Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Imediate Advice Needed Regarding Letter of Recommendation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Imediate Advice Needed Regarding Letter of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 07:58
I'm in a emergency situation and would your guys feedback. Despite talking to my director several times about the importance of my recs, the need the answers the specific per school questions and sending him a detailed list of my accomplishments, he submitted a general recommendation letter to every school, that not only didn't address school specific questions but didn't provide specific examples of my work. There is cultural barrier (I'm working in development abroad) and he just didn't understand the importance of the letters. I was planning on applying to Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg and Duke R2 but now I'm very concerned about my application. I was thinking of talking to him about it and trying to get on board to update the letters in the more specific format requested by the school or at the very least a personalized version of the letter. Am I too late? Is it possible to contact the schools and have the first letter removed and say that my manager submitted the wrong draft? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

Re: Imediate Advice Needed Regarding Letter of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 08:23
ke18sb wrote:
I'm in a emergency situation and would your guys feedback. Despite talking to my director several times about the importance of my recs, the need the answers the specific per school questions and sending him a detailed list of my accomplishments, he submitted a general recommendation letter to every school, that not only didn't address school specific questions but didn't provide specific examples of my work. There is cultural barrier (I'm working in development abroad) and he just didn't understand the importance of the letters. I was planning on applying to Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg and Duke R2 but now I'm very concerned about my application. I was thinking of talking to him about it and trying to get on board to update the letters in the more specific format requested by the school or at the very least a personalized version of the letter. Am I too late? Is it possible to contact the schools and have the first letter removed and say that my manager submitted the wrong draft? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I would definitely try to contact the schools and see if you can have the recommendation removed. I don't know if they will do that for you but it's worth asking at least. Keep in mind that you're not going to be able to get in touch with most schools until Jan 3rd.

I would also have your director write your updated recommendations by then. If your director is unwilling to answer the specific questions the school is asking, I would find someone else right away. Hopefully you have someone you can count on that can write recommendations on short notice for you.
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: Imediate Advice Needed Regarding Letter of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 08:27
It's more likely that your recommender could call the schools and have the recommendations removed. I'd try that first if he's willing.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Imediate Advice Needed Regarding Letter of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 08:42
Thanks for the replies guys, Stacy Blackman that admissions consultant, recommended I leave it as is and try to get an additional letter of recommendation submitted from a third person. Does anyone know if this is possible and how to go about doing it, specifically for Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia and Duke?
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 37

Re: Imediate Advice Needed Regarding Letter of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 09:12
ke18sb wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, Stacy Blackman that admissions consultant, recommended I leave it as is and try to get an additional letter of recommendation submitted from a third person. Does anyone know if this is possible and how to go about doing it, specifically for Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia and Duke?

Most b-schools, if they allow a third letter, give you the option of sending the third letter (from the recommender) directly to their admissions office and they'll attach it to your file. This policy differs from school to school and you'll probably have to dig up the sources individually. Best of luck!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Imediate Advice Needed Regarding Letter of Recommendation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 11:54
ke18sb wrote:

I think this is good advice. All the schools I know of expect that the recommendation will be independent of your influence (other than general guidance about the process and your MBA goals) and you won't see the recommendation itself. Asking the school to retract the recommendation would raise a red flag, IMO. (Even if we all know that many applicants strongly influence or actually write their recommendations.)

The applyyourself.com applications I've done allow you to add more than 2 recommenders, and if you can't do that then you can just ask your 3rd recommender to send the recommendation letter directly to the adcom by email.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Re: Imediate Advice Needed Regarding Letter of Recommendation   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2010, 11:54