Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 18:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is 2 years experience in IT industry enough?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is 2 years experience in IT industry enough? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 02:14
Hi All,

I had a doubt in my mind, and found no better place than this for its clarification.
Is 2 years experience in IT industry good enough to be able to apply to top B schools or should i stick to my job for few more years and then think of applying?
Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is 2 years experience in IT industry enough? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 03:44
The average years of work experience at the top b schools is 5, so the other parts of your application need to be superior if you are to stand a chance with only 2 years of work experience.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

Re: Is 2 years experience in IT industry enough? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 05:50
Expert's post
Hi there,

Even if you were in IT Strategy Consulting, 2 years would be on the light side. You're just getting into the groove of things, building responsibility, gaining leadership experiences, etc.

I don't know what you do in the "IT Industry" but if I had to guess, I would assume you aren't in the spot where you can stand out from the thousands of other IT applicants out there.

If you feel like you are - let us know some more info about what you do and we can discuss it.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Is 2 years experience in IT industry enough? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 09:48
Hi Rahul,

If you can present strong story in application essays and exhibit leadership qualities, awards/achievements in or outside work place and other aptitudes during interviews then you can apply in b-school(s).

Hope this helps!!

Regards
Erina

grahul0390 wrote:
Hi All,

I had a doubt in my mind, and found no better place than this for its clarification.
Is 2 years experience in IT industry good enough to be able to apply to top B schools or should i stick to my job for few more years and then think of applying?

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Intern
Intern

Re: Is 2 years experience in IT industry enough? [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 08:59
HI there,
I am having a similar doubt.
Should I have a work experience in some business(finance or marketing) related company or I can join a IT industry and gain experience for 2-3 years and then apply for B-Schools abroad.
Expecting Your reply
Intern
Intern

Re: Is 2 years experience in IT industry enough? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 19:50
Well it depends on your knowledge and skills on that field.
Re: Is 2 years experience in IT industry enough?   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 19:50