Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 04:41 It is currently 09 May 2024, 04:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: CBS '18 (D)
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9267 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: How to boost quant [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
It sounds like you're already in the Q47+ range, from your diagnostic scores. Luck plays a small role in determining your score on test day (because sometimes you need to guess, and on some tests, those guesses don't work out very well), and it's likely that you were a bit unlucky on your recent attempt. If your GMATPrep results were not inflated (e.g. from seeing repeat questions), I'd expect your Quant to go up between 1-3 points on your next attempt even if you don't do much prep at all.

But if you know you have a specific area of weakness, you should be able to make genuine improvement in two weeks, and that will not only make it more likely you score in the 47+ range, but also could put a Q50 score within reach. I think knowledge of Number Theory is often the differentiator between ~Q40-Q45 level test takers and ~Q50 level test takers. It's an important topic on the test, but that's not the only reason it matters; questions on number theory are often conceptual, not computational, and if you really understand the subject, you'll often be able to answer questions within 30 seconds. And when you can do that on a few questions, time pressure is often no longer an issue.

Since you've identified a specific area you want to focus on, you might benefit from an online tutoring session or two. If you do seek out a tutor, be sure to find someone who can help a test taker at your level. So be sure to find someone who will teach you concepts, rather than someone who will emphasize gimmicky test-taking tricks - you'll very quickly discover the limitations of strategies like backsolving when you try using them to solve number theory questions. And since you don't have time to waste, be sure to work with someone who is expert specifically about the GMAT, so you can be sure what you're learning will be relevant on test day. Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11676 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi alman888,

I have to assume that your big-picture goal is getting into your first-choice Business School. With a 700/Q45, you're right around the 90th percentile overall, so you can comfortably apply to any Business School that interests you. As such, I have to ask a few things about your overall plans:

1) Do you know which Schools you're planning to apply to?
2) When are you planning to apply?
3) Have you discussed any of your application plans with an Admissions Expert?

The reality of your situation is that you probably do NOT need to retest. While I understand that this might be more about 'pride' than anything else, I tend to be a pragmatist in these types of situations. If you have a score that makes you a competitive applicant, then a slightly higher score won't really matter.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How to boost quant [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
It sounds like you're already in the Q47+ range, from your diagnostic scores. Luck plays a small role in determining your score on test day (because sometimes you need to guess, and on some tests, those guesses don't work out very well), and it's likely that you were a bit unlucky on your recent attempt. If your GMATPrep results were not inflated (e.g. from seeing repeat questions), I'd expect your Quant to go up between 1-3 points on your next attempt even if you don't do much prep at all.

But if you know you have a specific area of weakness, you should be able to make genuine improvement in two weeks, and that will not only make it more likely you score in the 47+ range, but also could put a Q50 score within reach. I think knowledge of Number Theory is often the differentiator between ~Q40-Q45 level test takers and ~Q50 level test takers. It's an important topic on the test, but that's not the only reason it matters; questions on number theory are often conceptual, not computational, and if you really understand the subject, you'll often be able to answer questions within 30 seconds. And when you can do that on a few questions, time pressure is often no longer an issue.

Since you've identified a specific area you want to focus on, you might benefit from an online tutoring session or two. If you do seek out a tutor, be sure to find someone who can help a test taker at your level. So be sure to find someone who will teach you concepts, rather than someone who will emphasize gimmicky test-taking tricks - you'll very quickly discover the limitations of strategies like backsolving when you try using them to solve number theory questions. And since you don't have time to waste, be sure to work with someone who is expert specifically about the GMAT, so you can be sure what you're learning will be relevant on test day. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement. Both are much appreciated.

My GMAT Prep scores probably aren't that inflated (maybe the 49 is because I've done that exam a few times, albeit spaced over months rather than, say, weeks). A 47 and 48 are definitely not inflated because they came from the Exam Pack. You're definitely right about luck - I've been battling a cold over the past week, leading up to and including the exam, so it's not been an ideal situation. Still, the disappointment lingers.

I suppose it's a case of keeping the Verbal up (41V) and rejigging Quant but no need to restart from the basic. Correct me if that's a poor strategy.

Again, thanks - you've motivated me!

Originally posted by alman888 on 27 Jun 2015, 16:50.
Last edited by alman888 on 27 Jun 2015, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi alman888,

I have to assume that your big-picture goal is getting into your first-choice Business School. With a 700/Q45, you're right around the 90th percentile overall, so you can comfortably apply to any Business School that interests you. As such, I have to ask a few things about your overall plans:

1) Do you know which Schools you're planning to apply to?
2) When are you planning to apply?
3) Have you discussed any of your application plans with an Admissions Expert?

The reality of your situation is that you probably do NOT need to retest. While I understand that this might be more about 'pride' than anything else, I tend to be a pragmatist in these types of situations. If you have a score that makes you a competitive applicant, then a slightly higher score won't really matter.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Your assumption is correct. Also, I'm trying to offset a somewhat low GPA, which is equivalent to 3.1 or thereabouts according to WES.

To answer your questions:

1) Columbia, Booth and LBS

2) This year, preferably ED for CBS, and as early as possible for the others

3) I have discussed plans with a couple of admissions consultants. Both said to increase my GMAT score, because of my GPA, to improve the odds. It's not exactly what I want to hear but they obviously have a fair idea of the candidate pool and understand the competitive environment.
GMAT Club Bot