Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M18 Q4

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 11:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:38) correct 37% (00:56) wrong based on 133 sessions
If in triangle ABC angle ABC is the largest and point D lies on segment AC, is the area of triangle ABD larger than that of triangle DBC?

1. AD \lt DC
2. AB \lt BC

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Source: GMAT Club Tests - hardest GMAT questions

Could not understand GMAT club explanation, please elaborate.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Never give up,,,

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
CIO
CIO
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 630 [3] , given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
It becomes easier if you draw a sketch for problems like this one.

I'm attaching a sketch that I draw. So, we have two triangles ABD and CBD. BE is the height of both these smaller triangles as well as of the bigger triangle ABC.

We know that a formula for finding the area of a triangle is \frac{1}{2}*base*height. In our case the height is the same for both triangles (BE on the image below). So we need to know which of the bases is longer in order to tell which triangle has the greater area.

S1 explicitly states that AD<DC. This is sufficient to know that the area of triangle ABD is smaller than that of triangle CBD. Since the height is the same, the longer base gives us the greater area.

S2 is not sufficient because the lengths of AB and BC don't influence the area in this case. Imagine point D sliding to the right closer to the point C - this will increase the area of triangle ABD and decrease the area of triangle CBD. Notice that if we shift point D this way, the lengths of AB and BC don't change. Therefore, we don't really care about these values (AB and BC).

I hope it helped :).

Attachments

m18-04.PNG
m18-04.PNG [ 4.77 KiB | Viewed 6038 times ]

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 06:30
dzyubam wrote:

consider, BC is base and angle ABC is obtuse. Because, we can't be sure exactly how the figure looks like, we should take all possibilities in to consideration and I am guessing, both statements can help assert the required condition.\

My answer to the question is D.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 08:36
Great explanation, thank you

Never give up,,,

CIO
CIO
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 630 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 00:17
Angle ABC is obtuse in the image I attached above. S2 can't be sufficient, see explanation:
Quote:
S2 is not sufficient because the lengths of AB and BC don't influence the area in this case. Imagine point D sliding to the right closer to the point C - this will increase the area of triangle ABD and decrease the area of triangle CBD. Notice that if we shift point D this way, the lengths of AB and BC don't change. Therefore, we don't really care about these values (AB and BC).

BC can't be the base as it's clearly stated in the question stem that point D lies on AC and we are dealing with triangles ABD and DBC. Can you draw a sketch to demonstrate how BC would be the base under the conditions given in the stem? I hope I'm not missing anything big here :).
BarneyStinson wrote:
dzyubam wrote:

consider, BC is base and angle ABC is obtuse. Because, we can't be sure exactly how the figure looks like, we should take all possibilities in to consideration and I am guessing, both statements can help assert the required condition.\

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 04:45
I sketched the diagram of the triangle and was able to arrive at a solution using the first statement, but the second statement alone is insufficient to arrive at an answer no matter how you draw it. I'm guessing the answer is A.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
Stmt1: If the AD = DC then both the triangle are equal and as shown in the picture both share the ame altitude and area is determined by which base is larger among the two. - Sufficient.

Stmt2: if AB < BC : the deciding factor still will be the proximity of D to A. If it is farther away from A, triangle ABD is greater.. Since no information about D is given - not Sufficient

Answer is A
Manager
Manager
Schools: Queen's E-MBA

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 22:57
BarneyStinson wrote:
dzyubam wrote:

You have a good point but even with angle ABC obtuse, the area of triangles ABD and BDC cannot be compared if we do not get any info on D's location. S1 clarifies the location and compares the length of the bases of these triangles, so only answer is A!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Arizona State University

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 22:21
We need to figure out if Triangle ABD > Triangle DBC??

Based on s1 we know that base of Triangle DBC (i.e. DC) > base of Triangle ABD (i.e. AD).
Now Area of triangle DBC is 1/2*BD*DC----(1)
and Area of triangle ABD is 1/2*BD*AD-----(2)
As in both equations DC and AD are the only variables and based on s1 DC > AD therefore triangle ABD is NOT GREATER than triangle DBC.
Hence S1 is SUFFICIENT.

Based on s2 AB < BC. This makes no difference in the formula of the area of both the triangles (i.e. triangle ABD and triangle DBC). Therefore S2 is NOT SUFFICIENT
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 23:33
I solved by median approach- if d was mid point of side ac then the position of D decides whether smaller triangles are equal in area or unequal. There is an official guide 12- DS-109 is based on similar lines.

I had a small question if anyone can answer- regarding the OA here - for any triangle abc, which has d as the point on BC, will the height of all 3 triangles be equal ?? {2 smaller and 1 larger triangle}

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 06:33
My answer is D
Statement 1: DC>AD since area of a triangle is 1/2*base*ht. Since both the traingles have the same height. So the triangle which has the larger base will have the largest area.
Statement 2: A continuation of what is stated in the stimulus. Does provide any info for the area of triangle.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22238 [1] , given: 2602

Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If in triangle ABC angle ABC is the largest and point D lies on segment AC, is the area of triangle ABD larger than that of triangle DBC?

(1) AD<DC
(2) AB<BC

Consider the diagram below:
Attachment:
m18-04.PNG
m18-04.PNG [ 4.77 KiB | Viewed 3110 times ]
Notice that BE is the height of the triangle ABC. Now, the area of triangle ABD is \frac{1}{2}*height*base=\frac{1}{2}*BE*AD and the area of triangle DBC is \frac{1}{2}*height*base=\frac{1}{2}*BE*DC. So, we can see that the area of triangle ABD will be greater than the area of triangle DBC if AD is greater than DC.

(1) AD<DC. Sufficient.
(2) AB<BC. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 5

Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

(1) AD<DC
(2) AB<BC

Attachment:
m18-04.PNG
Notice that BE is the height of the triangle ABC. Now, the area of triangle ABD is \frac{1}{2}*height*base=\frac{1}{2}*BE*AD and the area of triangle DBC is \frac{1}{2}*height*base=\frac{1}{2}*BE*DC. So, we can see that the area of triangle ABD will be greater than the area of triangle DBC if AD is greater than DC.

(1) AD<DC. Sufficient.

Thanks Bunuel, everyone, very helpful.

One question, however, can you discuss the logic in creating line BE?
Unfortunately, I don't "see the light", not fully-understanding, why we need to add an extra line there?
Is it because we can't assume that BD is the height (and stemming from not completely grasping the principles of a triangle)?

Thanks in advance for your insight

:shocked

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22238 [0], given: 2602

Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 23:56
Expert's post
mejia401 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) AD<DC
(2) AB<BC

Attachment:
m18-04.PNG

(1) AD<DC. Sufficient.

Thanks Bunuel, everyone, very helpful.

One question, however, can you discuss the logic in creating line BE?
Unfortunately, I don't "see the light", not fully-understanding, why we need to add an extra line there?
Is it because we can't assume that BD is the height (and stemming from not completely grasping the principles of a triangle)?

Thanks in advance for your insight

:shocked

Yes, we cannot assume that BD is the height.

We are asked to compare the areas of the two triangles and for that we need the height.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: M18 Q4 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 07:50
Using the formula of triangle area (=base*height/2) -> only 1) is sufficient

Anyone understands why we need "ABC is the largest"?
Re: M18 Q4   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2014, 07:50