Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: GM
Schools:Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Send PM
Re: MBA Apply vs HBSGuru [#permalink]
Would you guys only use a consultant if you're applying for a top 5 school?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Jeffelite wrote:
Would you guys only use a consultant if you're applying for a top 5 school?

Many consultants specialize in top 10 and I know MBA Exchange and many other firms also helped people at lower ranked schools. Generally it depends what your own goals are and where you see yourself needing help. Some people choose to get a consultant for their most competitive choice and apply on their own for the rest, which is why the consultants specialized in the top 10 get more attention.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
My target school is not in the top 10, I'm aiming for Berkeley Haas, and I'm looking for help on essay editing. Which one would be the best to provide me this service? Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
gotomba wrote:
My target school is not in the top 10, I'm aiming for Berkeley Haas, and I'm looking for help on essay editing. Which one would be the best to provide me this service? Thanks!

Hass is among top 10.Your essay themes would be same for all the top 20 schools.That's why,some of these firms charge more for the first school.IMO,it doesn't matter whether you are applying to top 5 or top 20, if need help with essay editing,get it irrespective of the school.

I think all the editing services mentioned above have something good to talk about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Stern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
I've never used one of these services, but in my experience Alex is a really sharp guy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
If you need just grammar/essay-cleanup help, I think other services like Edit Avenue might be helpful too. I haven't used any of them, but heard good things last year. I'd do a forum search for more details on essay services.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
3. MBA Exchange - heavy duty business with many former admissions staff from the top schools. However their standard service is 4 schools with a price to match. They brag with 90+ success rate but it applies getting accepted to at least one school from the list with which you apply with them so if you have the cash and need to be accepted somewhere this year, they may be a good choice.

So how much do they cost? They sound promising but their website doesn't give their price which makes me nervous :shock:

MBAgirl2010 wrote:
I say pick based on what you need and the schools you target and talk with as many of these guys as you can. Most offer 10-30 minutes of advice for free.

I had an idea to schedule free consultations with as many consultants as possible, maybe it will lead to me going with paid services from one of them but otherwise I can scrimp and save for some free advice :twisted:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
One thing I would like to add for anyone looking to use the consulting service for bschool admissions - is that YOU (the applicant) already have all the traits to get into these top schools. These consulting services don't work some kind of wonderful magic and transform you into someone else.

They will, however, help you find the strengths that you already possess (if you have not identified them already) and advise how you can tailor yourself to your target schools.

But let's not get your hopes up. I've met some members from last year who paid a lot of money to consulting services and the results he or she got in the end was not what he or she was expecting. And this happens a lot.

So hire consultants, not with expectation that they would guarantee your admission somewhere, but with expectation that they will just increase your chances of admissions. But the outcome will vary depending on who the applicant is. If your actual chance of admission to a school X is 5% and the consulting firm increases your chances to 8%, that is still a low percentage.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
nink wrote:
But let's not get your hopes up. I've met some members from last year who paid a lot of money to consulting services and the results he or she got in the end was not what he or she was expecting. And this happens a lot.

Would you be able to mention some of these scenarios without mentioning names?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Here is my guide to finding out if you need a consultant.

1. You have shared your profile here and get input that you might stand a chance at a given school of your choice.
2.Then talked with at least 2 alumnae of the school, found out they think you might stand a chance and at least one offers to help you in some way (that confirms they think you can get in)
3. You have read Montauk and have some idea of your strengths/weaknesses.
4. You have talked with at least 3 consultants asked them about your profile, strengths, weaknesses, chances at the school you chose and at a school you know you are not a good fit (test their frankness), their expertise, one way in which they would address a weakness of yours and price.

If one the consultants has told you something that goes beyond what you learned in steps 1-3 that would also be worth the price you might be on the right track.

Consultants may also be good if you are international and have few sources of info on applications or us education besides this forum. If you have a strong set of stories but need a better way to tell them, use a writing coach instead.

Keep in mind, adcom will not appreciate you using a paid consultant and many alumnae would be willing to give you advice for free. Tap into those as a better alternative. Also, be very careful when getting advice from others to not loose your own voice in your writings. Adcoms are very good at sensing funky stuff in essays, they may actually ask in interviews if you have received professional help.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot