Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I am in big dilemma: what to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I am in big dilemma: what to do? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 12:48
I applied to 7 schools. I am waiting for my green card to arrive, I filed under EB1 category (no labor cert) which is supposed to be fastest and now I can expect it anytime (but I still don't have it). They are processing for people who filed much later than me, so the delay does not make sense. I am meeting with an immigration office on jan 31st

Maryland (Smith) is askign for a copy of green card now, no other schools asked for it.

My hope was that it will definitely come before Fall 2007, if not I will try to take a deferral on admit. I don't want to go back on F-1. The reason I did not apply last year was I knew that I won't get my green card in 06 anyway. There is no point in going back to F-1. I spent so much effort in green card application and if I go back to F-1, I have to do the whole bloody process again after I graduate (USCIS is the most inefficient organization in US).

No what should I tell Maryland: that my lawyer said the green card should arrive soon so thats why I wrote in application that I am a permanent resident. Will they take it in a very negative way (and coudl they inform other schools also where I applied, I did mention some (not all) in their application where they asked where else did you apply.

One of my friend had did the same (filed application as permanent resident and he got his green card in April so he had no issues). Shoudl I inform all the schools. That will be a big negative? I already have two interview invites....

Please advise
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 13:09
A difficult query, but I would imagine the best course of action here is honesty. Simply tell em youve applied for your green card, its pending, and you should have it shortly. In the mean time, offer to send them a copy of whatever VISA you are currently on.

I wouldnt necessarily go reach out to other schools at this point, but keep in mind that if you green card doesnt come through you could have problems getting other visas in time.

Also, keep in mind most schools don't let you just defer admissions at will.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 13:22
When you say "I am waiting for my green card to arrive", does that mean that your application has been approved and you're waiting for it to arrive, or that you sent in your application and do not yet have a result?

I have a nightmare to tell you about might greencard. First, let me say that I've been in the US since I was 2 and I have been a permanent resident since I was like 7. I just needed to send it in for renewal.

They told me that it would take 2-3 months, so in anticipation of a friends bachelor party in Mexico I sent in my renewal (along with the current card) about 5-6 months in advance. They notified me NINE months later to go in for my biometrics. Needless to say I missed the bachelor party. My card arrived about 6 weeks after they took my biometrics (sooner than expected actually) BUT it arrived with an error. They put the wrong country of birth! Seriously.

So, the only way to get this corrected is to fill out the I90 renewal form again AND return the new green card. Needless to say, I was reluctant to do so after waiting over 10 months to get it. But I sent it back, and after 3 more months with no news, I called in to find out that you must wait a minimum of 180 days before inquiring about an application! I tried to point out that it was their error, and that it was just a correction, and that it was ridiculous, etc. etc. etc. but nothing could be done.

About a month after this, I received a letter saying my application for correction had been approved, BUT there was an error in the letter! They misspelled my damn name! I'm not joking. These are the people managing no-fly lists and doing secret background checks (immigration is now part of the department of homeland security). SO, I spent about 2 hours trying to talk to someone regarding the error in the letter, and the anticipated mistake in the actual card. 4 different people blew me off and told me nothing could be done. Finally, I got hold of a nice girl who helped by sending a message to the processing center.

I have no idea whether this actually made a difference, but I finally got my card with the correct information. It only took them 15 months to send a renewal card. I have no idea what it takes to get a new card.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 13:31
Well there are many of these horror stories. There are bunch of bozos working in USCIS. I don't see any problems in approval, it is delayed because of some stupid FBI name check. One of my friend got it in 5 months and it has been close to 16 months for me. Worst case i will reapply if I don't get deferrals.

there is >95% chance that it will come. Recently USCIS has been getting lot of flak because of unnecessary delays

(depends on different centers too: Currently California is fastest where he applied and Vermint where I applied is slowest)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 13:36
I don't know how that works. I'm in California, but my stuff was sent to the Missouri processing center.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2007, 08:53
I think I beat you all. I've filed my application in DC prior to going to college. When I moved for college, I tried to have the green card process moved to the local INS offices, but they informed me that doing so would require me to start over. This was after 12 months of waiting with no news, communications or anything. 16 months into the process, I was informed my paperwork had been "lost", and I would have to fill out a few forms again, and come in person to present Identification when providing the paperwork. I asked if I could do it locally, they said no. I flew to DC, handed a woman the paperwork, showed her my id and flew back.

Six months later, I got a call to get fingerprinted. Again, I asked if I could do it locally, again they denied the request. I flew to DC, walked up to an ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINTING DEVICE WHICH PRESUMABLY IS NETWORKED (SO WHY CANT I DO IT IN ANOTHER STATE!), and got fingerprinted. I flew back.

Roughly three months after that I got called for "an interview". Again, it couldn't be done locally. I flew to DC and showed up to the interview - and after waiting four hours past my scheduled time, I walked into the office. Some papers had been lost AGAIN, but fortunately I was able to prove it had been sent, and after another two hours of searching/debating/validating with whoever in other offices, they agreed they didn't need the paperwork.

Two or three months after that I got my green card.

It basically took me three years - and that was pre 9/11 !!

I cant imagine what its like now!
  [#permalink] 20 Jan 2007, 08:53