Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I'd like to reply, but I'm just not sure what to make of that cr@p. I need to take a closer look at it later.

Heh. Crap is the right word.

I was trying to run a regression to determine how different variables play into the model of accept or deny.

In short, the data suggests that GMAT is worth nothing and GPA is worth everything. The reason for this is that there simply isn't enough data below the 700 mark. There's plenty above, but little below. In short, the regression is worthless.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:
I'd like to reply, but I'm just not sure what to make of that cr@p. I need to take a closer look at it later.

Heh. Crap is the right word.

I was trying to run a regression to determine how different variables play into the model of accept or deny.

In short, the data suggests that GMAT is worth nothing and GPA is worth everything. The reason for this is that there simply isn't enough data below the 700 mark. There's plenty above, but little below. In short, the regression is worthless.

That was my first reaction to your message; that the most important factor was GPA, and that there was a negative correlation to GMAT Quant. As you have said, the real problem is with the data set. It is reasonable to believe that GMAT will be more of a factor as it gets lower from the average; by the time GMAT is below 640, it might be the single more important factor of all (nearly impossible to overcome).

On the other hand, if scores are artificially limited to 700+ (as they are here), but other factors are allowed to flow freely (more or less), then the other factors will clearly gain in importance.

I think of it this way. Each of the following could result in an "easy deny":
1. really low GMAT
2. really low GPA
3. really outrageous age
4. really horrendous recs
5. really low grade work experience

If you remove the "easy denies" with low GMATs, but leave the other "easy denies" in place, then clearly they will factor in more obviously.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sounds like a range restriction issue.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Sounds like a range restriction issue.

Spoken like a true mathematician.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i also tried to make some sense on the relative importance of parameters.

I think that linear regression is not suitable here...
there are too many non-parametric variables that are arbitrarily modeled as [0,1]. in general regression model tend to work better for variables that are parametric, and preferably linear.
also, the GMAT score in itself is not a linear parameter, i.e. the difference between 620 to 650 has different meaning (and effect) than the difference between 720 to 750. a linear model cannot model such difference.

so i'm not surprised with rhyme's result are not so good (and its not that rhymes work is crap... actually it seems that you did good work... but you ran into the theoretical limitations of regression).

i'd approach it differently. to check the effect of GMAT score, i'd compare the GMAT scores of those who accepted/dinged using t-test. these tests are better to model connection between parametric/non-parameteric variables.

to see the multi-dimensional (or multi-variate) connections, i'd use factor analysis that would help explain the source of the variance in the target variable in terms of variances of the dependant variables.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
reading the thread (and my post) again...
it might be that i confused factor analysis and "analysis of variance" (also known as ANOVA)... i can check it if you'd like. long time since i used them in practice...

also, if we want to still purues the linear model there are 3 things that may help it to be more accurate:
a) normalizing scale. i'm not sure if you did that or not, but if you'd like for the coefficient to represent relative importance you need all parameters to work on the same scale. i.e. if you work with gmat score, divide it by 800 to have a 0...1 scale (or better, since there is no data on lower scores, better substract 550 from the score and divide by 250. same with GPA (divide by 4 or substract something and normalize) etc...
if all variables are normalized to 0..1 scale the correlation remains the same, but coefficients can be compared. but again... you might have already done that

b) to overcome the non-linearity of gmat score (and quant/verbal score as well), you can use percentiles instead. percentiles are, by definition, a linear parameter.

c) instead of 0/1 target variable (0-dinged,1-accepted), you can elaborate it further to represent more information. for example: 0-dinged, 1-interviewed but dinged, 2-accepted
or even better (if you have the data):0-dinged,1-interviewed but dinged, 2-waitlisted but rejected, 3- waitlisted and accepted, 4-accepted.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]