Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you guys for honest replies. I really appreciate them.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
Just because you can convince yourself it is for your own good does not mean that it is an ethical decision. I can convince myself that it is for my own good to rob every single person weaker than myself as long as I don't get caught, but that is hardly ethical. Doesn't your top 30 school have an ethics requirement?

To get back to your original question, most schools specifically prohibit students who already have US MBAs from applying. You can check their websites and do your own research, but I definitely recall that all the top schools specifically ban applications from people who already hold MBAs. The only exception (as some others have suggested) are certain international MBA programs that are not at the same level (more equivalent to an undergrad business degree or something).

Anyhow, every single top school will ask you to provide details of every single year between getting your college degree and your application. You will have to lie on your application. Don't care what you think about it, it's a lie.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
I'm pretty sure none of the top 10 programs will admit someone who already has an MBA. I remember reading the FAQs on the Stanford and Haas webpages that says it. Not sure about UCLA and Kellogg, but I'm pretty sure none of the US schools in general will admit someone with an identical degree from another US school (this applies to MS in Sciences, Engineering, Finance, etc...). Sorry to dash your hopes.

One way is to drop out of your b-school right now (if you've only finished your first year) AFTER asking if the top 3-5 schools will accept you if you didn't complete your MBA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Kudos
If you absolutely believe that going back to school is the best option for you, I would recommend looking at an additional MA degree closely related to the field you are interested in. Enviornmental Studies, Public Policy, Urban Planning, Land Development, International Relations...I could go on and on. To be honest, my first thought was that if you just started working right after graduation, two years on you would probably be at the same position, if not higher than you would be coming from a higher ranked school with 2 yrs less WE. Especially if it's indeed top 30...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Michigan does accept prospective students with MBA's. I was doing research last night and came across it.

Q: I already have an MBA. Can I still apply to Ross' MBA Program?
A. We do accept applications from individuals who have an MBA. However, you must explain through your application why you feel you need another MBA degree.

https://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba ... plying.htm

Definitely worth a shot! Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Daler wrote:
rhyme wrote:
:)

Out of curiosity, can I ask what industry you are looking to break into?

i am thinking about mc.

You probably already know this.... but just to be sure: a top 5 isn't going to guarantee you an offer at McK/Bain/BCG. At the GSB, they EACH interviewed maybe 100 or so people and I'd venture that between the three there are maybe 50 or so interns. Do the math, its not that great of odds - maybe 20% on the high end. The thing about being in a top 5 that is that you are competing against, literally, 100 or more other people who are ALL smart, accomplished, etc.

Not trying to suggest you shouldn't consider a top 5, just saying you should keep your expectations realistic. For what its worth, if you are flexible on destination, I'm happy to pass your resume to the right people at some firms when the time comes.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Daler wrote:
Why was I so stupid not to find this kind of forums earlier?!
I've been browsing the forum for about an hour, and already got many answers to my questions. thank you all!

added to favorites.

Don't worry, everybody gets addicted to gmatclub, no need to favorites :lol:

I will insist in what I mentioned before: why don’t you also think about another degree? I have a couple of friends working for these big consulting guys who took other degrees rather than MBAs. Some people got Masters at LSE; I have a friend who just has an undergrad degree, he climbed so fast, that he decided not to attend an MBA.

I know that the MBA, and usually a Top one, is the natural path to Management Consulting, but I do know people who got there from different ways. They for sure are dots out of the curve, but in your situation, you need to be really savvy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
From what I have read, it will be nearly impossible to get accepted into an MBA program if you already have your MBA....especially an MBA from a US school. I know some Indian and international applicants apply to US b-schools when they have MBAs from their home countries, and even they find it nearly impossible to get into top US b-schools.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yes, I heard that too. but i am still young enough to believe in miracles, or at least to be naive.

are there any particular schools who dislike second mba's?

and what about european schools?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Im not sure. Your best bet would be to contact the schools directly. They should be very honest with their feelings on getting a second MBA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I dont think its going to happen. If you got an MBA from some place in a foreign country, then it might be a possibility at some schools. However, already having an MBA from a US program pretty much will probably eliminate your ability to be admitted. I would say contact schools to see what they say but it doesnt seem promising.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Agreed with river. Why would a top program give up a spot to somebody who already has an MBA, rather that give it to somebody who doesn't have one?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dox wrote:
Daler wrote:
yes, I heard that too. but i am still young enough to believe in miracles, or at least to be naive.

are there any particular schools who dislike second mba's?

and what about european schools?

You could take the ethically dubious route of not telling the school about your existing MBA (explaining that two year gap in work experience would be difficult) or not completing your current MBA, but those sorts of drastic steps would be counter-productive IMO. If you have what it takes to get in to the top 3-5 MBA programs, I doubt that you need one of those programs to get wherever it is that you wish to be given that you already have an MBA. You would be better served spending the two years gaining valuable work experience towards your long-term goal.

I personally don't consider not telling a school about mba an ethical issue. it is my choice to spend 2 more years in school, paying the tuition, etc...don't see any harm to school or students. On the other hand, I would not want to start my career from a lie. But I am almost sure I can convince myself that it is for my own good. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
the natural step should be the DBA
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Why don't you go for an MS? There are shorter programs (1 year) that would open you many doors...

I don't think that the MBA thing will work out - sorry to be that straightforward. I think you need a second plan. What kind of industry do you want?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I believe Michigan (Ross) is a Top School (not 3-5, but Top 10-15) that are accepting of 2nd MBAs. Not positive about this though.

I agree with above, your best bet is a DBA.

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
No, maybe PhD.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2