Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 07:08
Hi,

I'm an engineer looking to apply to some of the US MBA programs, but i want to make sure i have a fair chance before starting this long process. i was trying to get some chances indication and stumbled upon this tool:
http://www.vocaz.com/ClientInfo/Chances ... n27985.htm

It supposed to predict my chances of admission. i did the calculations and my results were too pesimistic in my opinion :cry:
i have undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering and almost 2 years of work experience. not much, i know...
anyone else tried it? found it accurate in retrospective?

cheers,
ahish

Last edited by ahish on 21 Feb 2011, 08:12, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 15

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
Well said.. These indication tools mean nothing. The only thing certain is that if you don't apply you will definitely not get in!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
my Engineer friend who is right now at HBS took the Vocaz test on my request and his points were 12 points below the HBS category. That is direct evidence that the test is not accurate.

One Life, One Chance

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
The questions is how many recommenders you can register in the online application. if you can only register 2, how will the third recommender get the questions?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
If it helps, I just ran this test with my profile. It said I should not get into Michigan... but I will be attending Ross in the fall.
1 KUDOS received
Kellogg Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 74

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 18:45
This post received
KUDOS
One thing's for sure, if you do not apply, you'll definitely not be accepted. lol

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not sure that's the way you want to stand out, but if you think you can get away with it, go for it. You don't have to look like a paper cut-out of a suit.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
Seriously, is there any room for leeway or levity in the entire application process? The whole thing is extremely stressful once you've put your mind to getting in to one of the best schools. The only thing I can think of that might make it less anxiety producing would be leave yourself plenty of time (how many people do that?), and pace the different stages carefully.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
In case you have enough time, I suggest you also invest it in schools research and thinking about your career goals.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper, ISB, McCombs, Emory, Duke, NUS
WE 1: SAP consulting
WE 2: Business Development Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 08:36
Dude i would suggest that you put in the best application possible to each school on your list. No need to bother with these "indication tools"
best of luck
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 09:58
What a piece of garbage. A classic case of overfitting if they actually did base this on past experience. Ignore this tool and ones like it, and instead spend some time reading through GMAT Club to get an idea of where you're best off applying. And perhaps ask for a profile eval in the admissions consultant forum to get some opinions, but even then take it all with a grain of salt.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 11:52
I just did this for fun, and found that my results actually line up pretty well with my previous projections of how competitive I am for the schools I'm applying to. Of course, since I don't know yet whether I'll be accepted to any of these schools, I don't know how well it lines up with reality. But I don't think it's a completely awful tool to use, as long as it's not your sole source of choosing schools. I would never avoid applying to a dream school because of a tool like this, but if it's really important for someone to attend b-school this upcoming year, this tool might indicate if they should add a safety school or two to the mix.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 05:29
Thanks guys for cheering me up :)
Of course I'm going for it!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 05:45
Obviously, this is just a tool, and you do not have to put too much emphasis on that. However, I think the guys look competent, and I wouldn't say it is a completely irrelevant tool.
I would suggest that you take it into account for your applications, by putting more stress on certain area than on others .
The tool helps you realize that sport can help, community work, etc...
So my advice is: do not get depressed, just use it to maximize your chances.

Good luck with that

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Manager
Manager

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 05:46
btw: I am by no means affiliated to Vocaz, but I am seriously considering asking them for help in my application process (fall 2013).
Cheers

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 12:22
How are you supposed to decide whether your own essays, resume, etc. are "Strong," "Medium," or "Weak"? Would anyone here submit a "Weak" essay? I would put absolutely no weight into this tool... read through past "Applicant" posts on candidates for the schools you're interested in. And compare.

Manager
Manager

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 06:35
ok. then I may agree on what you said, if your friend from HBS is below... then there must be some flaws in the tool.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 00:39
Actually, i just used it to check my "numbers" - age, work exp, managing people. I wanted to see where do I stand if I have strong essays and recommendations (assuming I will). For that purpose I think this tool is OK, it can give some indication.
Manager
Manager

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 02:15
Out of curiosity, how did you reach this conclusion?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 08:41
well, i compared myself (roughly) to class profiles that some schools publish on their websites, with students' statistics and average GMAT, age, work experience etc.
i found out that i'm somewhere in the middle, and the chances indication tool also predicted that i would be competitive at those schools. i know that there are other parameters and this is not exact science, but still...
Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate?   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2010, 08:41