Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Management, Strategy & Finance
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg or Chicago [#permalink]
If you're interested in PT, I'd give the edge to Chicago. I'm not particularly biased toward either school, because I'm planning on applying to both for full-time. If I were faced with the fortunate dilemma of being accepted to both schools, that would be a difficult decision to make.

In my opinion, they're both really fantastic schools.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
I would probably apply to both and ask this question only if you had option to attend either school (waiting to see the application outcome will usually answer a question like this :-D ) but if you must pick one before applying to either school, I would recommend you to take a look at each school's academic bulletin with list of electives offered at each school. If one school's list of electives appeal more than the other, then go with that school.

Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with Booth or Kellogg.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [1]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
OK ... Applied to Kellogg ... got their response in 2days and I'm IN !!! .... I'm 99% sure I'll go with Kellogg (I probably won't apply to Chicago) and here are MY (only mine ... may not apply to others) reasons why

I wanted to just put this out there so that this would benefit the many others who go through this dilemma

1. Network Strength
Info: Both univs have their strengths. Based on my interaction with current students and alumni from Chicago, I see most of them focused on finance and hence more alumni would tend to be from the finance area as well. I am not really planing to change my career to do anything that finance majors typically do .. so I really seek a network in areas such as marketing or strategic mgt or GM or business dev .... and I feel kellogg is better in that regard due to the nature of the what kind of roles people take up after their MBA at kellogg

2. Strength in potential majors:
My answer is based on just looking at various rankings (USnews, BW, Financial Times etc and talking to both Kellogg alumni/students and Chicago alumni/students)
General Management
Kellogg > Chicago

Strategy
Kellogg > Chicago

Finance
Kellogg < Chicago

3. Calibre of Professors
Too close to call

4. Flexibility of the program - Part time
It is indeed true that Chicago's program is more flexible. Something that I like and will have to give up ...
Chicago have a more established saturday program and it is easier for evening students to take courses in the sat program ... also since the same courses tend to be offered both during evenings and sats by the same profs it is easier for students to take a course on a sat if they have to miss one of the weekday courses due to any work or personal commitments

5. Program Rigor
Depends on what you want. The impression I got was that Kellogg focuses more on applications and on the soft skills development whereas Chicago focuses a little more on theory and depth ...

Another side note: Chicago's tests are tougher than Kellogg's seems like getting a B in a Kellogg course is a given (unless you're super duper slacking ... whereas even above avg students sweat to get B or B+ in chicago ... might be something you want to consider if your company reimburses for a grade of B or above ...

6. Effort Required
Info: How much do you need to spend your time slogging before exams
Chicago students seem to spend a lot more time doing this than Kellogg students ...
Well ... I'm guessing I can use the extra time to participate in a club in kellogg and improve my network and other aspects ... but I can't really comment until I can actually achieve this ...

7. Career Center - Part time
After a lot of talking to different students ... seems like it is all the same w.r.t this ...

8. Extra courses after part time program
Chicago allows 3 extra free courses
Kellogg allows 4 extra free courses

9. Opportunities to make connections while doing PT program
Kellogg shows more promise due to the interactive nature .. but l'll reserve comment until I go through my first course there ... I've taken a course in Chicago through their graduate student at large program. So I think I can actually do a fair comparison.

10. Degree Cert for PT MBA
Info: Rumor is that kellogg MBA identifies that the degree awarded is a PT-MBA degree while chicago does not. Is this true ?
Strictly a rumor Confirmed with Kellogg students that the degree does not identify it as a part time MBA.

Originally posted by prude_sb on 22 Sep 2009, 21:40.
Last edited by prude_sb on 29 Sep 2009, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
prude_sb, congrats with your choice!

Being at Booth only 3 weeks, I really love it and each day is a fantastic day for me. Sorry, but I disagree with your approach to assess schools. They are both outstanding and they both give you a lot of opportunities to develop. It is up to you what way to go and how to leverage those opportunities. I think the main difference is culture. How do you fit the school values? It is important as each school is trying to create new classes in agreement with the values. Booth's emphasize on team + leadership + challenge fits the best for me. But again, it is not a set of inequalities.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Management, Strategy &amp; Finance
 Q50  V42
Send PM
walker wrote:

Being at Booth only 3 weeks, I really love it and each day is a fantastic day for me. Sorry, but I disagree with your approach to assess schools. They are both outstanding and they both give you a lot of opportunities to develop. It is up to you what way to go and how to leverage those opportunities. I think the main difference is culture. How do you fit the school values? It is important as each school is trying to create new classes in agreement with the values. Booth's emphasize on team + leadership + challenge fits the best for me. But again, it is not a set of inequalities.

Thank you Walker ! Chicago is a great school and I absolutely loved the one course I actually took there, great people, awesome prof ... overall a wonderful experience.

In my opinion every person decides the school of their choice based on some set of criteria ... I have just tried to put down what I felt ... for others, it may be right it may be wrong ... to my knowledge there is really no right way and I intend this as information others can use ...

One of the problems I faced while looking for information between the schools was vague statements from people that "I just felt like I was a better fit at X" ... "Going to X felt like the right thing", "I want finance/mktg so X". To me, this did not give much information. Culture as you say is certainly a big part of one's decision ... how you see yourself fit with this helps you make your choice ... ultimately every person makes a choice based on a specific set of reasons... i have just tried to articulate mine ... my sensitivity level on some aspects may not be the same as others ... the aspects I look at may not be the same as what others might look at ... This may or may not be an approach that others find suitable ... in fact, this is only my way of capturing my thoughts ...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
prude_sb wrote:
walker wrote:

Thank you Walker ! Chicago is a great school and I absolutely loved the one course I actually took there, great people, awesome prof ... overall a wonderful experience.

In my opinion every person decides the school of their choice based on some set of criteria ... I have just tried to put down what I felt ... for others, it may be right it may be wrong ... to my knowledge there is really no right way and I intend this as information others can use ...

One of the problems I faced while looking for information between the schools was vague statements from people that "I just felt like I was a better fit at X" ... "Going to X felt like the right thing", "I want finance/mktg so X". To me, this did not give much information. Culture as you say is certainly a big part of one's decision ... how you see yourself fit with this helps you make your choice ... ultimately every person makes a choice based on a specific set of reasons... i have just tried to articulate mine ... my sensitivity level on some aspects may not be the same as others ... the aspects I look at may not be the same as what others might look at ... This may or may not be an approach that others find suitable ... in fact, this is only my way of capturing my thoughts ...

Wait, you already found out you got in???? Did you apply this year for Fall 2010 matriculation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
He applied to the part time MBA ACNGuy :)

Congrats!

Originally posted by sharstarz12 on 23 Sep 2009, 05:51.
Last edited by sharstarz12 on 23 Sep 2009, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
sharstarz12 wrote:
He applied to the part time MBA ACNGuy :)

I was going to say "I need to get my app in now!" Haha, well congrats on getting in!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring &amp; Distressed M&amp;A
Send PM
prude_sb wrote:
OK ... Applied to Kellogg ... got their response in 2days and I'm IN !!! ....

Kellogg gives PT MBA decisions in 2 days??? :shock:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
prude_sb wrote:
in fact, this is only my way of capturing my thoughts ...

You are right. It is very important that it is your decision and you are confident in it!
One more time, congrats on getting in!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V41
Send PM
A quick thought about alumni network - I don't really know which school has a stronger one. I do know that it is very important to have people from your industry in your alumni network. My advice is to look which school sends more people to the industry that interests yuo - you will need those alumni later.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Management, Strategy &amp; Finance
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Gil wrote:
A quick thought about alumni network - I don't really know which school has a stronger one. I do know that it is very important to have people from your industry in your alumni network. My advice is to look which school sends more people to the industry that interests yuo - you will need those alumni later.

Gil thats exactly what I meant ... i've edited my post to be more clear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Gil wrote:

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Which school has the better facilities? It seems Gleacher center (Booth) is very high end while the Wieboldt Hall (Kellogg) seems like a 3 star hotel in comparison. But having a regular lunch at the Gleacher center may cost at least $20-$30 while at Wieboldt it will be more like $12. Can anyone confirm this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Gen. Mgt.
Schools:Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Send PM
After having visited Gleacher center and Wieboldt Hall a few times I would say the meals are comparably priced!

JinJJa wrote:
Which school has the better facilities? It seems Gleacher center (Booth) is very high end while the Wieboldt Hall (Kellogg) seems like a 3 star hotel in comparison. But having a regular lunch at the Gleacher center may cost at least $20-$30 while at Wieboldt it will be more like $12. Can anyone confirm this?
GMAT Club Bot