Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 411 [3] , given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 14:19
This post received
KUDOS
dentobizz wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
No compiled lists yet.......come on guys still waiting for reponses so that i can go ahead with posting........

I agree there is no use of JUST posting questions w/o discussion from other participant members. I will post some more takeaways from the remaining 5-6 questions and finish the exercise.

I have complied ALL 50 questions discussed in this thread with OA in this document below for future reference. Enjoy!

Please Post your takeaways from the 50Q and also doubts if you have any for a Meaningful discussion

We are NOT going to see these SAME QUESTIONS on the actual GMAT, But we WILL encounter sentence where these very Takeaways/concepts can be applied. So post your takeaways too. Thanks.
Attachments

File comment: 50 questions with OA from OG10
OG 10 QUESTIONS 1 to 50 WITH OA.dentobizz (1).doc [69 KiB]
Downloaded 77 times

To download please login or register as a user

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Last edited by dentobizz on 09 Jan 2013, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 2241 [0], given: 690

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 08:20
Expert's post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 08:32
thanks carcass. I think Archit will post more questions once there is enough participation from other members on the forum

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 10:58
1.D
2.C
3.B
4.A
5.D
6.E
7.C
8.D
9.E
10.D

I am sure I have got the most of the last 5 wrong :\

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 11:27
I guess I joined late, but can someone please clear my doubt regarding the below questions ?

4. The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before
they rot when warmer weather returns.
(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns I dont find anything wrong here :S
(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them
(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather
returns
(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns
(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit some how to have it sounded wrong tom e like in passive voice

5. Carbon-14 dating reveals that the megalithic monuments in Brittany are nearly 2,000 years as old as any of
their supposed Mediterranean predecessors.
(A) as old as any of their supposed
(B) older than any of their supposed :?:
(C) as old as their supposed
(D) older than any of their supposedlyAdverb correctly modifying the nouns should it be like this
(E) as old as their supposedly

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 02:16
abhinav11 wrote:
I guess I joined late, but can someone please clear my doubt regarding the below questions ?

4. The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before
they rot when warmer weather returns.
(A) to process themquickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns I dont find anything wrong here :S
(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them
(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather
returns
(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns
(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit some how to have it sounded wrong tom e like in passive voice

5. Carbon-14 dating reveals that the megalithic monuments in Brittany are nearly 2,000 years as old as any of
their supposed Mediterranean predecessors.
(A) as old as any of their supposed
(B) older than any of their supposed :?:
(C) as old as their supposed
(D) older than any of their supposedlyAdverb correctly modifying the nouns should it be like this
(E) as old as their supposedly

citrus needs a singular pronoun and verb 'them' is plural making the answer choice wrong.

q5 ] pls underline the relevant part in the sentence for clarity; meaning is the key issue here

anyhow, the questions is where the monuments are older than or as old as their supposed /supposedly Meditrn. predecessors.

the intended meaning is that --whether these are predecessors or not , so we will use supposed (here supposed and mediterranean both modify predecessors)
that leave us with A B C, the sentence now reads xxxxxxxxx monuments are nearly 2,000 years ...............supposed mediterranean predecessors
2000 yrs as old as ---is nonsensical
2000 yrs older than SUPPOSED predecessors makes sense

using supposedly would imply that we don't know it the predecessors are mediterranean (supposedly will modify mediterranean that in turn modify predecessors)

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:36
I may be harsh in saying this,yes the initiative is great but the method isn't.
I was just attempting the question list right from the start of the discussion and found that no discussions are happening on the questions rather than the thread creator is just posting questions with a great speed thereby affecting the quality of discussion what GMTCLB offers.For instance we can find forums in which 3 pages discussions happened just for a single questions.

This isn't an offense it is just a suggestion to improve the quality of discussion which could be fruitful for members of this forum.

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 21:23
dentobizz wrote:
dentobizz wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
No compiled lists yet.......come on guys still waiting for reponses so that i can go ahead with posting........

I agree there is no use of JUST posting questions w/o discussion from other participant members. I will post some more takeaways from the remaining 5-6 questions and finish the exercise.

I have complied ALL 50 questions discussed in this thread with OA in this document below for future reference. Enjoy!

Please Post your takeaways from the 50Q and also doubts if you have any for a Meaningful discussion

We are NOT going to see these SAME QUESTIONS on the actual GMAT, But we WILL encounter sentence where these very Takeaways/concepts can be applied. So post your takeaways too. Thanks.

Hi,

To bring it to your notice , OA's from 21 -30 are not mentioned in the file.
Kindly recheck and edit the same.

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 131

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 01:26
Archit143 wrote:
Posting OA 41 - 50

41 E
42 C
43 A
44 E
45 C
46 E
47 E
48 C
49 B
50 D
Requesting all to present takeaways..I am preparing set of question out of these 50 with the heading of " Questions pertaining to Verb ing Modifier'......I feel that this type modifier are real challenge and acing such tye will guarantee 25 - 30 % correct SC answer

Pls post OA frens

@targetgmatchotu

I think the original poster wanted to have a discussion (as highlighted above) and hence asked people to post their takeaways but you can't have a discussion w/o active participation. So it would be better to start a discussion rather than complain about lack of the same. Just to add the discussion did take place on the few questions that many people got incorrect and IMO the length of the discussion is NOT proportional to its quality.

impossible is nothing

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 05:42
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Hi,

Rgds,
Saurabh

Hi Saurabh,
Finally some posts on this thread albeit not a actual meaningful discussion. Thanks, for pointing out that answers from 21-30 are missing (surprisingly the 15-16 people who downloaded the document earlier did not bring it to my notice.) I have edited the post and added the solutions.
As far as the discussion about the questions is concerned, I had posted the takeaways from Q31-Q40 and discussed some 6-7 questions additionally , but when I saw the lack of participation from other I did not post anymore takeaways.I guess the same may be the case with the original poster (Archit143) as indicated by his posts.
Btw some questions out of the 50 are tricky and can teach you a thing or two. If you find any questions difficult or important then they can be discussed now.

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 07:05
bluemints wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
Posting OA 41 - 50

41 E
42 C
43 A
44 E
45 C
46 E
47 E
48 C
49 B
50 D
Requesting all to present takeaways..I am preparing set of question out of these 50 with the heading of " Questions pertaining to Verb ing Modifier'......I feel that this type modifier are real challenge and acing such tye will guarantee 25 - 30 % correct SC answer

Pls post OA frens

@targetgmatchotu

I think the original poster wanted to have a discussion (as highlighted above) and hence asked people to post their takeaways but you can't have a discussion w/o active participation. So it would be better to start a discussion rather than complain about lack of the same. Just to add the discussion did take place on the few questions that many people got incorrect and IMO the length of the discussion is NOT proportional to its quality.

Well I never pointed on quality of OG question ,the thread started just posted 20-40 questions within two days .Moreover you can't expect people responding within seconds for all questions ,for discussion to happen let the questions stay there and then only the discussion can happen.A reader browse through the thread finds that only questions ,questions and only questions ,there is no analysis no POE minimal concepts pointed out by members.I just contrasted this thread with other threads of the forums where in maximum is discussion and minimal of OA's where in members justify wrong answers also but they have a point and there we have frutiful discussion where we come to know why the wrong answer choice is really wrong.

Mere running a sprint won't help anyone,it is a marathon which has to be completed.

PS:No offense to anyone ,it was just a suggestion because as I was practicing I got plenty of questions wrong thank god I searched them on GMAT club else would have been restless without knowing the reasoning behind.

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 00:32
Rightly said its a marathon so must run at a constant speed or else you will start falling behind eveyone.......

Moreover i am not able to post on any of the forums due to some tech glitch..hence did not post anythin since long.

I am posting from another IP add

You can always pm me if you want to discuss.....
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 00:48
targetgmatchotu wrote:
dentobizz wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

Hi,

Rgds,
Saurabh

Hi Saurabh

Thanks for shwin intrest to the thread hope you would have rather discussed questions in which you have doubt, It would have for sure helped the readers

OK about OA from 21-30...Pls go thru the thread completely before jumping guns........You can find OA of 21 - 30 on 4th page the post has got Kudos too.
For your Convience I am posting the answers of 21 -30 again
Press kudo's for sure this will end your problem..... :lol:

posting the OA's 21 - 30

21-b
22-c
23-d
24-e
25-c
26-b
27-c
28-e
29-a
30-c

I will really encourage to discuss a question rather than to present your discontent to a thread.

Regrds

Archit....

I am not able to post using my laptop , so i cannot post answer to your queries ASAP, but i promise i ll strive and will post.
Its good that u r shwn interest ....Looking fwd to see your take aways from the post...As it will help me and other readers......
Expert Post
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 2241 [0], given: 690

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 08:46
Expert's post
This thread is amazing. compliments

however, I'll suggest to do, next time, a post as gmat-like style teachs us. In other words: break up the topic into chunks.

Post for instance

a) the most valuable SC's, otherwise is a waste of energy.

b) make a post for each 10 at maximum 15 questions, then the next 15. i.e. : OG 10 first set; second post OG 10 second set and open the second one with the link to the first one; the third with 10/15 questions and link to the previous posts (i.e. the first and the second ) and so on and so forth. when you have finished a thread to sum up the entire situation.

In that way is more manageable.

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 19:58
Hi Archit,

Errata for question number 41.

41. Under a provision of the Constitution that was never applied. Congress has been required to call a convention
for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it by the legislatures
of two-thirds of the states.

After the first sentence "under .... applied" there should have been a comma and not a period.Plz rectify the same

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 17:00
Marcab wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
2. Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional
farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about
Colorado's size.
(A) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size
(B) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, about the size of Colorado
(C) has grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado
(D) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado's
(E) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, about Colorado's size

Pls comment on what is wrong is the usage of "about Colorado's size" i think its perfectly fine...only thing is that it has an idionm error in option E i.e from X up to y

Hii Archit.
In the correct answer choice, it is a must to use an appositive. An appositive describes a noun which is far away. In the status quo, without the appositive "an area" it seems that number is about the Colorado's size. If you use appositive "an area", then in such a case 59 million would be treated together with "acres" AS AN AREA.
Another issue with E is that it uses possessives. GMAT tends to avoid that. In fact, answer choice D seems nice unless you notice the usage of possessive noun.
Hope that helps.

A and B should be eliminated bc "the number of acres" is singular and requires "has grown". In D and E "Has grown" and "up" are redundant.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 00:09
Hi everyone, I am new to this club and I have just started my preparation. Is it good to start from SC section? If not then please guide.

I tried to answer the above mentioned ques list and here are my ans:-
1 D
2 C
3 B
4 E
5 D
6 C
7 C
8 D
9 D
10 A

I got 3 wrong. Please help me to solve Q5 as other two ques are discussed.

Thanks
Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 04:17
PrateekDua wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new to this club and I have just started my preparation. Is it good to start from SC section? If not then please guide.

I tried to answer the above mentioned ques list and here are my ans:-
1 D
2 C
3 B
4 E
5 D
6 C
7 C
8 D
9 D
10 A

I got 3 wrong. Please help me to solve Q5 as other two ques are discussed.

Thanks

Sir,

Give a diagnostic test from Official Guide -13 and you may get the feeling which section you are lacking in.Start with that section itself.Having said that here is reply to your query.

Q5.

2000 years as old as isn't idiomatic.We can say twice as old as however.

After above criterion we have two options.

Supposed (Adjective)
Supposedly (Adverb)

The meaning of the sentence demands an adjective.Furthermore, we can have two valid constructions.

ADJ+ADJ+NOUN (Here both ADJ's describes NOUN)
ADV+ADJ+NOUN (Here ADV describes ADJ and ADJ in turn describes NOUN)

Hope this helps

Rgds,
TGC

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 73

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 00:54
Archit143 wrote:
24. The first decision for most tenants living in a building undergoing being converted to cooperative ownership
is if to sign a no-buy pledge with the other tenants.
(A) being converted to cooperative ownership is if to sign
(B) being converted to cooperative ownership is whether they should be signing
(C) being converted to cooperative ownership is whether or not they sign
(D) conversion to cooperative ownership is if to sign
(E) conversion to cooperative ownership is whether to sign

Can someone explain why E is chosen over D?

You've been walking the ocean's edge, holding up your robes to keep them dry. You must dive naked under, and deeper under, a thousand times deeper! - Rumi

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nprep-com/ - This is worth its weight in gold

Economist GMAT Test - 730, Q50, V41 Aug 9th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 670, Q45, V36 Aug 11th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 680, Q47, V36 Aug 17th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 1 - 770, Q50, V44 Aug 24th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 690, Q45, V39 Aug 30th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 710, Q48, V39 Sep 13th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 2 - 740, Q49, V41 Oct 6th, 2013

GMAT - 770, Q50, V44, Oct 7th, 2013
My Debrief - from-the-ashes-thou-shall-rise-770-q-50-v-44-awa-5-ir-162299.html#p1284542

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1126 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 01:07
Transcendentalist wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
24. The first decision for most tenants living in a building undergoing being converted to cooperative ownership
is if to sign a no-buy pledge with the other tenants.
(A) being converted to cooperative ownership is if to sign
(B) being converted to cooperative ownership is whether they should be signing
(C) being converted to cooperative ownership is whether or not they sign
(D) conversion to cooperative ownership is if to sign
(E) conversion to cooperative ownership is whether to sign

Can someone explain why E is chosen over D?

E vs D means "if" vs "whether"

Useful rule:
"Use if for a conditional idea, whether for an alternative or possibility"

But generally speaking after a prepositions , use only whether.
If you have more doubts refere here

Hope it's clear, let me know

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Re: Lets destroy OG , Started with OG 10   [#permalink] 18 May 2013, 01:07