Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619033 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4104 [2]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [2]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 3 girls and 4 boys be seated in a row such that [#permalink]
Bookmarks
To find the number of ways to seat the 3 girls and 4 boys in a row such that no two girls are seated next to each other, we can use the concept of permutations.

First, we can arrange the boys in a row. There are 4 boys, so there are 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24 ways to arrange them.

Next, we need to consider the positions where the girls can be seated. We have 5 possible positions: before the first boy, between the first and second boy, between the second and third boy, between the third and fourth boy, and after the fourth boy.

Out of these 5 positions, we need to select 3 positions for the girls to be seated. We can choose these positions in C(5, 3) = 5! / (3! x (5-3)!) = 5! / (3! x 2!) = 10 ways.

Once the positions for the girls are selected, we can arrange the girls among themselves in those positions. There are 3 girls, so there are 3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 6 ways to arrange them.

Therefore, the total number of ways to seat the girls and boys is 24 x 10 x 6 = 1440

The correct option is E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 3 girls and 4 boys be seated in a row such that [#permalink]
I am new to PnC and I have a question here :
I understand that if I arrange the girls first fixing them in three places we have 3! shuffled ways for them
but now I have
_ G _ G _ G _
where _ indicates the number of positions where I can place boys meaning that there are 4C4 i.e. 1 such arrangement possible and 4! shuffled ways.
Here lies my doubt.

So can the answer be 4! * 3! * 4C4 = 144.

BUT

As explained by the posts above if I place Boys first then I have
_ B _ B _ B _ B _ indicating 4! * 3! * 5C3 cases or 1440 ways.

What am i missing here ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Nice question there, IshanSaini.

See in your first method you are missing out of 2 extra possible places of Girls. In "B1 G B2 G B3 G B4" A girl can sit ahead of B1 and after B4 as well. Out of 5 possible places, you are counting only 3 when you fix girl's position first.

Instead, what you should always do is fix places of NON-CONSTRAINT items first. Here we don't have any condition on placement of Boys and so first place them and then apply the condition that girls should sit apart from each other. Don't linger much on lingo, instead focus on the way these questions can be solved.

Hope it helped. Feel free to ping me if any doubt persists.

IshanSaini wrote:
I understand that if I arrange the girls first fixing them in three places we have 3! shuffled ways for them
but now I have
_ G _ G _ G _
where _ indicates the number of positions where I can place boys meaning that there are 4C4 i.e. 1 such arrangement possible and 4! shuffled ways.
Here lies my doubt.

BUT

What am i missing here ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
Thanks For the quick reply walterwhite756.
Yes, i see the point you are trying to make. Seems fair and i understand what was the error.

walterwhite756 wrote:
Nice question there, IshanSaini.

See in your first method you are missing out of 2 extra possible places of Girls. In "B1 G B2 G B3 G B4" A girl can sit ahead of B1 and after B4 as well. Out of 5 possible places, you are counting only 3 when you fix girl's position first.

Instead, what you should always do is fix places of NON-CONSTRAINT items first. Here we don't have any condition on placement of Boys and so first place them and then apply the condition that girls should sit apart from each other. Don't linger much on lingo, instead focus on the way these questions can be solved.

Hope it helped. Feel free to ping me if any doubt persists.

IshanSaini wrote:
but now I have
_ G _ G _ G _
Here lies my doubt.

BUT

What am i missing here ?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts