Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I don't know if I should get an MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I don't know if I should get an MBA? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 02:41
Hi, I'm new here. So basically I graduated from a pretty good school in 2012 with a degree in humanities/liberal arts. I was totally going to go to law school, but things didn't work out too well with the LSAT, and eventually I decided law wasn't for me.

Not too long later, I was very fortunate and landed a position as an analyst doing operations work for a major entertainment company (think Disney). I've been working here for some time now and I'm very content with where I am at for the moment. My family has been encouraging me to pursue an MBA sometime down the road though. I've thought about it too, but I'm not sure if I should? TBH, I'd only go to a top national school or a top regional school anyways, so I'm aware that I wouldn't get an MBA just for the sake of having the degree. I guess I have some questions.

1) Would a MBA really help me in the sense that I have a "worthless" humanities degree? I feel like it would add a quantitative quality to my resume. But considering my career goals, I'm not sure what the clear cut benefits would be (see below). I suppose I also believe a MBA would help a bit, should I ever lose my job from a lay off or anything. I mean, I have some self-esteem issues with my crappy undergrad major. In hindsight it wasn't a great choice, but I know at the same time my work experience will give me some leverage.

2) Is my current position/field of work even qualified for an MBA? Obviously MBA schools want work experience, but work experience as an Investment Analyst vs Administrative Assistant are 2 different things. I work as an analyst in operations for a major entertainment company. I don't do much in terms of financial analysis though, mainly working with licensing agreements and distribution deals.

In terms of my career goal, truth be told, I like what I'm doing now and I like who I work for. I suppose you can say my 5 year plan for now is really to just keep working and move up within the company. If I were to get an MBA, it'd most likely be part-time anyways. But I'm just wondering if it'd be worth going to school for 33 months for night classes or Saturday classes for just another line on my resume. Oh, and not to mention the cost. Ultimately, I "think" I would just want an MBA because:

a) It compensates for my crappy BA.
b) It might help me in my future job outlook.
c) It might help me move up/get a better position within my company.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 6

Re: I don't know if I should get an MBA? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 15:16
Expert's post
Hi blueled,

The MBA question is a complex one and is uniquely different for each person. Try to reach out to people in your field who have gone through the process and hear what they have to say. Look up alumni directories, or ask around for contacts. Humanities degrees are certainly not worthless, especially if you have strong work expression with upward progression. But if that's not the case, and you're not learning / being challenged, then MBA is something to consider. Again, reach out to contacts in your industry to hear their perspective.

You may also like this article on the GMAT as an open call option on your future career: gmat-as-financial-call-option-144674.html

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 534 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: I don't know if I should get an MBA? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 02:57
Expert's post
Well, you gotta take a look at your SPECIFIC goals, and what people in your industry is doing. The Media industry is super famous for being nepotistic and network-related, so you gotta think how much an MBA will help you there (nobody does an MBA for the math... you want the math.. go to a community college, take 5,6 courses, and you're good I mean unless you h ave an extra 150K lying around and you want to dot he MBA for fun!). The first thing I would say is to look at resume of folks in your target jobs... think about when you would like to be in a few years and what others have done to get there. If nobody has an MBA, or everybody, well then you have the beginning of an answer.

You could also look into doing MBA (or perhaps double degree with film school) in a school like UCLA for the networking. that could be a great idea for you.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: I don't know if I should get an MBA?   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2013, 02:57