Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [26]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619200 [5]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
the answer is D actually...anyone have any ideas on why D?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Rakesh explains why 1 is sufficient. Here's why 2 is sufficient:

The length of QS is 6.

Hence, QR and RS are each 3.

Call OR and PR BOTH "x".

(Since OR and PR combine to form a radius, just like OS)

Call OS "2x."

Since we have a right triangle, we can establish that X^2 +3^2=(2x)^2.

Solve this and you see that x= sqrt 3, and 2x (in this case line OS) is 2*sqrt3.

I think
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Stoolfi ur explanation for statement (2) is good. I dont know why I miss out those things. Probably due to time constrains. Anyways from (1) we are given that PR= sqrt 3, we know that PR=OR (Bisects), so OP will be 2sqrt3 and as both OP and OS are radius, OP=OS. So OS= 2sqrt3
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
In the figure above, O is the center of the circle. If OP an [#permalink]
In the figure above, O is the center of the circle. If OP and QS are perpendicular and bisect each other. What is the length of OS?

1) The length of PR is \(\sqrt{3}\)
2) The length of QS is 6

Please provide detailed explanations!
Attachments

circle.jpg
circle.jpg [ 10.67 KiB | Viewed 10424 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-31-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, O is the center of the circle. If OP an [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
fozzzy wrote:
In the figure above, O is the center of the circle. If OP and QS are perpendicular and bisect each other. What is the length of OS?

2) The length of QS is 6

In the given figure,OS=OP=radius "r"
and PR=RO=r/2
QR=RS,angleORS=90 degrees
We need find length of OS, which is radius of the circle

From stmt 1)PR= [square_root]3 and PR=r/2 hence radius=2*[square_root]3, hence 1 alone is sufficient
From stmt 2)QS=6 => RS=3 (OP is bisector of QS,R is the midpoint of QS)
OS=radius=r
and OR=r/2 (R is the midpoint of OP, OP being the radius of the circle)
r^2=(r/2)^2+3^2
r=2*[square_root]3
Hence stmt 2 alone is sufficient

Ans is D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619200 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, O is the center of the circle. If OP an [#permalink]
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:

2) The length of QS is 6

Merging similar topics.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [0]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, O is the center of the circle. If OP [#permalink]
rc197906 wrote:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
In the figure above, O is the center of the circle. If OP and QS are perpendicular and bisect each other, what is the length of OS?

(1) The length of PR is \(\sqrt{3}\)
(2) The length of QS is 6

Hi,

St 1 is obvious so lets not dwell on that.

From St 2 we get QS =6 -----> QR=RS=3

Let OR=x since it is being bisected by QS then PR is also x
Also OQ= 2x since OP=OS as radius of circle
Now in triangle OQR we have 3^2+x^2= 4X^2

9=3 x^2
x=\sqrt{3}

Hence OQ= 2\sqrt{3}

Ans is D
Director
Director
Send PM
Is there any property tested here? I'm really clueless when it comes to geometry...
Director
Director
Send PM
So for such questions never rely on the figure. In this particular question, the figure is misleading.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619200 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
So for such questions never rely on the figure. In this particular question, the figure is misleading.

Why it's misleading?

OG13, page 150:
Figures: A figure accompanying a problem solving question is intended to provide information useful in solving the problem. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

OG13, page 272:
A figure accompanying a data sufficiency problem will conform to the information given in the question but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
Lines shown as straight can be assumed to be straight and lines that appear jagged can also be assumed to be straight.
You may assume that the positions of points, angles, regions, and so forth exist in the order shown and that angle measures are greater than zero degrees.
All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Why it's misleading?

OG13, page 150:
Figures: A figure accompanying a problem solving question is intended to provide information useful in solving the problem. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

OG13, page 272:
A figure accompanying a data sufficiency problem will conform to the information given in the question but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
Lines shown as straight can be assumed to be straight and lines that appear jagged can also be assumed to be straight.
You may assume that the positions of points, angles, regions, and so forth exist in the order shown and that angle measures are greater than zero degrees.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel, question for you
How do we know that PR = OR from the fact that the chord is perpendicular to the radius? I mean what's the property here if you will
Thanks
Cheers
J :)
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Why it's misleading?

OG13, page 150:

OG13, page 272:

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel, question for you
How do we know that PR = OR from the fact that the chord is perpendicular to the radius? I mean what's the property here if you will
Thanks
Cheers
J :)

We are told that OP and QS are perpendicular and bisect each other, which means that PR = OR and QR = RS.

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
From statement 2.) it seems like we know that triangle ORS is a 30:60:90. How do we know this?

I think I got it but I want to be sure:

We know OP = OS because they are both radiuses. QS bisects OP so OR (where R is the midpoint of OP) is equal to 1/2 OS. We can say that OS = 2x and OR = x. From statement 2 we know that QS = 6 and RS therefore must = 3 because it is bisected by OP. We can now set up Pythagorean equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2 --> x^2 + 3^2 = 2x^2 --> x^2 + 9 = 2x^2 --> Subtract x^2 from both sides --> x^2 = 9 --> x = 3. If x = 3, then 2x (i.e. line OS) = 6.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Is there any property tested here? I'm really clueless when it comes to geometry...

Notice that OS is the radius of the circle.

(1) The length of PR is \(\sqrt{3}\). PR is half of the radius, so the radius is twice of that. Sufficient.

(2) The length of QS is 6. This one tests pythagorean theorem. Triangle ORS is a right triangle. We know that RS=QS/2=3 and we know that the other two sides are r (OS) and r/2 (OR) --> r^2=(r/2)^2+3^2 --> \(r=2\sqrt{3}\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope this helps.

Totally makes sense. The only issue is that I have taught myself to never assume certain things on DS. How can we be sure that PR is half the radius? What if OS bisects PO at some point other than half? Similarly, how can we be sure that PO bisects OS at exactly the half way point?

I am struggling here with understanding when we should and should not assume something.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
CEdward wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Notice that OS is the radius of the circle.

(1) The length of PR is \(\sqrt{3}\). PR is half of the radius, so the radius is twice of that. Sufficient.

(2) The length of QS is 6. This one tests pythagorean theorem. Triangle ORS is a right triangle. We know that RS=QS/2=3 and we know that the other two sides are r (OS) and r/2 (OR) --> r^2=(r/2)^2+3^2 --> \(r=2\sqrt{3}\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope this helps.

Totally makes sense. The only issue is that I have taught myself to never assume certain things on DS. How can we be sure that PR is half the radius? What if OS bisects PO at some point other than half? Similarly, how can we be sure that PO bisects OS at exactly the half way point?

I am struggling here with understanding when we should and should not assume something.

We are told that OP and QS are perpendicular and bisect each other. In geometry bisect means divide into two exactly equal parts.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
CEdward wrote:

We are told that OP and QS are perpendicular and bisect each other. In geometry bisect means divide into two exactly equal parts.

Bunuel, this is beyond helpful. Thank you. As a follow-up question, suppose a line seemingly 'bissects' one angle of a triangle in half. Can I assume that the two resulting angles are equal (particularly if there is no mention of 'bisect') or would that be a mistake?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
CEdward wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
CEdward wrote:

Bunuel, this is beyond helpful. Thank you. As a follow-up question, suppose a line seemingly 'bissects' one angle of a triangle in half. Can I assume that the two resulting angles are equal (particularly if there is no mention of 'bisect') or would that be a mistake?

No, you cannot assume that a line is the bisector if you are not told that.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92945 posts