Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
I was hoping to start a discussion on how important diversity is to people when choosing a school to attend. Also, what do you think contributes the most to a schools diversity?
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 14:59
Expert's post
Diversity doesn't really factor into my analysis when it comes to schools. I don't mean to scoff at diversity by any means. It's a strength for any school. But I just place it near the bottom of my priorities for choosing a school.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 04:59
I think Diversity is extremely important now that we live in a global society...if you want to gain experience and not just book knowledge, a diverse culture in an MBA program will round out your education. To ignore it, doesn't fully prepare you...what would you say are the most diverse Business Schools?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 09:36
diversity didn't factor into the decision at all but I am a straight + white + male and thus didn't fall into any of the diversity categories
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 01:08
Diversity plays an important role in the business school. Interacting socially with individuals who come from different backgrounds and different points of view creates a more interesting social environment for students looking to expand their personal and professional networks at the end of the day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 07:38
It's not important to me because it's more important to get my butt in first. The importance of diversity of work experience, race, and otherwise is up to the adcom.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 23:11
Diversity is to value diversity, educate and empower leaders, promote inclusion and respect in schools, workplaces, community services, businesses, and communities.
cbse schools in jaipur | cbse school jaipur
Intern
Intern
Schools: - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 19:03
Diversity is absolutely necessary as you will learn a tremendous amount about how other cultures work together when mixed with people from around the world. After sharing class with people from other continents it will really shape a new perspective and give you valuable business skills (namely cultural understanding and alternative perspectives). It would be a major neg if a school had more than 70% domestic students for me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 01:51
JJabsolute wrote:
Diversity is absolutely necessary as you will learn a tremendous amount about how other cultures work together when mixed with people from around the world. After sharing class with people from other continents it will really shape a new perspective and give you valuable business skills (namely cultural understanding and alternative perspectives). It would be a major neg if a school had more than 70% domestic students for me.

Actually, i agree with JJabsolute' opinion. In the same situation, after sharing class with people from other continents it will really shape a new perspective and give you valuable business skills and more. Diversity is your choice, it's up to you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 02:13
Hello Friends,

While traditional rankings place an emphasis on salaries after graduation, or the reputation of a school with top-tier recruiters, there are many candidates around the world who are seeking a different kind of MBA. They are looking for a cultural experience which will help them develop as business professionals and either stay and work in the country of study, or return home with a completely new and fresh perspective. These MBA candidates are looking for diversity.
QS TopMBA Scorecard presents diversity in the following manner: Values in brackets indicate an equal weighting given to each criteria:
- Percentage of female students (33%)
- Percentage of non-business first-degree students (33%)
- Percentage of international students (33%)
The following charts show the most diverse full-time MBA programmes in North America, and Europe for a standard student profile.
1 Brandeis Int'l Business School
2 University of Michigan Global MBA
3 Claremont Graduate University - Peter F Druker
4 Graduate School of Business Administration, Northeastern University
5 Bentley, McCallum Graduate School of Business
6 Daniels College of Business, University of Denver
7 Georgetown MBA, Georgetown University
8 Monterey Institute International Studies, Fisher Graduate School of International Business
9 Univeristy of South Carolina
10 College of William and Mary, Graduate School of Business
11 H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business and Entrepreneurship, Nova Southeastern University
12 Henry B. Tippie of Management, University of Iowa
13 Hult International Business School
14 Pepperdine University, The Graziado School of Business and Management
15 The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvannia
16 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
17 Alvah H. Chapman Jr., Graduate School of Business, Florida International University
18 Darden Graduate School of Business Administration
19 Harvard Business School
20 S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University

Thanks And Regards
Romen Esko
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 12:43
Diversity is important for me. Otherwise it kind of gets the privileged few getting opportunities (irrespective of race, gender and other segregation there are always privileged few in all places. Sometimes I find myself in that group and many times not. So this isn't about race) all the time. For me, no matter where it is, either university or work place or politics or what ever, if you only have a single set of characteristics in the organization then you're seriously under disadvantage. This is because you do not know the "know-how" of the other potential set of people that would bring in a new perspective. New thoughts give raise to new way of solving problems, new solutions (and better solutions) for existing challenges, all together a breath of fresh air. These are all so non-empirical that we may not have it in our analytical radar. But through experience you would see it adds so much value in the system that follows.
Trust me I wasn't smoking anything crazy while writing this!!!! :shock: and my eyes aren't popped out like the one in this smiley. :shock:
Re: How important is Diversity in your Graduate Business School?   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2012, 12:43