Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Just Graduated: Long term plan for an Elite MBA School?! [#permalink]
Haha, I know what you mean. Sometimes I look back at my old writing, cracks me up...

I'm really not sure about the race thing. I don't know much about how adcoms look at diversity and other things. That is something you can't personally help, so I wouldn't worry about it, especially being a US citizen.

As far as your ACT score is concerned, it is useless now. The good thing is though that if you've done well with standardized tests in the past, you have a better chance of doing well on the GMAT. But of course, you still have to put hard work in. I didn't do great on the SAT, but worked 10x harder on the GMAT, and pulled out a 710 (which I'm very happy with). If you're shooting for a top 10 school, you should shoot for a 700 or above. That will put you right on par with your peirs.

And the extracurriculars are just another way to help round yourself out. They aren't imperative, but top 10 school applicants are going to have EVERYTHING going for them. It is crazy competative. I would want as much to put in my application as possible. Espcially if you can get a leadership position it is a way to show leadership without a management position at work.

Good luck!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
MBAHopeful2015 wrote:
Now regarding the racial issue. Yes, I am Chinese but I was born here in the US. It seems like a lot of top schools tend to be more restrictive towards Asians. However, am I correct to assume this policy ONLY applies to non us citizens?! I hope I am on equal footing with the rest of my US peers.

I am an Asian American as well, and I have to admit that it did worry me in the beginning. I went to school in Southeast Asia, and finished a program that is known for grade deflation. When I submitted my application, I had already been living in the US for over five years. And so, I wasn't sure as to whether I would be compared to the international Asians due to my education and upbringing, or to the domestic Asians due to my career background. Either way, I knew that I would have to knock it out of the park if I wanted to get accepted.

In hindsight - and I guess this is all clear to me now because my application season is over - I shouldn't have let my background get me so anxious. The best way to deal with this process is to only worry about the things that you can change and affect. There is really nothing that you can do about being an Asian American, but you can certainly study for the GMAT (use this forum as a resource, which is something that I failed to do), write exceptional essays (after doing as much research as you can about the schools to which you want to go), and use your resume as a tool to sell yourself (by quantifying your career achievements and adding significant community/volunteer experiences). In addition, don't forget to ask for help. Applicants tend to (1) underrate the value of having a fresh set of eyes read through their essays/resume, or (2) be too proud to have other people critique their work. Swallow your pride and pick a couple of people to help you. In fact, the less they know about your story, the better. This way, it would be easier for them to identify the gaps and ask you the right questions so you could fill these in. If you do all these, you should feel good about your applications no matter what the results turn out to be.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
My take is below, but first, I'm going to move this to a more appropriate forum.

How many years out of undergrad are you right now? If you have 3+ years of full time experience and you're bored with your job, why don't you take the GMAT this spring and put in applications next year?

You don't need to be an IBanker to get into a top b-school. If you have strong post-mba goals, strong work experience (which it appears you do...especially with your entrepreneurship venture), and a strong GPA + GMAT score (720+), you should be a competitive candidate for a top 10 school.

The only thing that seems lacking from your profile is extracurriculars. Regardless of when you apply, I would recommend that you start building extracurricular leadership experience immediately. This will matter at some schools more than others...but it's nonetheless important to some degree everywhere.
GMAT Club Bot