Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [33]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [6]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
In a certain game, you pick a card from a standard deck of [#permalink]
Kudos
Here is another method of solving the same:

P(hearts)=13/52

p(atleast three draws involved in win)= 1-(atmost two draws involved in win)

=1-((win in first draw)+((lose in first draw)*(win in second draw))

=1-((13/52)+((39/52)*(13/52 )))=9/16
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: In a certain game, you pick a card from a standard deck of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bones2020 wrote:
If the question were to ask what is the probability that one would win on the third draw, would the correct answer be 7/16?
1-(3/4)^2=7/16

However, since the question is asking what are the odds of having a minimum of 3 draws to gain a victory (we don't care about the the third draw), we just use (3/4)^2=9/16, correct?

In order to win on precisely the third draw, three things need to happen: you must lose on the first draw AND lose on the second draw AND win on the third draw. So we need to multiply the probability of those three events together: (3/4)(3/4)(1/4) = 9/64

If we want to know the probability the game lasts at least three draws, then we just need to lose on the first two draws, so the probability of that is (3/4)(3/4) = 9/16.

If we subtract that probability from 1, to get 7/16, we're finding the probability the game does NOT last at least three draws, so 7/16 is the probability the player wins on either the first or second draw. If that were the question, you could also solve in another way, by dividing the problem into two cases: the player wins 1/4 of the time on the first draw. 3/4 of the time the player loses on the first draw, but then wins on the second draw with a probability of 1/4, so the probability of winning precisely on the second draw is (3/4)(1/4) = 3/16. Adding the probabilities of winning on the first and second draws, we get 1/4 + 3/16 = 7/16

I'd add that the question in this thread is not a realistic GMAT problem (the math involved is realistic, but the setup is not). You don't need to know anything at all about decks of cards for the test. The wording is also a lot more complicated than what you'd see on the real test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
In a certain game, you pick a card from a standard deck of 52 cards. If the card is a heart, you win. If the card is not a heart, the person replaces the card to the deck, reshuffles, and draws again. The person keeps repeating that process until he picks a heart, and the point is to measure how many draws did it take before the person picked a heart and won. What is the probability that there will be at least three draws involved in a win, i.e. someone picking her first heart on the third draw or later?

(A) 1/2
(B) 9/16
(C) 11/16
(D) 13/16
(E) 15/16

For a full discussion of this question and of "at least" probability question in general, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-math- ... -question/

Hi Mike,

Could you please help where I am going wrong. Why haven't we multiplied by 1/4?

I did this question in the mentioned way:

The probability of not drawing a heart in the first draw : 3/4
The probability of not drawing a heart in the second draw : 3/4
The probability of drawing a heart in the third draw : 3/4

So probability of not drawing a heart in first and second draw but drawing a heart in the third draw is 3/4*3/4*1/4=9/64.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
aks456 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Could you please help where I am going wrong. Why haven't we multiplied by 1/4?

I did this question in the mentioned way:

The probability of not drawing a heart in the first draw : 3/4
The probability of not drawing a heart in the second draw : 3/4
The probability of drawing a heart in the third draw : 3/4

So probability of not drawing a heart in first and second draw but drawing a heart in the third draw is 3/4*3/4*1/4=9/64.

Thanks

Dear aks456,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Think about the scenario about which the question asks. The question is asking about the scenario of winning the game on the third draw or later. In other words, we know there is no Heart on the first & second draws, then anything can happen after that. That's why it's (3/4)(3/4) = 9/16.

What you did was to assume a positive result, the drawing of Heart, on exactly the third draw. The number you calculated, 9/64, is probability that the first draw of a heart occurs on exactly the third throw. This the correct calculation for another question, but not the number for which this question is asking. It's always a tricky think about probability: you have to be sure that the calculation you are doing is answering exactly the question asked, and not another question.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Got it. Thanks Mike :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Here, we need to find the probability of not drawing a heart in 1st and 2nd attempt.
We won’t consider the probability of drawing a heart in 3rd attempt because we are supposed to calculate the probability of drawing atleast in the 3rd draw and not surely in 3rd draw.
So, probability of not drawing in 1st attempt = 3/4
Probability of not drawing in 2nd attempt = 3/4
Probability of not drawing in 1st and 2nd draw = 9/16.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
If the question were to ask what is the probability that one would win on the third draw, would the correct answer be 7/16?
1-(3/4)^2=7/16

However, since the question is asking what are the odds of having a minimum of 3 draws to gain a victory (we don't care about the the third draw), we just use (3/4)^2=9/16, correct?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts