Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship & Innovation, Finance
Schools:Stern, Cornell, HEC Paris, ASU, Tepper
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship & Innovation, Finance
Schools:Stern, Cornell, HEC Paris, ASU, Tepper
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Re: Lacking Work Experience - Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Perfect, sounds like you got your answer right there, I think that explanation would be perfect as to explain where your head is come applications in 2012. I'm sure i'll see a lot of you in the coming months heading into the same year for our programs, best of luck and keep in touch.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rmobeen wrote:
First and foremost, thanks in advance for responding and helping me with your comments and constructive criticism!

26 year old male of South American/West Indian descent, born in Canada
Undergrad GPA: 3.02/4.00
Last 2 years of undergrad GPA: 3.3
Major: Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Minor: Finance
Notables:
- 4th year calculus – 3.67 grade point
- Some extra-curricular during UG
-developed manual used in 4th year curriculum
-lots of leadership experience through group/ class projects

Languages: English (mother tongue), French beginner

-GMAT: writing Sept 19, 2011, currently in Kaplan prep course

Certification: Canadian Securities Course (roughly equivalent to the Series 7 in the US) – is a financial certificate that was done post-undergrad

Work experience: 6 months insurance related, 2.5 years luxury brand sales (1.5 years of this is part-time)

International Exposure: 23 countries – travels to Africa, South America, Central America, Europe, Caribbean

Extra-curriculars (post-undergrad): 1 year mentoring at-risk youth, 8 months Big Brother (22 months at Sept 2012) mentoring 1 male youth, 1 year volunteering for large non-profit, leading a team of volunteers to under-developed country early 2012 (with the large non-profit) to build homes

I should also mention I went through some personal demons that began near the end of my undergrad which are still on-going but have diminished in the past 6 months. Long story short, family business that was operating for 10+ years (spent all of my summer breaks working in the factory) folded through greed, deliberate mismanagement, and basically pushing my immediate family out; which, resulted in the loss of contact with 23 family members (of whom were cousins that were basically my brothers and sisters). Lots of legal drama and stress! The stress of the situation basically plagued me with constant migraines and seen several doctors and neurologists relating to the matter.

I am planning to apply for an MBA for the September 2012 intake. So far I feel that my biggest weakness in my profile is my work experience. Is there any way I can balance it? I was also looking into a Masters in Marketing or International Business because they don’t require work experience.

During an MBA I would like to focus on: marketing (specifically brand management, strategy, and the luxury industry), social entrepreneurship/enterprise (specifically non-profits and humanitarian causes - not so much green/environmental initiatives), and lastly private equity/ venture finance.

Can anyone offer advice, wisdom, recommendations, criticisms, guidance?

Thank you very much!

RM

Since you have little work experience, then you may want to apply to some masters programs that are designed for recent graduates as a bridge to business careers. Some you may be interested in include: Duke's MMS, Columbia's Master of Science in Marketing, London Business School's Master in Management, HEC Paris's Master of Science in Marketing, and Imperial College's Masters in Strategic Marketing or it's MSc in Management.
These programs focus much more on your abilities - ie., your GPA and test scores - than on your work experience and will give you the opportunity to explore an area you enjoy while moving your career forward in the direction you would prefer.
GMAT Club Bot