Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
WE:Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
kasonhills wrote:
How did everyone like preview weekend? I loved it. Austin blew me away and I think I'm really going to enjoy my time there. All of the students (both prospective and current) that I met were really cool too. Hope everyone who was on the fence commits, it's going to be an awesome two years.

I had a great time! And now I've got a list of about 50 clubs and organizations and programs I want to do that I have to start winnowing down.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Brookstone wrote:
Any R3 admits hear about scholarship info? I didn't go to preview weekend, so was anything brought up about this?

interested in this as well. i was told id hear back soon as well. the ut financial aid page still says check back in 2 weeks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
old1442 wrote:
Brookstone wrote:
Any R3 admits hear about scholarship info? I didn't go to preview weekend, so was anything brought up about this?

interested in this as well. i was told id hear back soon as well. the ut financial aid page still says check back in 2 weeks

At preview weekend they said that financial aid awards wouldn't be out until May because they were held up by the Board of Regents and state legislature finalizing tuition rates.

That said, my award notification (for loans) came through this evening. My GIAC status has said check back in 2 weeks for 2 months now but tonight was updated with a link to CASH (Check Aid Status Here) on UT Direct.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Gorgasali wrote:
old1442 wrote:
Brookstone wrote:

At preview weekend they said that financial aid awards wouldn't be out until May because they were held up by the Board of Regents and state legislature finalizing tuition rates.

That said, my award notification (for loans) came through this evening. My GIAC status has said check back in 2 weeks for 2 months now but tonight was updated with a link to CASH (Check Aid Status Here) on UT Direct.

And by the way, I was a R2 admit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Gorgasali wrote:
old1442 wrote:
Brookstone wrote:

thats rough - for r3 and r2 applicants who havent heard about $- their deposit deadline is april 18th. im gna ask if they'll be extending this in light of the delay in scholarship announcements. maybe some gmat clubbers can put the pressure on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

[/quote]

thats rough - for r3 and r2 applicants who havent heard about $- their deposit deadline is april 18th. im gna ask if they'll be extending this in light of the delay in scholarship announcements. maybe some gmat clubbers can put the pressure on.[/quote

Got response: scholarship info available by end of the week for r3 applicants. Financial aid will take longer as will those who were not selected for scholarships but may be reconsidered.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Gorgasali wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
How did everyone like preview weekend? I loved it. Austin blew me away and I think I'm really going to enjoy my time there. All of the students (both prospective and current) that I met were really cool too. Hope everyone who was on the fence commits, it's going to be an awesome two years.

I had a great time! And now I've got a list of about 50 clubs and organizations and programs I want to do that I have to start winnowing down.

I really enjoyed it as well, really looking forward to living in Austin. It was good to meet Gorgasali. And actually everyone I met this weekend was great.

Anyone have thoughts on recommended housing? I have a significant other who will 90% likely be joining me in Austin, I think we're just going to get a 1BR place somewhere. Downtown was cool but expensive. In the housing panel the students suggested staying away from SoCo, but on FB a lot of students really like it, and it seems a bit more in my price range.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
old1442 wrote:

thats rough - for r3 and r2 applicants who havent heard about $- their deposit deadline is april 18th. im gna ask if they'll be extending this in light of the delay in scholarship announcements. maybe some gmat clubbers can put the pressure on.

Got response: scholarship info available by end of the week for r3 applicants. Financial aid will take longer as will those who were not selected for scholarships but may be reconsidered.

hey old1442 are you leaning one way or the other on your acceptances?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
Send PM
Kudos
rjdunn03 wrote:
Gorgasali wrote:
kasonhills wrote:

I really enjoyed it as well, really looking forward to living in Austin. It was good to meet Gorgasali. And actually everyone I met this weekend was great.

Anyone have thoughts on recommended housing? I have a significant other who will 90% likely be joining me in Austin, I think we're just going to get a 1BR place somewhere. Downtown was cool but expensive. In the housing panel the students suggested staying away from SoCo, but on FB a lot of students really like it, and it seems a bit more in my price range.

South Congress isn't a bad place to live, although its definitely a bit south of campus. A lot of great restaurants are popping up in this area, and in the South Lamar area as well. Cool bars and not as much congestion as the downtown area. Also easy access to Town Lake and Zilker Park which frequently hold great outdoor events.

Things start to get more and more shady if you go too far east of I-35, although the areas immediately next to the highway are starting to come around. Great prices can be found between MLK and Manor road immediately east of the highway and very close to campus. This is the area I'd be shooting for if I made it off of the wait list. Tons of UT transportation in this area if you don't feel like messing with parking on campus, which can really suck.

Downtown is definitely expensive and traffic can get really bad in that area, so I wouldn't recommend living downtown unless night life, bars, and restaurants are a huge plus for you. I only tend to go downtown on the weekends, so I found that it makes more sense to pay cheaper rent elsewhere, and just cab to and from downtown whenever I feel like it. When driving south on the highways during rush hour, the traffic really starts to get bad once you get south of MLK. So just keep in mind, every few exits south of MLK you live, a decent amount of time will be added to your commute.

If you feel like living further north, the Arboretum is probably the best area. Although, the farther you travel north, the less it will feel like Austin. Those who frequent Chili's, Panda Express, and Cicis pizza will really enjoy the fine dining of North Austin.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Hey now, don't diss Cici's.....

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Awesome post brendxn, thanks for the info
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
Awesome post brendxn, thanks for the info

No problem. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I did my undergrad at Texas and have lived in Austin about 7 years and am pretty familiar with the area. Looking forward to May and hoping to get off the wait list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Gorgasali wrote:
old1442 wrote:
Brookstone wrote:

Interesting. Mine hasn't updated. On another note... I was the one that asked that question during the Q&A session. Perhaps we met?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kschmidt1801 wrote:

Interesting. Mine hasn't updated. On another note... I was the one that asked that question during the Q&A session. Perhaps we met?

Thanks for asking the question. I hope I recalled the answer correctly. And perhaps we did meet. I was on the other side of the auditorium for that session but met a lot of people. If not, I'll see you in the fall (or summer, really).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
Guys what about State House on Congress apartments? Most people seem to enjoy it but Lisa Simon is ripping on it. For a 1BR its about 1300. The downtown 1BRs I'm seeing are all closer to 1600 a month.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
I know a couple students said they drive to campus but not sure how easy it is to do so
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
kasonhills wrote:
I know a couple students said they drive to campus but not sure how easy it is to do so

It's doable but most people end up parking at least a mile from the business school. Parking passes for the garages on campus are about $800 a year so very expensive. I find the buses to be easier
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts