Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT-LGO '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.81
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Sloan (MIT): MIT-LGO 2014 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Is anyone flying in for Ambassador day? I am thinking of flying in but I need to arrange my flight and hotel in short notice. Any suggestions?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, I am an international applicant. I have submitted all materials thru Sloan school except TOEFL. The engineering department I am applying for is Chemical Engineering. I would like to know whether ChemEng requires TOEFL or not. If yes, I would like to apply for waiving my TOEFL but do not know whom to contact.

Can anyone advise?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Ammar & Vaishal! Not sure if you are still checking this forum, but if you are, can you help answer a few questions? I am trying to decide between the regular MBA program and the LGO program at Sloan.

1. How many extra classes are you taking per semester compared to regular MBA students to fulfill the Engineering and MBA graduation requirements?
2. Do you feel it is difficult to find opportunities outside of the primary large partner companies?

Thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi KMC123,

We are here!

As far as your first question, total engineering classes will be +/-4 over three semesters, as it depends on the specific engineering major you are applying to and their requirements. However, it is within that range. Why 3 semesters? Because our summer schedule is set, and we are away for a full semester during the two years. So, it is quite common that students take 2 engineering classes in one of their semesters and then only one engineering class during each of the two remaining semesters. Now, is that a rule? Not really.
How hard are these classes? Depends on the class you are taking. You can be taking the same classes as those PhD students take to prepare for their qual tests (very intense!) or you can take classes that are cross-referenced with the Sloan (less intense!) It all depends on your preference and what you are interested in.

The answer to your second question is: No. It is very easy to find opportunities in other companies. In fact, it is easier than being a regular MBA! Because some companies (that are non-partners) seek us out for our tech knowledge and engineering and operations background.

Hope that answered your questions,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the quick response! An extra 1-2 classes per semester seems manageable. Are you also taking extra MBA classes to fulfill the MBA requirements since you are only on campus for 3 semesters?

I'm trying to gain a better understanding of how difficult it would be to manage a full academic schedule and participate in various extra-curricular/social functions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Np! Oh, I also forgot to mention that you will be partaking in the LGO seminars. These are weekly classes where speakers come and give presentation about specific topics. Your only job is to come to class awake and be enlightened (most of the time!). There are two specific LGO seminars: one is required and one is optional. Both focused on leadership and operations.

Don't forget that you get the whole summer before the Fall (though your schedule is predetermined for that summer). So, yes - you have to choose Sloan/MBA electives. For example, this semester I am taking the following (in addition to the main core classes with Sloan)
Competitive Strategy (sloan elective)
System Dynamics (sloan elective)
Airline Industry
It is plenty of work, but nothing to stop me from being involved in clubs, LGO committees, and other activities. And, I would say this is the case for my LGO class-mates. Some of them are involved in clubs, competing in case competitions, etc etc.

That is said, I am on the very upper/higher end of the work-load. And, I know plenty of classmates who opt to take two classes (an engineering and sloan elective) or even just only one (an engineering class) in addition to the core MBA classes. Sloan is very flexible in figuring out your schedule. And, it is about your comfort zone and what you want to do.

Ultimately, It's definitely more work than regular MBA. But we help each other and pull through. I couldn't see anyone regretting the LGO experience because of the workload. There is so much going on at Sloan that you will probably fill-up your time just the same if you are in the full time program. So I feel in either cases the limitation is only you and what you are comfortable with :D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much Ammar! This has been very helpful :).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ammar - I couldn't find this anywhere on the LGO website and was hoping that you could help. You mentioned that Sloan is flexible in letting you design your schedule and I was wondering what are the graduation requirements for LGO? I know the regular MBA program is 144 credits. Do you need as many engineering credits to graduate? Also how many of the engineering credits are pre-defined by the LGO program? I'm trying to get a better understanding of how much control you have over your engineering schedule/course selection. Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Submitted my app last week- I'm surprised there hasn't been much activity in this thread, compared to previous years. Best of luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GRE 1: Q161 V167
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Just put mine in during the wee hours of the morning Sunday -- always down to the wire! Good luck everyone. Any reapplicants this year? How did the lack of cover letter change the application for you?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Submitted mine as well! I thought the Sloan questions were hard. Took me a while to understand the first question...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
There are a bunch of LGO Student blogs here (see left panel menu).

https://lgo-blog.mit.edu/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone knows when will interview requests be sending out? Seems like last year was around 1/10.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I hope soon! I saw that my optional video essay was viewed a few times last week. Hopefully that's a good sign...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kmc123 wrote:
I hope soon! I saw that my optional video essay was viewed a few times last week. Hopefully that's a good sign...

you must added a view counter to a web file! slick :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! It looks like they've been sending out invites the second week of Jan in the past few years. Hopefully that means we'll hear soon...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone, do you know if invites to international applicants are sent together with all others?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts