Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree that rounding up is a bad idea in this context. It might be more comforting for you to apply with a 3.0 rather than a 2.96 but it will probably make little difference to the admissions officers.

Regardless of your intentions, rounding up risks alienating admissions staff who might view this as ethically questionable behavior. I see little benefit and completely avoidable risk.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I have a related question.

My GPA is on a scale of 4.3 (my ugrad university had A+s). When I convert my GPA to a scale of 4.0 by changing all A+s to As, it works out to a 3.96.

Some applications only leave one decimal point... but I'm hesitant to round up to a 4.0, because that implies a perfect score, which I didn't have. Then again, with the A+s, my GPA was well over 4.0.

I know a few decimal points won't make much of a difference, but I don't want to mis-represent anything. Obviously where I have the space I'll give my actual GPA on a scale of 4.3... but where asked for it on a 4.0 scale and with only one decimal place, should I round up to 4.0 or down to 3.9?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's a reasonable question with a subtle difference. Is your official GPA on the transcript greater than 4.0?

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes it is, but that's on a scale of 4.3.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Please, I wish I had that problem.. Just list your 3.9 and be happy :lol: They'll see your transcript anyway.. Imagine if this thread was titled Should I list 3.96 as a 4.0? People would laugh! because it doesn't make any difference..

Hjort, play Devil's advocate with me and tell me why so many people leave Columbia off their list of schools to apply to?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
coffeelover,

As a general rule, I would not make any conversions of GPA unless explicitly told to do so by the MBA program. If you have any doubts, contact the MBA program and ask (MBAorBUST has a point- they might start laughing but on the plus side you can brighten the day of the admissions staff with your question).

MBAorBUST- Great question regarding why people do not include Columbia. I plan to address it on the Columbia thread.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]