Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Manhattan GMAT vs Kaplan [#permalink]
@GMATLA: Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. How was your class taught? For example, when I took some courses with Princeton, the instructor would start the class w/ questions/answers about the HW and then would have us each go through the problems in class. While working through the questions, he would also give us strategies on how to answer the questions.

@BB: In person, Santa Monica, West LA, Marina del Rey, Venice, or Culver City areas.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
chrisstopher wrote:
@GMATLA: Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. How was your class taught? For example, when I took some courses with Princeton, the instructor would start the class w/ questions/answers about the HW and then would have us each go through the problems in class. While working through the questions, he would also give us strategies on how to answer the questions.

@BB: In person, Santa Monica, West LA, Marina del Rey, Venice, or Culver City areas.

Thanks, let me research on this.
Also, you may want to check out reviews meanwhile here: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/?fl=menu
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
BB, thanks for pinging me about this thread!

Kaplan class sizes run from about 5 students to a cap of 20-25. Most classes here on the East coast are in the 8-10 student range. I expect that the closer to the center of a major city like LA, the larger your classes would be, but I would be surprised if your class was close to the cap regardless (since the main GMAT-prep season in August-December).

If you register for a class, you can email or call our customer care center a week in advance to find the registration. If the class is feeling a little to large (or too small!) for your taste, we generally run many classes in different locations and days of the week; we'll probably be able to transfer you to one that might be a better fit.

I hope this helps, and PM me with any other questions you may have!

Eli
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Quote:

If you showed up early, he would go over any questions you had. We also covered many practice problems in class to help drive in concepts that we learned as well as learn more challenging math concepts. The questions ranged from super easy to super hard. And there are specifically questions marked as "advanced" in every section.

Since the GMAT has SOO much material to cover, I found it most beneficial to use the class as a way to guide my studying and reinforce my studying. They have pre and post class homework that will help nail down concepts and slowly build you up. I think Kaplan might let you sit in on the first class for free if you sign up (and back out if you'd like), but I think you'd really like it. Many of my classes with Kaplan even went long 30-60 min, so sometimes I felt like I was getting extra teaching which helped a lot with the "value". Take every tip you possibly can, and never think you are bigger than the test or the teacher.

Just make sure that you really put in a lot of time outside of class b/c GMAT concepts are not learned over night. It took me 3 - 4 times of seeing each concept before I really had it "mastered". I guess I probably studied for 150-200 hours, so that's like 1.5 hours of studying for every POINT increase I made from my first day diagnostic (hadn't cracked a book). So it just shows that it takes a LONG time to make improvements.

PS this was all done over a 9 week period. I'm no genious, just a hard worker
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hey chrisstopher,

Glad to hear you're considering Manhattan GMAT.

Class size
Our Santa Monica courses are currently capped at 22 although chances are that your class will have about 15 students.

Tests & tracking tools
We offer six of our own full-length practice GMAT exams which have been created to mimic the exact form of a real GMAT. As far as tracking your progress throughout the course, our practice exams feature personalized assessment reports to help you analyze your performance and we also offer a robust tool to track your progress on Official Guide questions called OG Archer. Our students love the OG Archer because it allows them to quickly pinpoint weaknesses and see improvement over time using graphs. You can try out both the practice test and the OG Archer on our website for free.
Practice GMAT: https://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm
OG Archer: https://www.manhattangmat.com/ogc-plus.cfm

Beginner vs. advanced approach
Our whole approach at Manhattan GMAT is built around content mastery, meaning that we'll teach you the fundamental math and verbal skills a lot of people haven't studied since high school and then continue building until you have the content skills necessary to approach every GMAT question type with confidence. We offer everything from beginner books and workshops (Foundations of GMAT Math and Foundations of GMAT Verbal) to even the most advanced content (Advanced GMAT Quant book and Quest for 750 workshops). If you're interested, we offer a free basic math diagnostic on our website. All you need to do is create an account.

Instructor personality & office hours
We really believe that excellent instruction is the key to student success. We like to say that you'll love every single one of our instructors and that's because we've set up the most rigorous hiring process in the industry to ensure that our students get the best.

All of our instructors must:

Have a 99th percentile overall on the official GMAT
At least two years of prior teaching experience
Undergo several rounds of in-person and online interviews and auditions
Get 100+ hours of training

We attract the best talent because we pay the best--$100/hr. That's up to four times more than the industry standard.

I encourage you to keep asking around and reading reviews. Attend some trial classes too to find the best fit for you. You can find upcoming free Manhattan GMAT trial classes in Orange County and Santa Monica here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep- ... ngeles.cfm

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Online Marketing Associate
Manhattan GMAT
GMAT Club Bot