Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: maverick2011's Profile and School Selection [#permalink]
Kudos
I would keep Kellogg for a few reasons. 1) during the downturn in banking competition at traditional finance schools will be much fiercer. I would bet money far more people coming from bulge bracket banks go to Columbia than Kellogg. So as a career switcher all the banks will be recruiting there but some might be career switchers might decide against attempting IB and will go with MC or some other roll in GM or Marketing. 2) Kellogg is putting a lot into their energy stuff lately. Talking with some other folks it seems to be a growing interest at the school, more companies are recruiting for it or talking to students about jobs. I must say that as a person targeting energy after finishing school, Kellogg was the school that impressed me the most for that field.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Kudos
riverripper wrote:
I would keep Kellogg for a few reasons. 1) during the downturn in banking competition at traditional finance schools will be much fiercer. I would bet money far more people coming from bulge bracket banks go to Columbia than Kellogg. So as a career switcher all the banks will be recruiting there but some might be career switchers might decide against attempting IB and will go with MC or some other roll in GM or Marketing. 2) Kellogg is putting a lot into their energy stuff lately. Talking with some other folks it seems to be a growing interest at the school, more companies are recruiting for it or talking to students about jobs. I must say that as a person targeting energy after finishing school, Kellogg was the school that impressed me the most for that field.

Yeah but on the flip side when banks start cutting back from recruiting they cut way less from their core schools like Columbia than they do from less core schools like Kellogg. I say less core because Kellogg is still a core school and all the big banks recruit there, but when they start making cutbacks they're going to cut offers from Kellogg before they cut from Columbia, IMO. These banks do not want to hurt their relationships with the big finance schools like Columbia, Chicago and Wharton because they are such heavy feeders into the big banks associate programs.

Maverick -

Kellogg is a great school so I'm not going to reccomend cutting it. But I do think that Columbia ED is a great option for your career goals and you should give that option serious consideration. Have you visited the campus? You'll want to be confident you really like the place before putting in an ED app.

Duke, Darden, Cornell and UCLA are all great options for target/safety schools and they all have similar rank/reputation. I would just pick the 2 that are the best fit for you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I really like your choice of schools for your goals. It is a good mix from an admissions perspective and culture perspective and will allow you to feel out things a bit through the process (we are all more informed at the end than the beginning and am a big proponent of diversity in the schools applied to).

As for your story and application - engineering to banking to industry is a lot of big switches - you are going to want to take great care in crafting how it all fits together (I think the banking to industry jump will be toughest to merge consistently into your app, as you already need to spend time on going from enigineering to banking via MBA). The question of "why banking" vs. Energy compsny corp finance, or energy consulting, etc. Comes to mind. Easier to explain in an hour interview than in 200-500 words.

My advice is to use energy as the unifying theme. It will be more compelling given passion for the industry. When mentioning ibanking/finance, be very specific why that job (and the MBA in giving you specific skills) will help you to achieve your goal in the energy industry.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Thanks all for the opinions and insights...definitely some food for thought! I'll try to keep everyone updated as I make my final decisions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I tend to believe you should play your strongest hand. And honestly Mav, saying you will be returning to the energy industry would be the most convincing career move. Energy is a rapidly growing area, they are increasing MBA hiring and they really like prior work experience in some areas. There are few applicants coming out of it, so saying you want to return even if you dont definitely will improve your odds. Not doing a total career switch is always more convincing, especially in the current economic situation where IB is taking a huge hit. One important factor for schools is employability when you graduate...they want happy grads so they want you to reach your career goals. The more "realistic" your goals the easier it is to get in.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
for your short term goals, Haas is probably not a top school for you (though I'm looking for IB people to talk to terp06, so if you're interested in Haas at all, I can try to get them to help you answer some questions). But long term in the power/energy/green business, you might want to consider Haas in R2 or a late R1 app (they're due November 4th for R1, one of the latest R1 deadlines).

Otherwise, I would drop Fuqua and Darden for UCLA (R1 as a "safety" and you may find out before Xmas, reducing lots of nervousness) and Columbia RD.

BTW, if you get into Columbia, you can always go for the Berkeley-Columbia exchange program and get some green energy focus that way. :)
GMAT Club Bot