Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is it wrong not to apply to the best.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is it wrong not to apply to the best. [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 18:57
Question, I applied to all the local schools in the philadelphia area except wharton due to owning a house. I had a 700 gmat and am a senior quality assurance engineer. I was a business major but have taught myself programming over the last few years after coming from a poor rural family. Is it wrong to just accept going to Temple and not try to apply to better programs. People tell me I could do so much better if I tried but I just feel I don't want to give up the house for a loss.(an ex-gf stuck me with it) Am I being stupid going to a weak program?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it wrong not to apply to the best. [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 15:37
Of course it's not wrong. It's fine as long as you are happy with the school. Just make sure you are realistic about your goals. Not to mention you have a better chance at scholarships.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2241

Kudos [?]: 8460 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is it wrong not to apply to the best. [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 22:38
Expert's post
That's a tough question. Unless you apply to them, you will always think about it and nothing we can tell you will reassure you or give you that feeling. Unless you try, you will never know. Sorry but that's how it works...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: Is it wrong not to apply to the best. [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 01:35
You're probably well on your way, but I wanted to toss in my opinion incase you were asking for next year.

I think going to a better school is financially and socially better in the long-run depending upon your goals. You can always rent out your house or let a relative live there and take care of the place. The extra earning potential and career opportunities outweigh the cost even if the house got some damage from tenants or you felt bad about paying interest on a mortgage.

Becky
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it wrong not to apply to the best. [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 03:22
I think if you had a shot at getting into Wharton, you should apply. The ROI would more than compensate for your house situation.

Posted from my mobile device Image

My Debrief

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it wrong not to apply to the best. [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 09:08
I'd like to echo some other folks' saying (if you haven't made up your mind yet about going to Temple). A lot of it depend on what you want to do post-MBA. If your goal is to work at a smaller, regional position, i think Temple would do the trick for you. But if your goal is work in top consulting or banking firms, Wharton will be the best bet here. Don't think about your house as a liability, think about it as an asset. While there's debt there, there's also equity. In the long-run, the earnings you will get is greatly increased if you were to attend Wharton than Temple. So my suggestion for you is to think broadly. What do you want after MBA? What's your goal? Will Temple be able ot satisfy that goal? Are you content with the type of recruiters that show up at Temple? Are you seeing a lot more opportunity that interests you when you compare Wharton to Temple?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Is it wrong not to apply to the best.   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2011, 09:08