Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619239 [17]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619239 [17]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619239 [1]
Send PM
Re: M05-18 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
happyface101 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

To build a rectangular chicken pen, Mike has 40 meters of netting. If Mike wants to maximize the area of the pen, what will be the most favorable dimensions?

A. 12 x 8
B. 15 x 8
C. 10 x 10
D. 15 x 15
E. 15 x 5

Approach 1:

Say the length and the width of the rectangle are \(x\) and \(y\).

Given: \(\text{Perimeter}=2x+2y=40\). Reduce by 2: \(x+y=20\). We have to maximize the area, so maximize the value of \(xy\).

Useful property: for given sum of two numbers, their product is maximized when they are equal. Hence, the value of \(xy\) will be maximized for \(x=y=10\).

Approach 2:

This question can be easily solved if one knows the following property: a square has a larger area than any other quadrilateral with the same perimeter.

So, in order to maximize the area our rectangle must be a square: \(\text{Perimeter}=4x=40\). Therefore \(x=10\).

Answer: C

Isn't this problem flawed? The prompt specifically asks for a RECTANGULAR pen, so I excluded C and D b/c they are SQUARE pens??

Edit: OK, so Square is a special kind of Rectangle. Keeping this post as this is an important subtle point here for this problem.

Yes, every square is a rectangle but not vise-versa.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

it's may a stupid question, but how could you build a rectangle with the dimension 15x15 if you have only 40m netting ?

Thanks
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BoomHH wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

it's may a stupid question, but how could you build a rectangle with the dimension 15x15 if you have only 40m netting ?

Thanks

IMO, not a dumb question. Knowing why answers are wrong and what kind of wrong answers to expect helps in similar problems to avoid such answers on similar problems. :-)

My guess is that "15x15" is designed to hijack the person who, per Bunuel 's second explanation, correctly deploys "max area is square" but then, without actually thinking about the arithmetic, incorrectly decides that if a square is good, a bigger square is better.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
To build a rectangular chicken pen, Mike has 40 meters of netting. If Mike wants to maximize the area of the pen, what will be the most favorable dimensions?

A. 12 x 8
B. 15 x 8
C. 10 x 10
D. 15 x 15
E. 15 x 5

Either you know for a fact that area of a rectangle is maximum when it is a square which brings you to each side as 10. Area=100.
Or
You can check options. Hopefully, you boil down to C and D.
In case of C: 15*15 means other two sides are 5*5. Area=length*breadth=15*5=75.
In case of D: 10*10 means other two sides are 10*10. Area=length*breadth=10*10=100.

Thank you!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheNightKing wrote:
Either you know for a fact that area of a rectangle is maximum when it is a square which brings you to each side as 10. Area=100.
Or
You can check options. Hopefully, you boil down to C and D.
In case of C: 15*15 means other two sides are 5*5. Area=length*breadth=15*5=75.
In case of D: 10*10 means other two sides are 10*10. Area=length*breadth=10*10=100.

TheNightKing - I am not sure I agree with the statement, "Hopefully, you boil down to C and D." I understand the logic behind thinking that the other sides would be 5 and 5, but a 15 x 15 area indicates a square already, one with an area of 225. That is, you cannot remove one number or the other from the area and replace it with a reasonable alternative. What you have outlined is a 15 x 5, the same as choice (E), which is not the same thing as the 15 x 15 of choice (D). Answers (B) and (D) fail because such dimensions would not provide a suitable perimeter for the amount of netting Mike has at his disposal: choice (B) would give 2(15 + 8), or 46 meters, and choice (D) would yield 2(15 + 15), or 60 meters. Thus, only choices (A), (C), and (E) represent valid areas within the given information. At that point, it should not take long to figure out that (C) will be the answer, 100 compared to 96 (choice (A)) or 75 (choice (E)), with or without an understanding that squares maximize the area of rectangular polygons. (It would really maximize the area if Mike were building a circular enclosure, but that would be a different question altogether.)

I am not writing my response as a stern lecture, but I want any readers who come across your analysis to understand an important distinction. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Send PM
TheNightKing - I am not sure I agree with the statement, "Hopefully, you boil down to C and D." I understand the logic behind thinking that the other sides would be 5 and 5, but a 15 x 15 area indicates a square already, one with an area of 225. That is, you cannot remove one number or the other from the area and replace it with a reasonable alternative. What you have outlined is a 15 x 5, the same as choice (E), which is not the same thing as the 15 x 15 of choice (D). Answers (B) and (D) fail because such dimensions would not provide a suitable perimeter for the amount of netting Mike has at his disposal: choice (B) would give 2(15 + 8), or 46 meters, and choice (D) would yield 2(15 + 15), or 60 meters. Thus, only choices (A), (C), and (E) represent valid areas within the given information. At that point, it should not take long to figure out that (C) will be the answer, 100 compared to 96 (choice (A)) or 75 (choice (E)), with or without an understanding that squares maximize the area of rectangular polygons. (It would really maximize the area if Mike were building a circular enclosure, but that would be a different question altogether.)

I am not writing my response as a stern lecture, but I want any readers who come across your analysis to understand an important distinction. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

- Andrew[/quote]

Hi Andrew, Thanks for your response.
But I am confused.
but a 15 x 15 area indicates a square already, one with an area of 225. How? Then the perimeter becomes 2(15+15)=60. And that is not right.
Also I do understand that option D and E are same as per my logic and that is not the case but then what does 15*15 represent and what will be the other 2 sides.

From the point of view of the answer to the question, I have no issues since I know the logic of square having the maximum area but I guess I just confused myself.

Please help!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Expert Reply
TheNightKing wrote:
But I am confused.
but a 15 x 15 area indicates a square already, one with an area of 225. How? Then the perimeter becomes 2(15+15)=60. And that is not right.
Also I do understand that option D and E are same as per my logic and that is not the case but then what does 15*15 represent and what will be the other 2 sides.

From the point of view of the answer to the question, I have no issues since I know the logic of square having the maximum area but I guess I just confused myself.

Please help!

TheNightKing - Per the part in blue, yes, that is not right. A perimeter of 60 would be problematic indeed, since Mike has only 40m of netting. To help with the second part, a 15 x 15 rectangle indicates a length of 15 and a width of 15, and since the length and width will not change from one parallel side of a rectangle to the other, there is no "extra" 5 and 5 to consider. I drew out a couple figures on Google Docs, which I am uploading here as a PDF, to illustrate what I mean. The first figure could correctly be called a 15 x 15, the second a 15 x 5. The third is a sketch, really, in which two segments that are each 15m in length are joined in some manner that is different from the second figure. But this begs the question, how could two 5m segments be joined to the figure in any meaningful way to produce a four-sided polygon that could be called a rectangle? That is the point I was hoping to make.

I like to say that as long as you get the correct answer (without cheating), how you got there does not matter--the GMAT™ does not award bonus points for elegant solutions. On the other hand, when you want to guide others, I think your reasoning has to be airtight, or else your explanations can be misleading to those who might take them at face value.

Thanks for the response. I hope our dialogue will help others with their studies. I would be happy to extend it if my point is still unclear.

- Andrew
Attachments

Geometry Question.pdf [26.24 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MentorTutoring wrote:
TheNightKing wrote:
But I am confused.

Please help!

TheNightKing - Per the part in blue, yes, that is not right. A perimeter of 60 would be problematic indeed, since Mike has only 40m of netting. To help with the second part, a 15 x 15 rectangle indicates a length of 15 and a width of 15, and since the length and width will not change from one parallel side of a rectangle to the other, there is no "extra" 5 and 5 to consider. I drew out a couple figures on Google Docs, which I am uploading here as a PDF, to illustrate what I mean. The first figure could correctly be called a 15 x 15, the second a 15 x 5. The third is a sketch, really, in which two segments that are each 15m in length are joined in some manner that is different from the second figure. But this begs the question, how could two 5m segments be joined to the figure in any meaningful way to produce a four-sided polygon that could be called a rectangle? That is the point I was hoping to make.

I like to say that as long as you get the correct answer (without cheating), how you got there does not matter--the GMAT™ does not award bonus points for elegant solutions. On the other hand, when you want to guide others, I think your reasoning has to be airtight, or else your explanations can be misleading to those who might take them at face value.

Thanks for the response. I hope our dialogue will help others with their studies. I would be happy to extend it if my point is still unclear.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew, You made it absolutely clear. No further questions my lord, I rest my case :)
Keeping that aside, I was considering 15*15 as two parallel sides and was concluding figure 2 as resultant rectangle. But since 15*15 represents length*breadth then it is crystal clear what is happening here.

Thank you for taking your time out and explaining this at length.
Have a great day!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheNightKing wrote:

Hi Andrew, You made it absolutely clear. No further questions my lord, I rest my case :)
Keeping that aside, I was considering 15*15 as two parallel sides and was concluding figure 2 as resultant rectangle. But since 15*15 represents length*breadth then it is crystal clear what is happening here.

Thank you for taking your time out and explaining this at length.
Have a great day!

TheNightKing - Yes, I suspected it might be a simple misinterpretation, but it is easy to do, and I am sure you are not alone in thinking of the problem in such a way. To turn the tables, I was once reading when I came across the word "underfed." I could not wrap my head around its meaning in the context because I was seeing it as an adjective based on the nonsensical verb "to derf." By the time I tracked down where the word would appear in the dictionary, my error had dawned on me. Sometimes it is hard to see something so obvious when your mind perceives the information in a certain way. And, getting back to the GMAT™, this is a test that will really punish you for reasoning that is even slightly off-center. I am glad my explanation sufficed, in this case.

Thank you, and, as you said in a manner of speaking, cheers.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM