Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Where are we heading?

Issue is about INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS not getting enough recruiting options at certain schools

Quote:
At [UNC] Kenan-Flagler, for instance, only about 40% of the recruiters will meet with foreign nationals.

I hoped current students(International) would post their experience about the recruiting options available to them...

I have been in U.S. for 5 years and tried changing jobs couple of times. Though not MBA, stiil i have got clear mails from HR like following (real mail excerpt - copy paste):

"Thanks for applying and for the quick reply. Your skill set and experienced matched what we are looking for, and you passed the prescreening with perfect scores, except we can not hire anybody that requires sponsorship at this time."

?$#>%^?&>?????????

It has happened to me more than 5 times. Go figure.

BTW, this is from a company that is in top 25 of Fortune 500.

Originally posted by hbs.aspirant on 21 Nov 2007, 09:46.
Last edited by hbs.aspirant on 21 Nov 2007, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good that they're honest.

Usually, they don't bother responding... or say that they are going in another direction.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm hearing that due to the visa issues, fewer companies are interested in takling to int'l students. While we have the same number of companies on campus (if not more), fewer of them are willing to sponsor. This came from career services.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just talked to a fellow international first year... she's saying she's concerned that her backup plan of corporate strategy may not be a good backup -- everywhere she goes, they wont hire internationals. She says its not a problem at all with consulting, but with industry positions, it seems to be. Not sure how prevalent it is, but she indicated the last two firms she spoke to wouldn't hire her. Supposedly someone in career svcs told her to just apply anyway. I guess the theory is that if they want you badly enough, they'll figure it out... Though I must admit I'm somewhat baffled by their suggestion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
She says its not a problem at all with consulting

Phew! Thank God for at least that.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Around here, about 85% of jobs are open to internationals (at least for the summer).

L.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
KingKREEP wrote:
rhyme wrote:
She says its not a problem at all with consulting

Phew! Thank God for at least that.

I hear it's also fine with i-banking.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I was hoping that current students(International) would post their experience about the recruiting options available to them...

My thoughts as an international:

(1) Be willing to take the 1-year OPT first, and worry about the H1 later. Many of my friends spent their entire OPT trying to secure a H1 and ended up with no work experience and many rejection letters. The government gives you one year without restriction to work, take full advantage of it.

(2) I would not rely on Career Services, no matter what their placement record is. They are not a crutch. There is no substitute for hustling on your own.

(3) Have a very clear career goal. Not just marketing -- what industry? what function? Not just finance -- banking? corp fin? Start networking early, meet as many alumni as you can, build relationships in the business community, join associations and clubs. Helps if you to go to a school in a metropolitan area (Boston, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Chicago) so you can knock on doors if you have to. For the socially inept (such as myself), I recommend the Vault Guide to Schmoozing.

(4) Use headhunters & recruiting agencies. The more people you have looking for a job for you, the better. At least they give you interviews and keep your record on file -- how many American firms would do that? ;-)

(5) In my experience the size of the firm does not matter, Fortune 500 or local small business. What matters is the willingness of key decision makers (be it HR or Senior Management) to champion your cause and take your case to an immigration attorney. This is where I feel the internship is CRUCIAL, it gives you the opportunity to prove you're worth the $5k or so to sponsor your visa.

(6) Do whatever it takes to improve your communication skills. Relying on being an "international" is probably more hype than substance. Employers think: "If I can hire an American as competent as you in this job -- AND in addition have no problems with culture or language, then why should I hire you?" If you're not a native speaker, you really need to go above and beyond to demonstrate a mastery of the language -- otherwise you're just giving an excuse for employers to pass over you. Whether its business writing, watching movies, or taking accent reduction classes, stop rationalizing and just do it!

(7) Finally, leave about 20% space in your mind to consider International options. Many American companies are looking to establish outposts in your country -- don't rule out the possibility of helping them spearhead their expansion efforts. You might even get a better salary for relocating.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
loom wrote:
(5) In my experience the size of the firm does not matter, Fortune 500 or local small business. What matters is the willingness of key decision makers (be it HR or Senior Management) to champion your cause and take your case to an immigration attorney.

This point I disagree with. Now I am not an international applicant, but my family does own a small business. I guess it depends how small you mean. If you mean small like 1000 employees, perhaps. True small businesses, however, are going to shy away from hiring international employees because they don't have any experience with the visa process. The process will be intimidating to them, and they won't want to go through the hassle. Of course there are always exceptions, probably especially in the high tech arena, but in general I feel that bigger businesses will be more willing to hire international applicants.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Loom

About point 1

Quote:
(1) Be willing to take the 1-year OPT first, and worry about the H1 later. Many of my friends spent their entire OPT trying to secure a H1 and ended up with no work experience and many rejection letters. The government gives you one year without restriction to work, take full advantage of it.

This may still be an issue because many companies are unwilling to hire someone they know can only stay in the US for a year.

I agree about small companies though. I work in IT and I was the 7th person to join my company. They still agreed to invest in the immigration process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
bherronp:
This point I disagree with. Now I am not an international applicant, but my family does own a small business. I guess it depends how small you mean. If you mean small like 1000 employees, perhaps. True small businesses, however, are going to shy away from hiring international employees because they don't have any experience with the visa process. The process will be intimidating to them, and they won't want to go through the hassle. Of course there are always exceptions, probably especially in the high tech arena, but in general I feel that bigger businesses will be more willing to hire international applicants.

In my experience that hasn't been the case: On one hand, the sponsorship process may be intimidating to a small firm with limited financial resources, but on the other, the bureaucracy, red-tape, and mulitple layers of decision making in a big company present an equally formidable challenge. Consider the following examples:

1. I have a Japanese friend who was sponsored this past April by an import-export marketing company in Los Angeles of 10 employees. (btw she has no MBA, and speaks terrible English).

2. Last year, I interned at a local company of 25 employees and the CEO offered to sponsor my visa (I declined the offer eventually). They were in the fitness business.

3. Now, I work for a finance company of 2,000 employees with $1 billion of assets under management, and HR has told me to my face that hiring me, a foreigner, would present a "liability" to them. I actually find it kinda ironic. lol

-----------------

To make things even more complex:

** Of the 65,000 H1 Visas provided by the US govt for 2007, there were 120,000 applications.

** Due to the sheer volume of applications (many from overseas tech firms), the govt decided to feed all applications into a computer to be randomly selected. This is in contrast to previous years, where immigration officers actually read and evaluated each application on a case-by-case basis.

** What does this mean? In essence, it doesn't matter if you have a Berkeley or Ball State MBA, it doesn't matter if its United Technologies or Uncle Bob's Consulting Shop (ok I'm generalizing a little). The main objective was to find SOMEONE willing to pay 5 grand to undertake the legal process. Even then, your chances for 2007 were essentially determined by a computer, giving you a 65,000/120,000 = ~50% chance of success.

---------------
Quote:
hsampath: This may still be an issue because many companies are unwilling to hire someone they know can only stay in the US for a year.

hsampath: True. I found my current position through my staffing agency. They handle the administration on my paperwork, which helps significantly. They act as an intermediary between myself and HR. Essentially, I am on a one-year assignment, in other words, a full-time temp. I consider myself very fortunate because 90% of the int'ls in my graduating class went back to their home countries with nothing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Instead of saying "The firm's strategies positively impacted consumer demand", classic Brazilian guy's attempt would read something like: "The firm that had the strategies that change the market would have to have a strategy that made the demand to go up by a little if the strategy was OK but a lot if the strategy was good, so and we saw that the strategy is maybe a bit better than GOOD so then people need more things more."

(If I sound irritated... its cause I am ... I was up until 2am cleaning up Brazilian guy's work)

And here is the fundamental question. How the hell he got into GSB at the fist place? Diversity, dirversity, diversity!!

Sitting in Kellogg’s main lobby while waiting for one of its admissions associates, my mind was desperately busy in devising strategies that could potentially convince her to take me off the 3rd round waitlist! In comes a new Asian student. He walks to the Kellogg’s lobby attendant and asks her about the office of the financial aid. He has to repeat his question three times before the attendant could understand him. She replies back but now the student is having hard time in understanding her. Finally she has to speak really slowly so that he can understand it. I am not making it up this story. This is exactly what happened. The student looked very polished (the way he was dressed up) but his verbal skills were almost non-existent. And I just kept on thinking that how did he write all those essays and how did he convey his message to the interviewer during Kellogg’s interview? But then I thought that he might be one of the brightest upcoming professionals in Japan and one should not deny him an admission to Kellogg because of his poor English skills? But such is you mind, it keeps throwing stupid questions at you! What about GMAT verbal? How did he comprehend those dreaded paragraphs? And what about AWA score? But at that point I said to myself “you are nothing but a jealous guy who got WLed at Kellogg whereas he is already IN contributing to Kellogg's diversity”….
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
haddy74 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Instead of saying "The firm's strategies positively impacted consumer demand", classic Brazilian guy's attempt would read something like: "The firm that had the strategies that change the market would have to have a strategy that made the demand to go up by a little if the strategy was OK but a lot if the strategy was good, so and we saw that the strategy is maybe a bit better than GOOD so then people need more things more."

(If I sound irritated... its cause I am ... I was up until 2am cleaning up Brazilian guy's work)

And here is the fundamental question. How the hell he got into GSB at the fist place? Diversity, dirversity, diversity!!

Sitting in Kellogg’s main lobby while waiting for one of its admissions associates, my mind was desperately busy in devising strategies that could potentially convince her to take me off the 3rd round waitlist! In comes a new Asian student. He walks to the Kellogg’s lobby attendant and asks her about the office of the financial aid. He has to repeat his question three times before the attendant could understand him. She replies back but now the student is having hard time in understanding her. Finally she has to speak really slowly so that he can understand it. I am not making it up this story. This is exactly what happened. The student looked very polished (the way he was dressed up) but his verbal skills were almost non-existent. And I just kept on thinking that how did he write all those essays and how did he convey his message to the interviewer during Kellogg’s interview? But then I thought that he might be one of the brightest upcoming professionals in Japan and one should not deny him an admission to Kellogg because of his poor English skills? But such is you mind, it keeps throwing stupid questions at you! What about GMAT verbal? How did he comprehend those dreaded paragraphs? And what about AWA score? But at that point I said to myself “you are nothing but a jealous guy who got WLed at Kellogg whereas he is already IN contributing to Kellogg's diversity”….

Haven't you heard the stories of people hiring stand-ins for interviews and having "consultants" write their essays. My interviewers didnt ask to see ID or anything, so I could easily have sent someone in my place.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
haddy74 wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Haven't you heard the stories of people hiring stand-ins for interviews and having "consultants" write their essays. My interviewers didnt ask to see ID or anything, so I could easily have sent someone in my place.

I'm also surprised by this.... Eventually, they'll probably ask for ID. With all the checks, I'm surprised they don't do this.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
I'm also surprised by this.... Eventually, they'll probably ask for ID. With all the checks, I'm surprised they don't do this.

I think some schools do just that. Its a lot easier for this during an on campus or hub interview since they can just make it part of the sign in process.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Alumni interviews are often conducted in the best joint language of the interviewer and applicant, limiting the interview's effectiveness as a linguistic test.

I asked two students I know about their interviews - one in Turkish, one in Korean.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
Alumni interviews are often conducted in the best joint language of the interviewer and applicant, limiting the interview's effectiveness as a linguistic test.

I asked two students I know about their interviews - one in Turkish, one in Korean.

The opposite was true during my interview: the alumn-interviewer clarified that interviews should be held in English, and so it was, even when both of us spoke the same foreign language.

L.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4