Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 587 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Is this PC to say in my essays/interview? [#permalink]
I agree with Sam. Going into an interview and listing all the things you hate about your job doesn't get much accomplished. Focus on why you need an MBA to reach your goals? If they dig a little deeper and ask about your current job, then you can tell them but keep it short.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
instead of being regretful.

is my bitterness that transparent?? ha, oops :P Just to show, I'm that sure that I'm ready for a new challenge.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's comments - defintely nice to get some feedback. Once thinking about something for this long, it's so hard to think without a bias, and know what is good and what is not.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
You want to spin your work as a positive, even if it really isnt in your mind. No matter how much you hate it you want to talk about the positives. If you seem at all negative it might minimize your work experience and that is not something you want to do. I am sure the majority of us dont absolutely love what we do or we wouldnt be going back.

Also remember unfortunately many areas of government work wont be looked at in a very positive light...other areas do look very good. It really depends what you do, so if you are in an area that wont have that wow factor or seem impressive you should make sure you sell it well. Dont be negative at all, you will just be validating any stereotypes that may be held about govt employees.

Personally I work for the govt and have a lot of friends who work there too, and I definitely think its a harder place to apply from for lots of areas. I have friends who definitely jobs that no matter what they do they cant move up at all for years. Luckily where I work we do have the wow factor, and its possible to move up a little based on abilities not just seniority, I am at a level where everyone else is much older but unfortunately there is no where to go up to for a long time so if I waited another year or two it would get much harder since I wasnt going to be moving up at all.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Ok, I don't have much time to write a full reply right now (it's 1am in Chicago, I'm dead tired after 1 full day of DAK, and I'm sitting in a hotel hallway because my room doesn't get wireless access), but I HAD TO reply to this one because it's right up my alley.

The simple answer is: Your essays will be stronger if you wrote the POSITIVE reasons on why you want to pursue your new goal and what you can contribute (your understanding of the DoD and defense industry) to the school instead of ripping on the industry. I was surprised myself, as my first drafts of essays were dissing the industry and telling them why I wanted to leave. Then,without a huge conscious effort, the negatives went away with each successive draft and I focused on what I learned about the industry and what I can share with my classmates. My essays got stronger because of it, even though I didn't think it would happen.

So hopefully this answer (from someone who has the exact same background as you and exact same reasons for leaving the industry for an MBA) will help, along with everyone else's good answers.

If you have more questions, please post and I'll reply when I get back home Sunday night.

BTW, the very interesting thing is, I was approached this morning after introducing myself in my DAK section and saying where I worked. This guy really WANTS to work in the defense industry and wants to learn more about it from me. Go figure! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
I agree with the posters here -- just stay positive about everything.

I even avoided words like 'not', 'never', 'none', etc. as much as possible in my essays. It just makes such a big difference when you try to say/see things from the positive angle!

Say, your sentence 'From these 2 experiences, I KNOW, I NEVER ever want to go back to DoD.' could be written as 'From these two experiences, I know I will be much happier and more useful in areas other than DoD.'

We all can b...ch about things that we dislike, but the truth is nobody likes to hear that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
xerox wrote:
I agree with the posters here -- just stay positive about everything.

I even avoided words like 'not', 'never', 'none', etc. as much as possible in my essays. It just makes such a big difference when you try to say/see things from the positive angle!

Say, your sentence 'From these 2 experiences, I KNOW, I NEVER ever want to go back to DoD.' could be written as 'From these two experiences, I know I will be much happier and more useful in areas other than DoD.'

We all can b...ch about things that we dislike, but the truth is nobody likes to hear that.

it's so amazing how a few words can drastically change the same experience/thought and recapture it in a whole new, better way.
GMAT Club Bot