Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink]
This test takes a long time to do but gives a fairly accurate result. My co-op roommate, an engineer, heard about it and thought he'd try it. He'd a determined guy so once he'd started he just ploughed his way through to the end. He came away with competitive for Tuck and Northwestern and competitive-stretch for Booth and to his amazement he ended up getting accepted to Booth. I think he changed his career goals somewhere in the process but he is going to Booth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Yes, this test takes time to do but it does give you an idea of where you stand and what your chances are and I think that's important to know so that you can make changes and improvements to your application. For one thing, it gave me a better understanding of the emphasis on work experience and I re-phrased some things on my resume to tie them in to my essays in a more imaginative way. I feel that I have a better application now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree that this test is very helpful even if you don't score that well because it shows you where you need to improve. I also feel I have a better application since I did it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In answer to the question "Do you have to be an engineer to do this test?" the answer is no. The engineering part relates to your work experience but you might have changed your goals since your undergraduate degree. Lots of people do. The test gives a pretty accurate assessment of chances no matter what your 1st degree was in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I found this to be a good and accurate test whether you have an engineering degree or not. Never mind the time it takes, if you want an idea of whether you're competitive material for the best schools, it's worth doing. You're putting so much effort in to your application so why not try to find out how close it is to being ready for submission? There are plenty of pointers here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Absolutely. It's a diagnostic tool and at a certain point in preparing your applications you need to do a reality check.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
We should all be ready to apply in Round 1 by now or pretty close depending on the school and I just want to say that without this test I would have had a different application. So do it giving yourself enough time to reconsider some aspects of your essays and the emphases in your resume. Best of luck to all Round 1ers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did anyone do a video presentation as part of their application?I hear Kellogg is going to be using it in next years application requirements but I also heard that someone sent a short video to Harvard this year instead of the single written essay. They did state that any 'medium' is acceptable for this part of the application. It seems risky to me, and what kind of format would you use?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The Kellogg video, required next year BTW, has the format of question and answer, but spontaneous. The only problem there would be what to wear. But doing your own video? Not for everyone. Maybe someone who's done acting would venture it and give a little performance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You can also do, and I know some people have, a Power Point presentation! This is even more mysterious to me than a video. I'd really like to see examples of these... where can I find them?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't know where or if you can see them. Consultants should have examples of them by now if you want to go there. I expect they'll be more available very soon because schools are definitely heading that way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The videos are a great idea. As far as I could see this self-assessment tool doesn't yet make room for it and it would be pretty strange trying to give yourself points for a video but it's all new and good. Meanwhile, I was glad this tool was available. It helped me to clarify my essays and improve my applications.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'd love to see some video samples but not if I have to go to an app consultant to see them. I've looked online and don't see any free examples of videos or power point presentations so I'm wondering how up-to-date the info is on the forums. I guess they will be available for viewing pretty soon since some of the top schools are already using them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I talked to someone who did a video interview for Kellogg and she said it was fine. She had everything prepared and in front of her for reference and after the first question (which took her two tries) she said she got the hang of it and felt more comfortable. The interview format was easier than the agonizing over essays - more personable and less formal than she expected and she actually felt good when it was over.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree that it could be easier (certainly faster) than writing essays. Did she prepare seriously in any way? I hear that the questions can be about anything, personal or professional - not like the essay questions. Hard to prepare for 'anything'.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I found someone who did this video 'essay' and he said yes, you definitely have to prepare for it by having notes ready and doing a few test runs so you can see yourself and hear yourself on video. Very important. Once you've figured out how to do it and gotten over the first couple of attempts it's easier. He also said he much preferred it to writing an essay. But not everyone would feel that way. I don't know if it will become a required element of the apps or not.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It's going to become a required part of the application process. It's a way for the adcoms to get a better idea of who you are and how you handle yourself.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12