Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619127 [6]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [2]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: If the terms of a sequence with even integers are a1, a2, a3, . . . , [#permalink]
1 gives us nothing about the type of sequence, so insufficient
2 tells us its AM, insufficient
By combining, in order to find sum of AM, we need a1,n,d. By 2 we know d=2 but n and a1 are unknown, hence E

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: If the terms of a sequence with even integers are a1, a2, a3, . . . , [#permalink]
This is a moderately difficult question on sequences. There are, maybe a few traps laid for the student who is not careful, so it’s better to tread a safe path by not making any assumptions.

To start off with, from the question statement, we know that all the numbers of the sequence \(a_1\), \(a_2\), \(a_3\),……, \(a_n\) are even integers. At this stage, for some of you, it might be very easy to fall into the trap of assuming that they are consecutive even integers, but, please resist the temptation; they need not be.
We are supposed to find the value of n i.e. the number of terms in the sequence.

Using statement I alone, we know the sum of the terms in the sequence is 2178. But, we cannot say anything about the number of terms in the sequence. For example, there can be 3 terms in the sequence i.e. 724, 726 and 728. Observe that 2178 is a multiple of 3, so I tried to divide it into 3 equal parts and then manipulate the numbers on the extremeties.
The sequence can also have 2 terms – 2 and 2176.
Since we do not have any other information about the terms, statement I alone is insufficient. Options A and D can be ruled out. Possible answers at this stage are B, C and E.

Using statement II alone, we know that the terms in the sequence are consecutive integers. However, we do not know their sum. We already saw that, when the sum is given, it’s hard to calculate the number of terms. With the sum not being given, it’s impossible to find out a unique value for the number of terms. So, statement II alone is insufficient. Option B can be eliminated.

Combining statements I and II, we know that the sum of consecutive even integers is 2178. But, this can be obtained in many ways. For example, there can be 3 terms – 724, 726 and 728. Or, they can be 9 terms – 234, 236, 238,240, 242, 244, 246, 248, 250.

Both statements are insufficient when taken together. Option C can be eliminated. So, the correct answer option is E.

Hope this helps!
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 516 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
If the terms of a sequence with even integers are a1, a2, a3, . . . , an, what is the value of n ?

(1) The sum of the n terms is 2,178.
(2) The terms in the sequence are consecutive even integers

1. 2178 = (n/2) {2a + (n-1)d}; we don't know a and d. Insufficient.

2. d=2, Insufficient.

1+2 will give:

2178 = (n/2) {2a + (n-1)2}; still a is missing. E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92929 posts