Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: How to solve long multiplications? [#permalink]
LighthousePrep wrote:
tehminanoor wrote:
I am currently messing up with quantitate section but it takes lot of time to multiply or divide a long integer. Is their any tactic to Solve them in lesser time? Also am having problem with sqrt and fractions. Some one please help me to get through this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi tehminanoor,

That's a great question! From my experience, it is very rare that you have to do a lot of tedious/complex calculating on the GMAT. If you find yourself having to do that, you may have missed the opportunity to use some more effective strategy for solving the problem.

Here are a few tips that may be helpful:
1) Learn the mental math tricks. A quick google search for "mental math tricks" will give you tons of helpful resources.
2) One important thing about the GMAT structure is that you don't get any points for precise accuracy. You just need to solve enough of the problem to choose the correct answer out of the five given to you (or eliminate 4 of them). Therefore, you can employ tactics like...

-estimation/ballparking - round numbers up or down and then solve the problem to get a rough idea of what the answer should look like. This will often help you eliminate answer choices or choose between a couple remaining options.
-plugging in answers - exactly what it sounds like, take the answer and see if you can plug it in as a variable
-discover a math property - sometimes there is a math property out there but in the pressure of the test you don't know it or remember it. Do some quick experiment to see if you can identify a pattern
-patterns - similarly if you know of a pattern already, then that might help you quickly do the math. For example: in three digit numbers, if you add each digit and the sum is a multiple of 3, then the full number is also a multiple of 3.
-solve enough of the problem to where you identify the right answer. For example, in a complex multiplication problem, once you figure out that the ones digit = 5, you can eliminate all of the answer choices that don't have a 5 in the ones digit.

These and other tricks may help you from having to do tedious calculations. Hope you find it helpful!

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I hope that will be helpful. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to solve long multiplications? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts