Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [18]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: How much water should the milkman add to milk purchased [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
monikaleoster wrote:
How much water should the milkman add to milk purchased by him for $20/- to get 50% profit?
(1) He has 1 litre of milk.
(2) He wishes to sell the diluted milk at $25 a litre.

I marked A. can anyone explain Why it is wrong

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Suppose we know only (A) ----- we know he bought 1 liter of milk for $20. We know he wants a 50% profit, which means making $30 in sales. What we don't know is how much he will charge for the milk he sells. If he sells the milk for $30/L, then he doesn't have to add any water, and he will make a 50%. If he sells the milk at $60/L, he could drink half of it, and sell the other half and still reap a 50% profit. I think you were assuming that the buying price and the selling price were the same ---- it would be very good preparation for your future, getting an MBA and after, to recognize that these two seldom are the same.

We need to know both how much milk and selling price, in order to answer the question. That's why (C) is the answer.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike,

Do you think this is real gmat Question as it has too many assumptions in DS ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mountain14 wrote:
Mike,

Dear Mountain14,
I think the framing of the question may be a little too folksy for the GMAT, but the substance of the question is perfectly legitimate. For example, the question could easily re-phrased in terms of some sort of obscure scientific liquid that a scientist is going to reduce and sell at a profit --- that would be very GMAT-like, and the principles of solution would be identical. We don't know to know anything about the liquid, its use or how to handle it, in order to answer a question about diluting it to achieve a certain profit. I think the only real assumption is that water is free, which seems like a quite reasonable assumption to make.
Does this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Mike,

Dear Mountain14,
I think the framing of the question may be a little too folksy for the GMAT, but the substance of the question is perfectly legitimate. For example, the question could easily re-phrased in terms of some sort of obscure scientific liquid that a scientist is going to reduce and sell at a profit --- that would be very GMAT-like, and the principles of solution would be identical. We don't know to know anything about the liquid, its use or how to handle it, in order to answer a question about diluting it to achieve a certain profit. I think the only real assumption is that water is free, which seems like a quite reasonable assumption to make.
Does this make sense?

I got what you mean.... Thanks... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Following thing is not clear to me:
How can milkman earn 50% profit by selling at $60.
I marked A as the answer.
For option B: SP= $25. CP= $20. Profit will be only 25% .
I do not have good understanding of mixture problems. So please explain how the two statements are together sufficient
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Given Kudos: 119
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
anamika7 wrote:
Following thing is not clear to me:
How can milkman earn 50% profit by selling at $60.
I marked A as the answer.
For option B: SP= $25. CP= $20. Profit will be only 25% .
I do not have good understanding of mixture problems. So please explain how the two statements are together sufficient

The question asks how much water should the milkman add to milk in order to get extra $10. He is not selling by $60, he paid $20 for X liters of milk and will sell Y liters of the mix milk+water to get $10 profit (50% of $20).

To answer this, you need to know how much milk he has and for how much he is going to sell the mix of milk+water.

Only 1 or only 2 is not enough to answer, but using 1 and 2 together we can answer the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
monikaleoster wrote:
How much water should the milkman add to milk purchased by him for $20/- to get 50% profit?

Suppose we know only (A) ----- we know he bought 1 liter of milk for $20. We know he wants a 50% profit, which means making $30 in sales. What we don't know is how much he will charge for the milk he sells. If he sells the milk for $30/L, then he doesn't have to add any water, and he will make a 50%. If he sells the milk at $60/L, he could drink half of it, and sell the other half and still reap a 50% profit. I think you were assuming that the buying price and the selling price were the same ---- it would be very good preparation for your future, getting an MBA and after, to recognize that these two seldom are the same.

We need to know both how much milk and selling price, in order to answer the question. That's why (C) is the answer.

Hi Mike,

As the price of water is not given, should we assume it as free of cost or should we opt option 'E'.

Satish.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
satishv80 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
monikaleoster wrote:

Hi Mike,

As the price of water is not given, should we assume it as free of cost or should we opt option 'E'.

Satish.

The intent of this question is clear - water costs nothing.
But, it is not specifically mentioned. An official question will mention "assume water is available free of cost". I have seen DS questions which specify the price of water too. Hence, I would not assume that water is available free of cost until and unless it is specifically mentioned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
monikaleoster wrote:

In this gmat like questions,what will be more appropriate choice C or E?
PLEASE HELP!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ssriva2 wrote:
monikaleoster wrote:

In this gmat like questions,what will be more appropriate choice C or E?
PLEASE HELP!

Dear ssriva2,
My friend, I am happy to help. :-) I see that there is a lot of discussion on this question, but not a solution. I will show it here.

Since you are asking about (C) vs. (E), I will assume that you recognize that each statement alone is insufficient. Also, note: we are assuming that water is free. I believe virtually everywhere in the world, tap water of these quantities, a liter or two, is essentially free. Yes, if I am going to build a housing development that will use millions of gallons daily, I need to think about water costs. If I am filling my liter water bottle from the tap, I don't need to think about water costs.

For this calculation, it will be helpful to think about rates, because this is similar to work rates:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-work-rate-problems/

Let's consider both statements together. We know he has a liter of milk, so he has spent $20---that's his cost. To get a 50% profit, he would have to have a revenue of $30.
If he is going to sell the diluted milk at $25/L, then to make a revenue of $30, he would have to sell ($30)/($25/L) = (6/5) L = 1.2 L. Well, he has a liter of milk, so he need to add 0.2 liters of water so that he winds up with 1.2 L of the diluted milk. That would sell for $30, which would give him a 50% profit.

With both statements combined, we can come to an exact numerical answer. Together the statements are sufficient. OA = (C).

Actually, for a problem such as this, yes, it's important to understand how to work the full solution, but in a DS set-up it's also an important skill to recognize that one could find the numerical answer, without actually doing all the calculations. That's what was happening in many of the responses above. Understanding how to do the calculations is very important, but ultimately, mastery of GMAT DS involves seeing that one could do the full solution without having to do every step of it.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Hi Karishma,
Can you please walk me through how we can solve this problem using Scale method (which uses concept of weighted average.) and assuming water is available free of cost.

And is it possible to solve almost all mixture questions using scale method?
I am very weak in solving mixture problem. It would be great if you can tell me some trick or any algorithm to solve questions.

Thanks,
Tripti
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
triptigahlot wrote:
Hi Karishma,
Can you please walk me through how we can solve this problem using Scale method (which uses concept of weighted average.) and assuming water is available free of cost.

And is it possible to solve almost all mixture questions using scale method?
I am very weak in solving mixture problem. It would be great if you can tell me some trick or any algorithm to solve questions.

Thanks,
Tripti

This is not a weighted average question. It is cost price, sale price and profit question. So you cannot solve it using scale method.
Cost price = $20
Profit = 50%
Sale Price = $30

He sells 1 liter at $25 so to earn $30, he must have 30/25 = 1.2 liters of solution. Since he has 1 lt of milk, he should add 0.2 lits of water.

Check this post on the scale method: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/0 ... -averages/
and this for details on using w. avgs for mixture questions: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/0 ... -mixtures/

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92922 posts