Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619221 [26]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619221 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: If 90 students auditioned for the school musical, how many [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
If 90 students auditioned for the school musical, how many were accepted?

(1) 2/3 of the boys and 1/3 of the girls who auditioned were accepted.
(2) 26 of the boys who auditioned were accepted.

We are given that 90 students auditioned for a musical, and we need to determine how many were accepted.

Statement One Alone:

2/3 of the boys and 1/3 of the girls who auditioned were accepted.

With statement one, we can set up two equations in which b = the number of the boys who auditioned and g = the number of girls who auditioned:

b + g = 90

(2/3)b + (1/3)g = total accepted

We see we do not have enough information to determine how many students were accepted. Statement one is not sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

26 of the boys who auditioned were accepted.

Without knowing how many girls were accepted, we do not have enough information to determine how many total students were accepted. Statement two is not sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choice B.

Statements One and Two Together:

From statements one and two we know the following:

b + g = 90

(2/3)b + (1/3)g = total accepted

We also know that 26 boys who auditioned were accepted. Thus we can say:

(2/3)b = 26

b = 26 x 3/2

b = 39

Since there are 39 boys and 90 total students, we know there are 90 – 39 = 51 total girls. We also know that 1/3 of the girls who auditioned were accepted. Thus, we know that 51 x 1/3 = 17, is the total number of girls who were accepted. So finally we can say:

A total of 39 boys + 17 girls = 56 students who auditioned were accepted.

The answer is C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I was able to solve this problem using only the given information from choice A as follows:
Step 1: (2/3)x + (1/3)x = 90 - x
Step 2: x = 90 - x
Step 3: 2x = 90
Step 4: x = 45 ~ I used this value to plug into the fractions given from Step 1
Step 5: (2/3)(45) = 30
Step 6: (1/3)(45) = 13
Step 7: 30 + 13 = 43 total were accepted

I understand that my discreet values for male and female differ from the explanations given in the thread, but I am curious how this is incorrect given the question is asking for the total number (inclusive M + F), which strangely enough came out to be the same value as the solution. In short, why does it matter that number of female and male numbers are exact when I was able to come to the same total as the solution?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
choss75 wrote:
I was able to solve this problem using only the given information from choice A as follows:
Step 1: (2/3)x + (1/3)x = 90 - x
Step 2: x = 90 - x
Step 3: 2x = 90
Step 4: x = 45 ~ I used this value to plug into the fractions given from Step 1
Step 5: (2/3)(45) = 30
Step 6: (1/3)(45) = 13
Step 7: 30 + 13 = 43 total were accepted

I understand that my discreet values for male and female differ from the explanations given in the thread, but I am curious how this is incorrect given the question is asking for the total number (inclusive M + F), which strangely enough came out to be the same value as the solution. In short, why does it matter that number of female and male numbers are exact when I was able to come to the same total as the solution?

Your initial equation isn't a good translation of the info in the question & statement. What is 'x', specifically, in your equation?

If x is 'the number of boys who auditioned', then you can't use the same variable in both 2/3 x and 1/3 x. That's because you don't know that the same number of girls and boys auditioned. You'd need to write something like '2/3 x + 1/3 y', instead.

Also, where is the 90-x coming from? The problem tells you that 2/3 x + 1/3 y sums to 'the number of students who were accepted'. We don't know that the number of students who were accepted is 90-x. (That would be like saying 'the number of students who were accepted is equal to the number of female students'. If x is the number of male students, then 90-x would be the number of female students.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello Chelsey,
You asked some great questions, so bear with me here. I did some further thinking on this question after posting my comment and I do completely agree with what you've pointed out. Yes, the population of boys and the population girls represented by x and y or b and g is not given explicitly in the stem so statement 1 most certainly is insufficient (or is it?).

First: 90-x = the number of kids who did not make the cut, so x equals the number of kids making it. Multiplying this x, regardless of sex (I will use gender neutrality as the basis of my argument - ok not really lol) by the fractions will give me a number of heads total, which at the end of the day, it's what the question is asking for. Also notice that the two fractions (2/3) and (1/3) add up to 1, maybe it's a coincidence maybe not. Now taking my value of x and plugging it in to test my values on both sides of the equation, which I didn't do at the time would show that it was indeed insufficient. This was kind of hard to wrap my head around after I had written this post and it's even stranger that I calculated the same total, but I believe it has something to do with the fact that both fractions add up to 1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
(1) 2/3 of the boys and 1/3 of the girls who auditioned were accepted.
This statement is insufficient since we do not have information regarding number of boys and girls. Therefore, AD out.

(2) 26 of the boys who auditioned were accepted.
This statement is insufficient since we do not have information regarding number of boys. Therefore option B is out.

Combining statements 1 and 2 together -
From statement 2 we know that 26 boys were accepted , let total number of boys be x.
Therefore , \(\frac{2}{3} x\) = 26 , x = 39
Which gives us , total number of girls = 90-x = 90 -39 =51

Now , \(\frac{1}{3} 51\) = 17

Therefore, number of students accepted = 26 +17 = 43.

Option C.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts