Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Huge difference between the mock tests and real test [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Practicegmat wrote:
Hi Experts,
Before giving the bad news, let me list my last 2 mock tests results , the tests which I took this week :

MGMAT full test : 710 ( Q50, V36) --- 28th Jul
Gmat Prep : 730 ( Q48, V42) --- 29th Jul

Also please note that my other mock test results were between 690 to 730 in the past 1.5 months

And my real GMAT score today : 640 ( Q48, V29) . This is lower than my past GMAT score : 660 ( Q50, V29).

I am not really not understanding what really went wrong.

Analyzing what really went wrong with verbal today :

1. 1-20 questions : I felt that I am going fine. But finished in 45 mins ....there was a disturbance in between when there was network issue and I was at the 12th question(2nd RC 1st question), but I was fine ( at least thats what I felt .. in fact I got extra time to think for sometime as the screen hanged in front of me and there was no time loss because the clock stopped ticking.. I could think about the question seeing the screen)
2. But as I was late by 5 mins when I started the 21st question , I had to randomly mark Q 21, 22, 23 , 24 as (c) in all cases , as these questions were from the 3rd RC. May be I did the blunder here. Not sure.
3. Other questions for CR , SC were fine... but I think I randomly marked the RC again ( 3 questions as C) when I was at the questions in early thirties. I think this might be another blunder ?
4. I skiped 38th and 40th question ( both were CR) as I was short of time

But whatever be the case, I think skipping 2 RCs cant bring my score down to 29!!!!! Can it ? But I did the same many times in the mock tests , randomly marking (C) for the 3rd and 4th RC, but still managed to get 35 in verbal.

My questions to you on my verbal disaster:

1. Please tell me what you feel about my performance today. Do you really think that I still need to work on the basics,or strategy was the issue for me. If you feel that I had a issue with the strategy, what were those issues

2. Have you come across any other students who had such a difference in scores between the mock tests and real tests. If yes, what were their issues? Can such issues be rectified in 1 month by an a student who is working( because I cant take leave next month)

3. Please advice me what next steps should I follow. If I want to re-take the exam on 1-sep, can I get 40 in verbal(I will take care of Quant and make it 50 at least in 1 month) Do you really doubt my preparation ? Do you advice me to retake after 2 months instead of 1 month?

4. If I re-take in 1 month, please help me with the steps as to how I will prepare this month.

Lately, there have been quite a few people on the forum who have got lower than expected Verbal scores. Here are some of our thoughts on this phenomena:
possible-reasons-for-unexpected-verbal-scores-156586.html

In your case, I would like to add another thing - you cannot build a strategy based on prep test algorithms. No algorithm (including official GMAT prep test) that you have access to is as sophisticated as the actual GMAT algorithm. GMAC has been tweaking that algorithm for years now and of course, it doesn't feel the need to update the official GMAT prep test algorithm as often (if at all). After all, the prep tests are supposed to give you a feel of the actual GMAT - they don't have to prepare you for it. We at Veritas (and other test prep companies too, I am sure) have tried to replicate the algorithm using the directions given by GMAC but would I suggest you to develop strategies based on any algorithm (e.g. skip 3rd and 4th RC or skip 4 questions in a row and your score wont get affected)? No. We have talked about what to do if you are short on time here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... for-field/

Basically, if you have to guess, you must spread them around. Guessing 3 or 4 in a row is worse than guessing 1 after every 5 questions. Say, you are at question 24 and averaging around a score of 650. Say, the software gives you a 680 level question. If you feel it is very time consuming and would rather guess on it, well, at worst, the software will give you another 650 level question (perhaps 660 actually). If you guess on that and 3 more questions, the software may actually take you down to 600. You may or may not have enough time to recover. The point is, if you must guess, a question here and a question there is better than 4 together.
For more discussion on this topic, check this: need-advice-scored-680-700-in-mocks-but-560-in-actual-test-149232.html#p1197971
Manager
Manager
Send PM
brianlange77 wrote:
Sorry that you were disappointed with your score performance. In reading your narrative, I do think there are some opportunities for improvement of your approach to time management on the exam. I'd encourage you to read the following article -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nt-part-1/ -- which provides some thoughts/tips on how to best manage timing.

Am I reading your notes correct that you had to guess/skip 9 questions on verbal? That can absolutely explain the type of score drop that you experienced.

When you were getting those scores on the mock exams -- how many questions were you guessing/skipping?

Thanks.

-Brian

Thanks for the Reply Brian,
Yeah .. you are correct.. I have skipped more question in the actual test .. a total of 9!!!
But in practice tests I used to skip 4-6 questions ..
Any tips how do I manage my time better?

Thanks !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Practicegmat wrote:
Hi Experts,
Before giving the bad news, let me list my last 2 mock tests results , the tests which I took this week :

MGMAT full test : 710 ( Q50, V36) --- 28th Jul
Gmat Prep : 730 ( Q48, V42) --- 29th Jul

Also please note that my other mock test results were between 690 to 730 in the past 1.5 months

And my real GMAT score today : 640 ( Q48, V29) . This is lower than my past GMAT score : 660 ( Q50, V29).

I am not really not understanding what really went wrong.

Analyzing what really went wrong with verbal today :

1. 1-20 questions : I felt that I am going fine. But finished in 45 mins ....there was a disturbance in between when there was network issue and I was at the 12th question(2nd RC 1st question), but I was fine ( at least thats what I felt .. in fact I got extra time to think for sometime as the screen hanged in front of me and there was no time loss because the clock stopped ticking.. I could think about the question seeing the screen)
2. But as I was late by 5 mins when I started the 21st question , I had to randomly mark Q 21, 22, 23 , 24 as (c) in all cases , as these questions were from the 3rd RC. May be I did the blunder here. Not sure.
3. Other questions for CR , SC were fine... but I think I randomly marked the RC again ( 3 questions as C) when I was at the questions in early thirties. I think this might be another blunder ?
4. I skiped 38th and 40th question ( both were CR) as I was short of time

But whatever be the case, I think skipping 2 RCs cant bring my score down to 29!!!!! Can it ? But I did the same many times in the mock tests , randomly marking (C) for the 3rd and 4th RC, but still managed to get 35 in verbal.

My questions to you on my verbal disaster:

1. Please tell me what you feel about my performance today. Do you really think that I still need to work on the basics,or strategy was the issue for me. If you feel that I had a issue with the strategy, what were those issues

2. Have you come across any other students who had such a difference in scores between the mock tests and real tests. If yes, what were their issues? Can such issues be rectified in 1 month by an a student who is working( because I cant take leave next month)

3. Please advice me what next steps should I follow. If I want to re-take the exam on 1-sep, can I get 40 in verbal(I will take care of Quant and make it 50 at least in 1 month) Do you really doubt my preparation ? Do you advice me to retake after 2 months instead of 1 month?

4. If I re-take in 1 month, please help me with the steps as to how I will prepare this month.

Lately, there have been quite a few people on the forum who have got lower than expected Verbal scores. Here are some of our thoughts on this phenomena:
possible-reasons-for-unexpected-verbal-scores-156586.html

In your case, I would like to add another thing - you cannot build a strategy based on prep test algorithms. No algorithm (including official GMAT prep test) that you have access to is as sophisticated as the actual GMAT algorithm. GMAC has been tweaking that algorithm for years now and of course, it doesn't feel the need to update the official GMAT prep test algorithm as often (if at all). After all, the prep tests are supposed to give you a feel of the actual GMAT - they don't have to prepare you for it. We at Veritas (and other test prep companies too, I am sure) have tried to replicate the algorithm using the directions given by GMAC but would I suggest you to develop strategies based on any algorithm (e.g. skip 3rd and 4th RC or skip 4 questions in a row and your score wont get affected)? No. We have talked about what to do if you are short on time here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... for-field/

Basically, if you have to guess, you must spread them around. Guessing 3 or 4 in a row is worse than guessing 1 after every 5 questions. Say, you are at question 24 and averaging around a score of 650. Say, the software gives you a 680 level question. If you feel it is very time consuming and would rather guess on it, well, at worst, the software will give you another 650 level question (perhaps 660 actually). If you guess on that and 3 more questions, the software may actually take you down to 600. You may or may not have enough time to recover. The point is, if you must guess, a question here and a question there is better than 4 together.
For more discussion on this topic, check this: need-advice-scored-680-700-in-mocks-but-560-in-actual-test-149232.html#p1197971

Thanks for the reply Karishma!

I have a question on the Veritas mock tests - do I get to see the time how much I took per question?
Is there any tool which will help me to get my time managemet better and predictable ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey PracticeGMAT - regarding the pacing component on the Veritas tests, yes, we track your time on each question and also show you the average amount of time taken on that question so you can get a feel for how you're doing compared with others. Since pacing isn't "linear" (not all quant questions take exactly 2:04), it's helpful to get a feel for about how long each particular question should take.

Thanks Brian for the reply.. I will check that
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Practicegmat wrote:
brianlange77 wrote:
Sorry that you were disappointed with your score performance. In reading your narrative, I do think there are some opportunities for improvement of your approach to time management on the exam. I'd encourage you to read the following article -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nt-part-1/ -- which provides some thoughts/tips on how to best manage timing.

Am I reading your notes correct that you had to guess/skip 9 questions on verbal? That can absolutely explain the type of score drop that you experienced.

When you were getting those scores on the mock exams -- how many questions were you guessing/skipping?

Thanks.

-Brian

Thanks for the Reply Brian,
Yeah .. you are correct.. I have skipped more question in the actual test .. a total of 9!!!
But in practice tests I used to skip 4-6 questions ..
Any tips how do I manage my time better?

Thanks !

The best way to improve timing is to get comfortable with giving up on questions. Seriously -- would you rather spend 5 minutes on a hard question you are going to get wrong? Or realize you are going to get it wrong in 90 seconds and then have freed up 3.5 minutes to hopefully work on easier questions.

Do you time yourself when working on practice problems, etc.?

You might find this link helpful -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nt-part-1/

Good luck!

-Brian
GMAT Club Bot