Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Re: LBS vs Insead (some $) vs SDA Bocconi (full ride) vs MBS [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I get the impression that your biggest priority is the brand of the b-school. So this eliminates Bocconi and MBS. LBS and INSEAD are global Ultra Elite schools. We use this clustering system to categorize international schools : ranks-and-clusterings-of-various-international-b-schools-78320.html. Either one of the Ultra Elite schools will give you a great brand and many many opportunities that wont be open to you from MBS/Bocconi which are regional brands (for Austraila/Italy).

However your aims of consulting / finance are a bit confusing because, for most people, its one or the other. LBS places tons of folks in M/B/B and it also places a lot of people in the London finance hub. INSEAD has an even better consulting placement record but its not quite as strong as LBS in finance. Finally as you probably already know, INSEAD MBA can be had a lot quicker than the LBS MBA. One thing you may want to consider is the visa process for jobs is pretty straightforward for Aussies in the UK, but not so easy in mainland Europe.

As far as money goes, look at the MBA as a longer term investment ( a once in your lifetime experience). Most alumnae I've spoken to seem to have paid off the debt at most in 3-4 years (but usually earlier than that).

(ps. there is nothing wrong in being a brand whore - I picked LBS also because of a strong brand, which will be important when I return to Australia. Both INSEAD and LBS hold a lot of respect in Australia).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hahaha.... :lol:

I do think I could be a brand whore indeed...from the sound of it....I am perhaps in denial.... :oops:

Actually if the intention to stay in London / Europe is there and is possible, I don't see much difference between LBS and SDA Bocconi, as Bocconi has a strong network within finance in London as well.

However that said, I will like to have the flexibility to be able to choose to come back to Asia / Australia should there be better job opportunities in Asia / Australia after the MBA.

I have done both consulting and finance. Though it is good to have the single-minded focus on the area where you wish to end up working, in this tough economic climate, sometimes you have to take the best opportunity that is offered to you at that point in time, be it consulting or finance.

You have no intention to stay in Europe afterwards? If so, why take the expense and go to LBS? If you intend to stay in Australia, why not MBS or AGSM (god knows what they are called now!)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
I have been asked this question a few times (esp from mates in Sydney who think I'm nuts). My answer is - its worth it. I don't believe that either MBS or AGSM provide the kind of experience that will enable me to make my intended career switch from IT to finance (sales and trading), whereas LBS with its location and its 2 year curriculum will provide me with the best opportunities. Furthermore, I'd like to live the life of a small fish in a big ocean (London) for a few years. I consider that exposure to be very important when I return. All the admits (both from Australia and elsewhere) I've met so far have only reinforced the belief that I've made the right choice. I'm traveling at the moment and meeting some great people in other LBS admits - everyone's extraordinary and yet humble and welcoming. I know that I'll really enjoy 2 years with this peer group and I know that the peer group in AGSM and MBS will not be as diverse (the class size for both these programs is tiny).

mbagogogo wrote:
You have no intention to stay in Europe afterwards? If so, why take the expense and go to LBS? If you intend to stay in Australia, why not MBS or AGSM (god knows what they are called now!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Wow. INSEAD gave you one of the awards that go with the admit decision? I am impressed.

Between LBS and INSEAD, it is clear to me that you should go for INSEAD, even though I will be your classmate and will envy your award :oops:

If money is an important factor then this does tip the balance. INSEAD will be A LOT less expensive than LBS. LBS is costlier even before you take the scholarship into account. Then you have another factor - access to the Asian job market. If that is important to you as well, then INSEAD has another advantage with the Singapore campus. All else is more or less equal or too close to call: brand strength, placement in finance, diversity of students.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I can attest to the power of the Bocconi brand in New York. I had contacted some Hedge Fund recruiters about various brand recognition in the US. Apparently, Insead(of course) and Bocconi offer top placement. This was also ahead of Hec Paris. Anyway, not sure if you want to go in HF but maybe this might help others out there. 8-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot