Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.24
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Kaplan GMAT Premier 2012-2013 CAT Scores [#permalink]
JaydeepR wrote:
Hello once again,
Thank you very much for helping me out.I gave the first of the 2 GMAT Prep tests today and scored a dismal 640 (Q45,V33).
I realize my verbal score is pulling my overall total down to a great extent.How do i go about that?
I got 4 wrong in CR,5 wrong in SC and 4 wrong in RC.
With a 640 in my first prep test, and ten days in hand, can i break the 700 barrier?

Hi Jaydeep,

You need to develop a strategy for each question type in verbal. So basically, you should have a way of solving a CR question that you would apply every single time without fail. Similarly, you should have a strategy for SC and RC as well. This way, you will be able to solve with an accuracy of over 80%, and that will help you in scoring over 700.

Read the following debrief for great ideas on what strategies to develop. This is really helpful:

ten-essentials-for-gmat-660-to-740-its-all-about-strategy-168560.html

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Premier 2012-2013 CAT Scores [#permalink]
Hi again,
I have been giving the MGMAT and my scores range from 570,620,590.
I have been able to make slight improvements to my CR, but i have started falling back on SC and Math.
My scaled score for Math is stagnant at 39 whereas my verbal scaled score is ranging from 30 to 35.
How do i interpret my scores?
I have read stories of people getting horrible scores on these tests but still outperforming them by a huge margin on the actual test.
I have read the link that you posted,it was indeed very helpful.Thank you very much for that !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JaydeepR wrote:
Hi again,
I have been giving the MGMAT and my scores range from 570,620,590.
I have been able to make slight improvements to my CR, but i have started falling back on SC and Math.
My scaled score for Math is stagnant at 39 whereas my verbal scaled score is ranging from 30 to 35.
How do i interpret my scores?
I have read stories of people getting horrible scores on these tests but still outperforming them by a huge margin on the actual test.
I have read the link that you posted,it was indeed very helpful.Thank you very much for that !

Hi Jaydeep,

Firstly, are you giving a mock everyday!?? If yes, then that is the wrong approach. The idea of giving mocks is not to score high on them. Instead, you shoudl give mocks to understand your weak areas and work on them. You should give 1 mock per week - Spend 1 day giving the mock, 1 day on analyzing every section and every wrong answer in detail, and then the rest 5 days working on the weak areas identified by you on the mock. Only this way you will be able to improve your test performance. If you keep giving mocks everyday or every alternate day, then you're not spending time on strengthening your weak areas. Your just giving each mock with the same weak skill set and performing badly on them.

I would recommend that you don't give any mocks for the next 6-7 days. Analyse your most recent mocks to figure what your weak areas are. And then spend time on strengthening each of them.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,
I absolutely agree with you about my approach being flawed.I took a break from my schedule of giving one mock a day,worked on my weak areas in English and gave the MGMAT 5 the next day(i do not have too many days in hand considering that my date is 28th August).
I scored a 660 (Q44,V36) on that test ! A big jump from my string of low scores earlier.Is it a good score considering 1 question was repeated? I will be giving my last mock exam tomorrow,the second of the GMAT Prep Tests.
I have realized that i'm weak in number properties and probability as well as RC.Any last minute tips?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Premier 2012-2013 CAT Scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The best last minute tip I have learned to give over the years (after many that were not best) is - don't improvise on the exam.
For example, if you did not plan/practice to spend only half a minute on the first 10 questions or 3 minutes on the first 10 questions, don't just decide to do that. Similarly if you have also always taken notes with your RC practice, do that on the test, don't just decide the day before that you will no longer do that. Basically, all strategies, approaches, and flow should be the same you have done before. You should do nothing new on the test.

Good Luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you very much for that, not improvising would be the key. :)
Considering the unusually large range of my GMAT Mock scores,570-680, and assuming i keep a calm head on the day of exam, is the 700+ score achievable?
I found the Quants in Manhattan to be tough, my highest scaled score being 44 in my last test.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
A 700 should be possible, considering you are doing pretty okay on the verbal and are in the mid forties on the quant. You should try to push that quant score a bit higher. Take a GMATPrep test to see how you do on the quant and analyze that test thoroughly. Also, keeping a calm mind on test day helps. You have done the hard work -- try not to think of the score too much and focus on enjoying the test.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JaydeepR wrote:
Thank you very much for that, not improvising would be the key. :)
Considering the unusually large range of my GMAT Mock scores,570-680, and assuming i keep a calm head on the day of exam, is the 700+ score achievable?
I found the Quants in Manhattan to be tough, my highest scaled score being 44 in my last test.

Hi Jaydeep,

Yes, it is very much possible to do better than your mocks. Just stick to your strategies and stay cool on the day of the exam. I was scoring 44 or less in quants in MGMAT mocks as well, and was able to get 48 on the real GMAT. The key is to stay focused and try to see how the question is trying to trap you. This holds true especially for DS. So if you see that you're getting an easy "C" answer on any question, check again. It is possible that you missed out on something and you could get the answer from the 1st or the 2nd statement alone.

For number properties, remember to check all possible options in DS. For example, if the question states that "x is an integer", be sure to check -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2. If the question stem doesn't mention anything about "x", then check all possible options like -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, proper fractions, and improper fractions.

For probability, I would suggest that you don't worry about it. It is not a very frequently tested topic anyway. Plus, with just 2 days to go there's nothing much you can do to improve on it. Just stay confident with what you know and be smart on the exam. And no matter what scores you get on your mock today, don't let it get to you (be it a good score or a bad score).

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello again,
Thank you both very much for that ! I gave my last mock today, the second of the GMAT Prep tests, and got a 650 (Q48,V31).That does dent my chances for a 700+ right, or no?
I made majority of my errors in Sentence Correction, hope i can improve on that while giving my test !
The last day before my exam i will spend reading a few AWA essays and probably brush up on a few formulae. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JaydeepR wrote:
Hello again,
Thank you both very much for that ! I gave my last mock today, the second of the GMAT Prep tests, and got a 650 (Q48,V31).That does dent my chances for a 700+ right, or no?
I made majority of my errors in Sentence Correction, hope i can improve on that while giving my test !
The last day before my exam i will spend reading a few AWA essays and probably brush up on a few formulae. :)

Hi Jaydeep

How was your GMAT then? Hope you did great! :)
GMAT Club Bot