Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 14:13 It is currently 09 May 2024, 14:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Is money negotiable? [#permalink]
almond wrote:
Quick question since I am a bit of an amateur at all of this. I received offers of admission to Kellogg, Wharton, and HBS for Round 2. I got a significant scholarship with Kellogg and a fellowship for Wharton, but I want to go to HBS. HBS does their financial aid a little different it seems, so I do not know at this point what it would cost after grants, etc.

Is there any negotiating power by using the other two offers with HBS? I am thinking like what is typical with job placement - have an offer in one place for better $$ and use it to negotiate with the position you want. If this is at all possible, who would I contact at Harvard? Any ideas are appreciated - getting a little sticker shock at the tuition at all of these schools!!

Harvard does not given merit based aid so chances are they won't match (plus as was said someone very well qualified would jump at your shot). That being said, have you received any information yet on possible need based aid? Harvard's average need based aid is about $20k.

I don't think any of us can really give you solid advice without knowing what you want to do. For some disciplines, Kellogg is the best of the group (and would be giving you the most money). However for many high paying jobs, such as Consulting or PE Harvard is your best bet, even with the debt. Wharton of course is also a finance powerhouse, but is strong in other areas as well (though maybe not as strong as K or H, depending on focus).

I also think Wharton and Kellogg are a lot closer than Harvard and Wharton. Perhaps not in terms of what you will actually learn, but in terms of network and earning potential. Harvard and Stanford are just head and shoulders above anywhere else. That being said, if you are good enough to get into HBS and into K and W with money, you'd probably end up being successfully getting an online MBA.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I think you will get differing viewpoints on this. Some will say you can't negotiate, others will say you can to some extent. I doubt you can get HBS to give you a dollar for dollar match, but I don't think it hurts to at least let HBS know what you're being offered. Just do it tactfully.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Law
Send PM
Congrats on getting accepted to 3 great schools and getting money to boot! Wharton and HBS are close, but HBS has such a huge name/reputation that it would be difficult to pass it up, especially if that is your first choice. I would politely ask HBS (they aren't going to reject you because you ask). However, it seems like your heart is set on HBS so enjoy the cold weather in the fall :)
GMAT Club Bot