Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Impressive Bunch... sure makes me nervous! [#permalink]
I think one of the keys for everyone is to find the schools where they fit the best. Not only the school that fits your needs but the school that desires people like you. Yes every school wants the kid that started facebook or whatever but the applicant with a business that is successful on a smaller scale needs to figure out where they compete the best. Yes places like Stanford are known for loving entrepreneurs but they also attract them in droves. Much like Chicago gets more banker applicants than Kellogg, while many more marketing folks choose Kellogg over Columbia. Its the nature of the applicant pool. So you will competing against a lot of other folks who started companies and some may have been companies with 10-20times the size of yours, which is tough competition but not anything to discourage you since yours may have much great growth potential and the adcoms may realize that.

Also, some schools are much more likely to admit the odd ball applicant. While all schools like diversity, some schools make a point of trying to find that. Kellogg has a question specific to what makes you unique...basically what are you going to bring to that school that is something few if any other applicants will bring. If you bring something no one else has in terms of background/experience its going to be a huge selling point over that kid who is just like 100 other applicants.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Thanks for the input guys, it is definately encouraging. I have really enjoyed this forum, and have mostly lurked for the last 3-4 months, but the discussions going on as of late have really interested me.

I am going to be working with an admission consultant on my applications for Fall '09. Does anyone around here have much experience with this? I would like to have some first hand accounts and maybe some general do's and don'ts when it comes to these...

Thanks! BTW, I am going to be using MBA Exchange.

Thanks again!

~Sam
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Personally I think consultants are a complete ripoff for what they charge. I could not justify spending 1500 per application when I could just as easily figure out an approach. That said if they were reasonably priced I may have considered it but come on 1500 is insane. I gave very detailed reviews to a bunch of people on here (they can vouch for how detailed most of them were), and in reality it did not take more than several hours. The more essays you read and see how people have success the quicker you should do it. I figure that as long as you only care about content paying 300 would be reasonable since that probably would work out to $75 an hour for a couple reviews...obviously if they are reading for grammar thats going to take a lot longer but schools care more about content than perfect punctuation anyways since you arent applying for a Phd in English Comp.

You wanna pay 1500 bucks to someone I will review every set of essays you write next year, not just for a single school. Thats a good offer haha.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Personally I think consultants are a complete ripoff for what they charge. I could not justify spending 1500 per application when I could just as easily figure out an approach. That said if they were reasonably priced I may have considered it but come on 1500 is insane. I gave very detailed reviews to a bunch of people on here (they can vouch for how detailed most of them were), and in reality it did not take more than several hours. The more essays you read and see how people have success the quicker you should do it. I figure that as long as you only care about content paying 300 would be reasonable since that probably would work out to $75 an hour for a couple reviews...obviously if they are reading for grammar thats going to take a lot longer but schools care more about content than perfect punctuation anyways since you arent applying for a Phd in English Comp.

You wanna pay 1500 bucks to someone I will review every set of essays you write next year, not just for a single school. Thats a good offer haha.

Believe me you have here a good deal! :)

If I had known before I'd have paid River to review my essays....
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hahaha.. River, I really appreciate the offer! However, I would like help beyond just the essays. I only applied to one college, and one job after selling my business, so I am not drastically familiar with the interview/selection/etc process.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the input. So does this forum slow down a lot during the Spring?

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Also, don`t worry about the people here. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and you sure won`t need a consultant because the people here can give you multi-dimensional perspectives.

As for people being impressive here. Look at my profile. I probably have the worst stats and preparation :-D probably lowest GMAT and highest age, and only had 2 months to research, study for GMAT and apply.... so not everyone here is impressive. Oh, and my poor stats didn`t stop me applying to some of the elite schools. Afterall, if i`m gong to b-school next year, i may as well go for it.

If you are still young, i highly recommend you take your time over the app. I didn`t have that choice because of my age.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kwam wrote:
Believe me you have here a good deal! :)

If I had known before I'd have paid River to review my essays....

You can still pay me :lol: ...then again if you get in to Stanford you are gonna be hiring me some day, so it will work out in the end. I thank you for your kind words though Kwam and if I ever need money reviewing essays I am gonna use you as a reference.

Seriously I only applied to a single college too...I was so far above their averages I wasnt worried at all about getting in. B-school is a different beast than undergrad anyways so just because someone managed to get into Princeton doesnt mean they are going to get into a top B-school. Honestly you have so long before you apply if you start thinking about it now that you really can figure out this process very well on your own with just a little effort. This board contains pretty much everything you need to know. Spend enough time here and you will learn more than you imagine about the whole thing.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
then again if you get in to Stanford you are gonna be hiring me some day,

Seriously though, the key is networking. The advantages of a UE, imo, is the opportunity more than anything else, however if your networking skills are poor, then being at an UE or E won't make much difference to the individual. It's the same principle in the corporate world, if you have the network, you can get positions that other people can't. Therefore, this messageboard in itself, is a potential network source. Things like facebook and linkedin etc. are excellent tools for building networks and if you utilise them well, it can open many more doors.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Things like facebook and linkedin etc. are excellent tools for building networks and if you utilise them well, it can open many more doors.

I started the Kellogg class of 2010 facebook group...go me haha
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
togafoot wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Things like facebook and linkedin etc. are excellent tools for building networks and if you utilise them well, it can open many more doors.

I started the Kellogg class of 2010 facebook group...go me haha

Well, I think you started the Kellogg class of 2010, hehehehehehe

True about networking toga
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Someone on here needs to start the GSB, Wharton, HBS, and Ross. We have folks heading all of them I bet. Gmatclub can rule the world haha.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Someone on here needs to start the GSB, Wharton, HBS, and Ross. We have folks heading all of them I bet. Gmatclub can rule the world haha.

That's the thing i think about.. The schools bang on about how strong their alumni are, how much helps it bring. However if you have a person who is alumni of school X, but also has strong links to alumni of other schools, it's a doorway into another network and a host of opportunities. That's way a forum like this and the GMAT club facebook group are potentially, highly useful.

The Corporate world are in the process of adopting web 2.0 as a business tool. It's not just a revenue earner, but a potential method for increasing efficient business processes.
Likewise, the type of tools and the systems that the current generation of workers are using needs to be improved to systems which can be easily associated with.

For Example :- https://www.seriosity.com/ is a start up which is applying Massive Multiplayer Online Gaming methodologies to corporate e-mail systems. There is seriously a lot of scope in this field. (If i ever went into entrepreneurship, i have some serious ideas about MMO, corporate tools, Wireless and web 2.0 integration)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
riverripper wrote:

LOL, for once I thought you are talking about someone from here starting a B-School like GSB, Wharton, HBS and Ross.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
I'm late to the discussion, but one thing I would like to add is as an entrepreneur, you NEED to have a very coherent and believable story on why you would want to apply to b-school, spend 2 years of your life not earning money (spending $100+K) when you already have 2-3 successful startup stories? You have to CONVINCE the admissions committee that you have a real need for the MBA, whether it's because you want to do something else, you felt that you need to learn how not to make mistakes, or something. Spend the time to think that over. You got a LOT of time (compared to some of us who only started in July of 07) and a LOT of resources here at GMATClub. So get on it! :)

Speaking of resources, river, kwam, toga, and others are right, you can probably get ALL the support you need from the folks on here. Just look around! Your profile (on paper) is probably better than most of ours, yet many of us already got into the GSBs, the Whartons, the Columbias, the Kelloggs, etc... If we can do it WITHOUT a consultant (especially if it costs $1500!!! :shock: ), you can definitely do it. It might take some time to read through some posts, ask some detailed questions, and get some help from us, but in the end, YOU CAN DO IT! (just ask helg :P)

Anyway, River and I and other mods are going to start populating a new forum (to be revealed by Praetorian soon) where we will comb the forums and put all the links that are useful and relate to the application process (Interviews, Essays, Financial Aid, etc...). That will tie us over until we get stuff into the wikis. For someone like you applying in '09, you'll have ALL the resources you need to be successful without a consultant. Heck, you'll even have some "Admitted Student Essays" and tons of MBA profiles to compare and learn from. It's something that us '08 folks could only dream about, and the '07 folks didn't even have.

Therefore, hold off on the consultant for now. Do some searches here (or wait for river and I to do the work) and read over the threads. I learned so much from digging through all the 2006-7 posts and getting help from rhyme and folks. As for essay reviews, like river, I definitely did a few (hopefully I can get some good references :P) and will probably do some once all the admit decisions are done and I quit my job. Ya know, like rhyme, us poor prospective students may need some beer $$ sometime down the road :P

Alright, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Sorry about the long winded response (can you sense my "passion" for this form? :P)

EDIT: BTW, don't forget Haas and Anderson (I'll leave Stanford to grad_mba, terry12, or kwam :wink:)
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kryzak,

Thanks for the advice! I do really enjoy this forum, and it has already served the duel purpose of both educating me, and motivating me to get my MBA!

Looking forward to seeing how the new forum looks!

Thanks!

~Sam
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
you're very welcome sam. It's good to have people like you join us and learn from the forum!
GMAT Club Bot