Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I'm worried that I'm not applying to strong enough schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I'm worried that I'm not applying to strong enough schools [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 06:27
After speaking with my dad and I friend of his, both of whom I would consider pretty high up in the business world, I'm starting to second-guess my MBA application choices.

Right now, I am planning on applying to Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg, and Sloan in round 1 of this year.

Basically, they are saying that I am making a mistake not applying to Stanford and Booth, and the other 3 to which I'm applying are not in the same league as H/W. I do not want to live on the West Coast, be an entrepreneur, or work for a tech firm, hence why I had discarded Stanford.

Careerwise, I want to go into corporate strategy at a large financial services company (JPM Chase, Citigroup, Capital One, Amex, etc.)

Background:
780 GMAT
Currently 2 years of consulting at small boutique place focusing on investment banks (3 upon matric)
Currently coach a youth sports team of underpriveleged kids and lead a group of SAT tutors for underpriveleged kids (within a bigger organization, didn't found group or anything)
3.6-3.7 GPA from H/Y/P/S undergrad
Varsity athlete, OK other extra currics but nothing special
White Male

Do you agree with their assessment? I feel like if I just apply to H/S/W/B, my application is not strong enough to guarantee I will get into at least one of them, so I need to apply to some lower-ranked schools (but I think that "safeties" don't make sense to apply to for MBAs). Of the other 3 on my list, Kellogg aligns well with my general management/strategy interests, Columbia's location is a big boon, and Sloan I have less time justifying but think I have a very good chance of getting in (dad is an alum and practically half my family across several has been to MIT undergrad) and think it is still very much worth attending and seems to be on the rise outside of finance and entrepreneurship.

I would appreciate any insight someone can give!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: I'm worried that I'm not applying to strong enough schools [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 09:16
If you don't want to go to Stanford, then it doesn't make any sense to apply. What if you applied to H / W / B for round one and pending those results then apply to Columbia, Kellogg, and Sloan in round two? That way you satisfy your dad and friend as well as apply to the schools you want to.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 1

Re: I'm worried that I'm not applying to strong enough schools [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 13:54
Expert's post
I agree with the previous poster - if you don't want to go there, don't apply. I know that sounds simple but that's because it is. There is far more to school selection than just their ranks.

With your stats, you should have a decent shot at multiple programs in the top 10. You're a little light on the professional experience side as well as extracurriculars so I don't want to mislead you there. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad - just not exceptional. And for the top 3, they generally look for exceptional.

However, with your GMAT - jeez! Apply! Congratulations on absolutely crushing it!

I think for the purposes of this post let's bifurcate between "lower ranked" and "safeties". The range of schools that would qualify as your "safeties" aren't true safeties. They are merely of a slightly lower rank. But I think you could easily diversify your school selection to mitigate risk and still stay in the top 10. If you wanted to add ONE more in the double digits, I would recommend Darden. They are really strong in finance and their case method would be helpful in giving you the foundation for a corporate strategy position.

This is your decision - it's a personal one. You're already applying to the top ranked programs in the world, if you don't want to apply to a particular one, don't. Your subject for this post leads me to believe you think Columbia is world's beneath H/S/W. It isn't. If you look at the spread in points assigned for rankings, the top 10 programs generally vary by fewer points than you think.

As a side note - while you can wait to R2 to apply to some schools based on how you do in R1, understand that your R2 applications will have to begin the moment you hit "submit" on R1 apps. You will have to work on them as if you're still planning on applying. If you get acceptances before, you can always pull the plug. Just something to note.

I hope that helps - you have a great list of schools to choose from and you will be incredibly happy and successful wherever you go. Just make sure it's somewhere you WANT to go :)

Good luck mate,

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: I'm worried that I'm not applying to strong enough schools   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2013, 13:54