Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 10:49 It is currently 10 May 2024, 10:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Comprehension of using HP calculator early?

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
You guys are crazy for wanting to learn RPN. Go with the TI BAII Plus. More features, easier to use.

In the CFA exams, the kids with the 12C as their primary calculator would also bring a TI BAII Plus for some of the trickier problems that the 12C just couldn't solve.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
They just lacked l33t 12c skillz.

RPN is genius. My "life partner" never borrows it due to its craziness of not adding up for her, so I can always find it. And it has retro loveliness.

Another benefit of the 12c is that if you do some serious math power computing, you have time to go to the bathroom before it finishes. The only calculator to have concerns for your bladder management.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
naturallight wrote:
In the CFA exams, the kids with the 12C as their primary calculator would also bring a TI BAII Plus for some of the trickier problems that the 12C just couldn't solve.

Honestly, I know many CFA charterholders (including myself) that have only used HP-12c (I used 2 of them). We had no problem in solving any of the exams' questions.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What do you guys recommend for someone looking into IB immersion? I don't plan on taking the CFA but I just need a calculator for finance classes. So HP 10B or 12C?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
What do you guys recommend for someone looking into IB immersion? I don't plan on taking the CFA but I just need a calculator for finance classes. So HP 10B or 12C?

HP12C seems more popular with trial version you can find here.

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... calculator
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I prefer doing calculations in my head. :)

Actually, has anyone considered using a software based financial calculator on their computer instead? I don't know much about what features are required in a calculator, but shouldn't an appropriate software calculator be able to handle the task? Any reason not to do this?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm just curious about using a calculator. I would not buy one if the course does not require. But it does not hurt if you have a look at it before school starts, so you have general idea about it.

pelihu wrote:
I prefer doing calculations in my head. :)

Actually, has anyone considered using a software based financial calculator on their computer instead? I don't know much about what features are required in a calculator, but shouldn't an appropriate software calculator be able to handle the task? Any reason not to do this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: HP Calculator Comprehension [#permalink]
Hello GMATcram,
I've been utilizing this calculator so long time ago. HP 12C is a financial calculator. In general, this is the "business standard" calculator for financial experts and is suggested by AIMR for individuals taking the CFA exam. I would not prescribe this calculator for casual home utilize as it does take some time to master, yet once mastered it is a very capable tool.
Thanks
Zarajohn@
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HP Calculator Comprehension [#permalink]