Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 06:38 It is currently 14 May 2024, 06:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Re: How to go ahead now ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Since you have been studying for the GMAT for over a year without much improvement, there must be a fundamental issue in how you have been studying. I see you have used a number of different resources to prep for the GMAT; however, when using these resources have you been able to achieve linear and targeted learning? In other words, have you been able to master one topic before you move to the next? If not, you must follow that method of learning and practice to develop GMAT mastery.

For example, when learning about critical reasoning, attempt to master all aspects of critical reasoning, including the question types, before moving on to another section. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within each topic. For example, if you continually have trouble with strengthening arguments based on scientific evidence, you will want to identify and overcome that difficulty. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension and also for the quant section.

Failure to achieve this type of learning and practice could be the reason why you have been unable to increase your GMAT score since last year. So, before doing any more random practice, I suggest finding a study resource that will allow you to gain complete coverage and mastery of each GMAT topic, and practice just that topic until it sticks.

Lastly, you must keep in mind that GMAT success does not happen overnight. You might have to study for longer than one month in order to raise your GMAT score to a 650+. Thus, you might consider taking your GMAT at a later date and also consider applying to school in round 2.

But - don’t give up!!! You can make this happen!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Since you have been studying for the GMAT for over a year without much improvement, there must be a fundamental issue in how you have been studying. I see you have used a number of different resources to prep for the GMAT; however, when using these resources have you been able to achieve linear and targeted learning? In other words, have you been able to master one topic before you move to the next? If not, you must follow that method of learning and practice to develop GMAT mastery.

For example, when learning about critical reasoning, attempt to master all aspects of critical reasoning, including the question types, before moving on to another section. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within each topic. For example, if you continually have trouble with strengthening arguments based on scientific evidence, you will want to identify and overcome that difficulty. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension and also for the quant section.

Failure to achieve this type of learning and practice could be the reason why you have been unable to increase your GMAT score since last year. So, before doing any more random practice, I suggest finding a study resource that will allow you to gain complete coverage and mastery of each GMAT topic, and practice just that topic until it sticks.

Lastly, you must keep in mind that GMAT success does not happen overnight. You might have to study for longer than one month in order to raise your GMAT score to a 650+. Thus, you might consider taking your GMAT at a later date and also consider applying to school in round 2.

But - don’t give up!!! You can make this happen!!

Thanks Jeff !! I will try to follow the recommended method.. May b that works out and help me achieve my desired target.

I have already gone through number of material so not sure which one i should follow now, can you just suggest some books which i can diligently follow and work upon.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nikhilbansal08,

Given what you've described, you likely will need to (re)learn some content AND learn/practice some new Tactics. All of that work will require a longer study timeframe than you have. While your goal score is absolutely achievable, you're going to have to make some changes to your timeline to achieve it.

1) What is the next application deadline for SP Jain after August 31st?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi nikhilbansal08,

Given what you've described, you likely will need to (re)learn some content AND learn/practice some new Tactics. All of that work will require a longer study timeframe than you have. While your goal score is absolutely achievable, you're going to have to make some changes to your timeline to achieve it.

1) What is the next application deadline for SP Jain after August 31st?

Rich

Next application deadline will be next year in month of August...
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
As I’m sure you are aware, there are a plethora of resources available for GMAT prep. You can read official reviews and success stories on Beat The GMAT or GMAT Club to get an idea of what has worked for other students.

However, to prepare you for your GMAT quant, I welcome you to try out my course, Target Test Prep. The course has everything you'll need to self-study GMAT quant; the course is helping students crush the GMAT. It's an amazing resource that contains 20 chapters (about 500 lessons with 800 HD teaching videos) of concepts, wisdom, strategies, well-explained examples, and, of course, thousands of realistic practice GMAT math questions that will help you become a GMAT ninja and will provide you with a serious competitive advantage over your peers who may not yet be using this course. Also, feel free to take our no-cost 37- question quant diagnosticto get a detailed idea of your strengths and weaknesses.

If you need any further advice or would like to speak in detail, PM me, and I’d be happy to chat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Do you have the ESR's from your previous attempts? The enhanced score report is the most powerful performance analysis tool there is; your ESR's will certainly help us give you more specific advice if you post them here. Probably the best use of your money.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
As I’m sure you are aware, there are a plethora of resources available for GMAT prep. You can read official reviews and success stories on Beat The GMAT or GMAT Club to get an idea of what has worked for other students.

However, to prepare you for your GMAT quant, I welcome you to try out my course, Target Test Prep. The course has everything you'll need to self-study GMAT quant; the course is helping students crush the GMAT. It's an amazing resource that contains 20 chapters (about 500 lessons with 800 HD teaching videos) of concepts, wisdom, strategies, well-explained examples, and, of course, thousands of realistic practice GMAT math questions that will help you become a GMAT ninja and will provide you with a serious competitive advantage over your peers who may not yet be using this course. Also, feel free to take our no-cost 37- question quant diagnosticto get a detailed idea of your strengths and weaknesses.

If you need any further advice or would like to speak in detail, PM me, and I’d be happy to chat.

Thanks Jeff! i will surely check your course and will PM you for further advise and guidance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How to go ahead now ? [#permalink]
HiLine wrote:
Do you have the ESR's from your previous attempts? The enhanced score report is the most powerful performance analysis tool there is; your ESR's will certainly help us give you more specific advice if you post them here. Probably the best use of your money.

No i don't have the ESR for my previous attempts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nikhilbansal08,

With less than a month of study time remaining, and since you would have to make some significant improvements in both the Quant and Verbal sections, it's not practical to expect to hit a 650 in that timeframe. You have to remember what the REAL goal is though - getting the degree from your first-choice School. You've listed two application deadlines - hitting a 650 in August is not a practical goal, but hitting it by December IS absolutely doable. You can also apply to SP Jain next year. You can certainly continue to study and take the GMAT in August (there's absolutely no harm in doing so), but if you really 'MUST' have a 650+, then you're going to need more time and the proper study materials.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Since you've already hit a plateau after putting in so much time to study, I strongly recommend that you get a tutor. Not sure how much tutors cost where you are; can't be that bad. You're really short on time and without fundamentally changing the way you study, I'm afraid you won't be able to reach your goal. MBA programs are expensive; if you can afford an MBA program and multiple GMAT attempts, let alone many many hours of study, I'm sure you can afford a few hours with an Indian or international tutor. US-based tutors may be too pricey for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HiLine wrote:
Since you've already hit a plateau after putting in so much time to study, I strongly recommend that you get a tutor. Not sure how much tutors cost where you are; can't be that bad. You're really short on time and without fundamentally changing the way you study, I'm afraid you won't be able to reach your goal. MBA programs are expensive; if you can afford an MBA program and multiple GMAT attempts, let alone many many hours of study, I'm sure you can afford a few hours with an Indian or international tutor. US-based tutors may be too pricey for you.

Thanks a lot !! I am starting to prepare again and lets see how it goes....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HiLine wrote:

Yes you are right Hi Line.. I definitely need a tutor who will guide and show me the path.. I have started the search ..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for the replies !

You guys motivated me a lot to make a fresh start. Now i am starting and will give the Mock in November and will surely post the result on the same forum....

Hope it changes this time :)

Cheers...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
nikhilbansal08 wrote:
HiLine wrote:

Yes you are right Hi Line.. I definitely need a tutor who will guide and show me the path.. I have started the search ..

Very cool. Good luck. Remember that if you want this attempt to be your last, you'll have to be on top of your own progress. There is no time left to be wasted. Make sure your tutor teaches you a system and walks you through examples to show you how to apply the system. Then apply the system yourself, and ask your tutor if you have difficulty with specific questions. Every question you answer, you have to understand how the system works for the question. If a tutor only teaches you examples rather than a system, he's not a good tutor. And don't bother with anyone that has not scored at least a 720. :wink:
GMAT Club Bot