Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [1]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Re: Role of GMAT in getting Interview Invite [#permalink]
I wonder how importnat GPA is in the 'evaluation formula'. On one hand, I have heard people saying that for candidates with work experience GPA is least important of all the factors, and on the other, I have heard adcom talk about Academic Abilities in terms of GPA (as several folks are not standardized test savvy)!

Any thoughts?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
I believe that generally speaking, the discussions here seem to undervalue name-brand work experience, extracurricular activities and education. My sense is that while say that they value diverse work experience and activities, these are really things that must be overcome.

There's a reason why some companies and professions are known as "feeders". It also seems that schools prefer certain name-brand extracurricular activities. If I knew two years ago that I would be applying to business school, I would definitely get involved in habitat for humanity or united way or something like that. Of course, getting involved for these reasons may or may not be total BS. I get the sense that schools place virtually no value on things that might really matter to an individual, such as caring for a family member or something like that. The reality is that they probably just prefer activities that are easy to document and categorize.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Good analysis.
On point number 2:
I know for a fact that Wharton has independent "reads" of the essays. None of the readers knows what the other reader thinks about the applicant. The recommendations then reach a member of the admissions staff who makes the final call if both reviewers disagree.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
I think brand name does matter to the adcom to a large extent since recruiters love it too. If you have an Ivy undergrad or worked for a top-notch firm in your industry, the resume-hungry MC/IB recruiters will find you attractive. I was once surprised that an admissions officer rattled of the name of top universities in Asia without the blink of an eye. She was clearly well-researched and knew what she was looking out for. I am merely stating my observation and in no way suggesting that the people of a particular institute or firm are smarter than the others. In the event that you aren't an outlier (Everest climber, Olympic athlete yada yada), everything else needs to be good or above average. I once mentioned that people need to execute perfectly on all counts to get in to a top 10 program (let alone H/S/W). Not everyone seemed to agree.

pelihu wrote:
I believe that generally speaking, the discussions here seem to undervalue name-brand work experience, extracurricular activities and education. My sense is that while say that they value diverse work experience and activities, these are really things that must be overcome.

There's a reason why some companies and professions are known as "feeders". It also seems that schools prefer certain name-brand extracurricular activities. If I knew two years ago that I would be applying to business school, I would definitely get involved in habitat for humanity or united way or something like that. Of course, getting involved for these reasons may or may not be total BS. I get the sense that schools place virtually no value on things that might really matter to an individual, such as caring for a family member or something like that. The reality is that they probably just prefer activities that are easy to document and categorize.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Pelihu, I wasn't aware that brand name was significant when it comes to community service, that's good to know. (Actually, I guess it would have been good to know two or three years ago like you said!)

Great post Lepium. The variability that you mention is definitely the hardest part of this process to take. I mean we all spend a lot of time trying to quantify everything, trying to make sense of this subjective process because at the end of the day it's difficult to shoot for a goal and feel like your ability to reach that goal is limited by certain elements completely out of your control.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:
I think brand name does matter to the adcom to a large extent since recruiters love it too. If you have an Ivy undergrad or worked for a top-notch firm in your industry, the resume-hungry MC/IB recruiters will find you attractive. I was once surprised that an admissions officer rattled of the name of top universities in Asia without the blink of an eye. She was clearly well-researched and knew what she was looking out for. I am merely stating my observation and in no way suggesting that the people of a particular institute or firm are smarter than the others. In the event that you aren't an outlier (Everest climber, Olympic athlete yada yada), everything else needs to be good or above average. I once mentioned that people need to execute perfectly on all counts to get in to a top 10 program (let alone H/S/W). Not everyone seemed to agree.

I totally agree with you. When I met a Wharton alum in Chicago, her first question was are you from IIT ...... and where do you work ... hummm......
Same question was asked by MIT alum too.... I was totally surprised... :roll:

So to get into top 10 program someone need to change his life history... :lol:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback, guys. On my post, I would not call it "analysis", I'd call it "plausible speculation".

pelihu: good point on brands and feeders. I had the same feeling when initially researching how to put my extracurriculars in apps. Everybody was talking about clubs, joining a club or being a class president or sth. But it just happens that most activities take place outside clubs down here. I also acknowledge that it makes adcom jobs easier if you profile yourself in terms which are easily comparable across the hoards of applicants. It will surely help if you are a clear winner (sponsored by McK is a great achievement's stamp, as they only sponsor top employees). But it may conspire against you if you are just not that great (maybe top 10% instead of top 3%?)

lhotse: that's when your concept kicks in. Anything other than perfect execution within a highly competitive applicant pool and you are out. Your other option is to be somehow different.

sm: dunno about GPA. Some schools seem to be crazy about it and others seem to not care at all. One adcom mentioned in a presentation "if we allowed our faculty to manage the admissions process, they would always choose the applicants with the highest figures (as in highest GPAs and GMATs). Since we don't believe such a class profile would be best for us, we choose applicants based on future success predictions rather than academic performance.". I guess it depends on the applicant's profile. Maybe GMAT can counter GPA, maybe not. Maybe double majoring is a great excuse for a lower GPA, maybe it's not that good. Maybe young applicants get measured much more by GPA than older ones, maybe they are not. I also heard somewhere (and have no proof) that public schools are supposed to keep GPA averages above a certain figure for some funding reasons while private schools can do whatever they want. Maybe at some schools faculty get more access to the admissions process than at other schools. How do they compare GPAs across different schools? Do they look at class ranks?

johnnyx: some adcoms back my case for luck playing part in the process (in this case Mr. Derrick Bolton)

MVP: What is the most impressive thing some candidate has written and that you did not accept?
DB: Everybody tends to write compelling stories(...)
I wish people [not accepted] could understand this process. A lot of times people think that they were not strong candidates and it is not the case at all, but there are stronger candidates in the pool and there is not enough room. This is tough especially for applicants that have been very successful in life by being very aggressive and taking every opportunity and it is hard for them to accept that there are things that are beyond their control. [u]You can not control the applicant pool and there is some element of luck in the process and you have to be frank about that. [/u]

Here goes the link to the full interview in case you'd like to read it:

https://media.www.virtualreporter.org/me ... porter.org

So that's it guys, still waiting for my lucky chance.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot