Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Re: I think I'm ready for the retake...or will be in 14 days! [#permalink]
What are you going to do between now and your retake?
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I've been posting and searching like crazy on here. I was up until 4 am last night posting. To give you an idea, at this point I average 9.86 posts per day over the last 2 1/2 months I've been a member. Being active really makes a difference.

I'm going back over the last 50 DS problems in my OG Quant Supplement. I'm doing the last 50 CR problems too. I'm looking at the errors I make and creating a plan for approaching each problem to make sure I do not make the same mistakes again.

Example:

On DS questions when we have to know is x > y? And (1) x^2 < y^2 {off the top of my head example} I've created a list in my head of numbers I have to try ever single time. That list is {-2, -1, -1/2, 0, 1/2, 1, 2} I'll occasionally throw in -10 and 10 just to try and catch those equations that only act a certain way once you get to larger numbers.

Also, I have a check list on Quant problems. Every single problem (mainly DS) I ask my self about the possible types of numbers that can be used:
1. Can I use just any number? {\(\sqrt{3}\), 1, 1.5, -10, -3.14, etc}
2. Are the numbers limited to positive numbers? Negative numbers? Can x or y = 0?
3. Are only even numbers used? Only Odd Numbers? {Definitely important in a sequence problem.}

#4 - ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be sure you know EXACTLY what the question asks you to solve. I can't think of how many times i've computed how quickly Jon can type 20 pages of text when I was really being asked how fast Sam types. It's like running a marathon in the lead the whole time and tripping in the last meter and losing! Uuuughhh!

One tip for SC. Follow grammar rules. The writers of the GMAT have to make this test where non-native English speakers can also do well. If the SC were about what "sounded" correct, it would be a pointless verbal exam.

I compare it to algebra. We are trained to recognize \(x^2 + 2xy + y^2 = (x + y)^2\). If we read it and our only reason for saying it is correct is that it "sounds" right, we might not catch it if we saw \(x^2 + 4yx + y^2 = (x + y)^2\) which is incorrect....but the difference in the way it "sounds" is very little.

HTH
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Dude, if you do not join the 700 club....I am going to smack you! You seem to be doing really well and your investment in the test is immense. Im actually really excited to hear about how you do. It feels like I am waiting for a movie to come to theaters that I really want to see :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
you have a good quant approach. you need to just be able to execute it on test day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Dude congrats for the gr8 score in the typical conditions so i can expect you better then 750 so go go Tiger and kill the GMAT monster :twisted:
jallenmorris wrote:
I've been posting and searching like crazy on here. I was up until 4 am last night posting. To give you an idea, at this point I average 9.86 posts per day over the last 2 1/2 months I've been a member. Being active really makes a difference.

I'm going back over the last 50 DS problems in my OG Quant Supplement. I'm doing the last 50 CR problems too. I'm looking at the errors I make and creating a plan for approaching each problem to make sure I do not make the same mistakes again.

Example:

On DS questions when we have to know is x > y? And (1) x^2 < y^2 {off the top of my head example} I've created a list in my head of numbers I have to try ever single time. That list is {-2, -1, -1/2, 0, 1/2, 1, 2} I'll occasionally throw in -10 and 10 just to try and catch those equations that only act a certain way once you get to larger numbers.

Also, I have a check list on Quant problems. Every single problem (mainly DS) I ask my self about the possible types of numbers that can be used:
1. Can I use just any number? {\(\sqrt{3}\), 1, 1.5, -10, -3.14, etc}
2. Are the numbers limited to positive numbers? Negative numbers? Can x or y = 0?
3. Are only even numbers used? Only Odd Numbers? {Definitely important in a sequence problem.}

#4 - ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be sure you know EXACTLY what the question asks you to solve. I can't think of how many times i've computed how quickly Jon can type 20 pages of text when I was really being asked how fast Sam types. It's like running a marathon in the lead the whole time and tripping in the last meter and losing! Uuuughhh!

One tip for SC. Follow grammar rules. The writers of the GMAT have to make this test where non-native English speakers can also do well. If the SC were about what "sounded" correct, it would be a pointless verbal exam.

I compare it to algebra. We are trained to recognize \(x^2 + 2xy + y^2 = (x + y)^2\). If we read it and our only reason for saying it is correct is that it "sounds" right, we might not catch it if we saw \(x^2 + 4yx + y^2 = (x + y)^2\) which is incorrect....but the difference in the way it "sounds" is very little.

HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
If you can score that high with distractions, the real thing should not be that bad.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
you are gonna do great. good luck, relax, just polish up. you are set
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
When I installed the GMATPrep software, I took GMATPrep 2 first (see score below). I took the first one yesterday and interestingly, I scored a 710! This time I had Q48, V40. One better in Quant, and 1 worse in Verbal...same score. I missed 7 SC and 5 RC!!! I had 2 minor distractions in the verbal section. The dog has to go out at the beginning and daughter woke up from her nap about 20 minutes it. I'm frustrated about missing that many SC and RC. I guess I need to work on my timing in the next few days since I take the test this Friday. Generally, I can get the questions right on here (or a good % of them), but I take longer than I should. The other frustrating thing is that once I review the incorrect answers on the test, I see why I missed it. As Calvin would say from Calvin & Hobbs "Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!" Good news is I got 3 or 4 RC passages and only got 1 question of those wrong. If I can keep my Qant the same an increase my verbal from 40 to 43 - 44 I'll be golden. I'm beginning to wonder if that's possible in 4 days.

Allen

jallenmorris wrote:
I took the second GMATPrep test tonight. It wasn't ideal conditions as my son started crying on question 14 and it took 10 minutes to calm him down so I could continue. I ended up guessing on the last 9 questions (missed 5 of the 9, so not bad %). I had missed 7 out of 28, so I was getting 75% right. It follows that if I had worked those 9 questions, I would have gotten 25% wrong, (2 or 3 wrong). That gave me a Q47 score. I did get Question 19, 20, 21 wrong which I remember doing while trying to rock my son back to sleep after he stopped the 10 minute crying session.

Verbal
I got 11 verbal wrong. 5 of the last 12, so I was doing great early and then fell of towards the end. I ended the verbal section at 10:50 p.m. That's not an ideal time to be taking the test.

I'm pleased with a 710 (Q47, V41) under these conditions. We'll see if I can't bring up the verbal in the next 2 weeks.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts