Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks [#permalink]
Thank you all for the encouragement. It really helps. My issue is that I know that material well. I do well on the all my practice tests (I mimic the real ones with no breaks, etc) and I was very confident, but I just get those test-day jitters. Does anyone have any suggestions to help that? Overall, my problem for me is that I have a sub-par undergraduate GPA. but everything else is fine. Thanks again all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
chriswil2005,
If you want my advice, do the practise test along with the AWA - i.e. do not skip the two AWA sections. You will see the difference.

spiderman_xx
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks [#permalink]
spiderman. Thanks for the advice. However, I do take the AWA portion with all my practice tests. I just get really nervous when it comes to the real thing. I forgot to mention in my first post that I got over 700 on all my Princeton Review practice test (took the AWA with each of them). All in all, I get great practice test scores because I know it is not the real thing. I feel relaxed and confident. When I have to guess (which will happen from time to time on the real thing), I just guess and move on without thinking about it again. But when I took the real test on Monday, I got very nervous and got rattled when I had to guess. I just need to figure out a way to calm myself down. Any suggestions anyone?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Chris,
Anxiety is normal and all of us go through that. It is ONLY you who can help yourself. You will need to conquer your fear and anxiety. No one can help you since you know yourself the best. Find out what comforts you and what works for you, seek help from a friend if need be.... have confidence.. you can do it especially if your PR scores are as high as 700.

Remember its just a damn test.... and don't let it get onto your nerves.

Spiderman_xx
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This might sound dumb but it works for some people:

Take the practice test in a loud place with many annoying distractions. If you can find something near a construction site or a public place where people enter and leave frequently- all the better. Depending on what city you live in just open the window for the lovely sounds of traffic, airplanes taking off, gun shots whatever.

This is can be an effective method of overcoming anxiety- if you can find the strength to continue working under such annoying conditions you can find the strength to tune out fears of performance during the test. You might even walk away from the real GMAT remarking how calm and peaceful the test center seemed . . .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
gun shots whatever

hahaha :P

chris, if possible, take your GMAT in the middle of a gang fight :P :P

more seriously, I think that going slow at the begining is a key element, if you take time and find the solution you will be confident because sometimes you can feel you found the right answer.

Moreover, I think that this is really a personal matter, you should find a way to relax yourself, so it's definitely up to you. Good luck.

I will take the GMAT for the 3rd time next week so I know your feeling too. wish you success...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Antmavel [#permalink]
Again. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have already scheduled the test (for the 4th time :oops: ). I plan on doing some yoga and using breathing exercises to get relaxed. I will let you guys know my progress.

Antmavel. Good luck on your test. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Antmavel [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts