Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 01:46 It is currently 13 May 2024, 01:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3606 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3606 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: How important are the advanced sections? I read through all [#permalink]
Kudos
ibbys wrote:
If I were to skip the advanced sections, do you think I would pick up some of the material through reading the official answer explanations across the different SC practice problems that I do?

Its a difficult question to answer. Practicing official questions with proper explanations would help for sure, but I advise you that do not skip the advance chapters. You may read them at later stage of your preparation once you are confident enough.

Even if you have to re-read the Mgmat sc guide 5-6 times, do so. It will bring fruits for sure. Some people, including me, have to work hard on specific areas. So do not speculate anything before. Keep reading and practicing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM
Kudos
ibbys,

The MGMAT guide is a wholesome guide that is essential in your preparation for your GMAT.

Your method is somewhat acceptable but it would be better if you could tweak it so that better results can be obtained.

Start off with the Manhattan SC Guide Basic chapters( As you said) and then instead of opening the OG12,open the OG10 and work on the SC questions. This way you will gain familiarity of the concepts of the questions without having to sacrifice the OG12 questions. Then, once you gain a certain level of confidence, you can start with the advanced chapters and complete OG10. Remember, this does not mark the end of your preparation of SENTENCE CORRECTION. You have to move on with OG12 which has the latest collection of SC Questions. Then, during your second reading of MGMAT SC Guide, i recommend you do it as the Guide is designed as it has been designed that way for a reason. Why reinvent the wheel ? Read each chapter and solve the questions at the end of the chapter. Continue till the end . Your second pass would ensure greater ability and confidence with Sentence corrections.

I would love to hear your comments..

PS: The best method would be to first solve as per the guide and then move on to OG10 . Since you wanted to start with OG, I recommended you to try this method.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2131 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
ibbys wrote:
How important are the advanced sections?

I read through all the beginning chapters but the advanced chapters are not really resonating too well with me. It seems like it just lists very specific/rare things to memorize.

Can someone please comment on this.

Thanks.

If you want to score up to 25 points in verbal then you may to skip the advanced part.
Each time I reread the advanced part I found something new for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
MGMAT is quite tough to understand, at least the way the material is presented for SC...it's just a bunch of bullets and lists for me. I learn best when I have examples...these are hard to come by in MGMAT SC in the chapters themselves.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I'm starting to try to re-read MGMAT SC again, lets see how things go. Wish me luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 570  Q44  V25 GMAT 3: 590  Q48  V23
WE 1: 5.0
Send PM
thesfactor wrote:
I'm starting to try to re-read MGMAT SC again, lets see how things go. Wish me luck!

it's worth. good job :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Im having the same problem.. the MGMAT SC is quite tough to understand an digest. Im a not from the US .. thats why I find reading the SC a bit hard.
I have only read it once and only the basic part... do you guys recomend I read it again? until I understand? I also have the kaplan SC fundamentas book... have any of you tried it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I have the same question too. The Advanced part of the SC guide is too daunting for me to absorb and my test is in 8 days! I do have the time to go through it,atleast one reading, but I wonder if this will help me.
I've done the OG questions and managed to notedown a lot of rules that I picked from the OG explanation. That itself is a lot of work!My accuracy in the OG is 75-80% and I'm shooting for a 650 score.

Do you think the Advanced chapters will help me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
Kudos
No, I honestly think everything that you need to know is in the early chapters, master the basics THEN move on to the advanced sections, you really should be hitting a high percentage of 600-700 level Qs before you jump to that advanced section, because that means youre above average, and you'll get those last few topics that are rarely seen or never covered :)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7790 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Although there is plenty of good material in the Advanced sections of our books, it's most important to thoroughly master the material in Part 1. If you can apply all the sentence correction principles introduced in Part 1, you will be prepared to deal with most of the sentence correction problems you see. I would recommend the Advanced section to those looking to fine-tune their already strong sentence correction skills. If this is a weak area for you, you are much better off continuing to practice and refine the fundamentals. Do you recognize a modifier when you see it? What do you look for when a sentence starts with "Unlike"? Can you reliably identify the subject of a sentence? It is these skills, and not the little, single-application rules, that will make a serious difference in your performance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Send PM
I have found that after reading Aristotle SC Grail, explanation given in MGMAT SC seems more beneficial.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I would also add in to mix in OG probs while going through the SC guide. I didn't and I was glossing through sections of the MGMAT SC book because it didn't really have that much context to me. Something that annoys me about MGMAT is that they don't have actual GMAT formated sample problems to work on the concepts you just learned. I plan to revisit after doing a handful of the SC probs in OG and narrowing down what I stumble on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Send PM
I would suggest you to dig the Manhattan SC guide several times. All the concepts tested in GMAT are there. I have read Manhattan SC guide more than 5 times. Every time I read I find some good things. The same is applicable in case of official guides. If you read the official guides several times, you will find that every time you will new things to learn.

Thanks.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts