Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: McCombs vs. Owen vs. Kenan-Flagler [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I wouldn't take too much stock in median salary. That statistic really only tells you two things: where people place geographically, and concentration in the different functions/industries. Nearly every offer now is a class offer and won't have much variation across MBA programs, but there may be a cost of living adjustment (COLA). For schools with huge median salaries, they're likely sending their graduates into I-banking, consulting, or private equity in markets like NY, LA, or San Fran. The firm matters a bit, but probably not as much as you think. The MBB consulting offers were +/- 5% of the offers from the big 4 (Deloitte, E&Y, PwC, KPMG), and in banking there isn't a big jump from Goldman to a Credit Suisse or Wells. And for brand, you'll have the least amount of variation as anything out there. All of the major CPGs offer a salary in a tight range, and you'll definitely know what that is when you step foot on campus. The only jobs where you really have to go to an elite program are PE and VC, and those come with a big payday. I will say, though, that we have the coolest post-MBA position in the entire business community--our classmate just got drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs!

Sorry, got a bit long-winded but here's the summary: schools with huge median salaries are sending a higher proportion of students to banking or consulting in major metro areas, which skews salaries higher.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Send PM
Ultimately, it comes down to fit (assuming you've visited each campus). Overall, I think that McCombs and Kenan-Flagler have a similar standard/ranking. I will say from experience that Kenan-Flagler offers a very solid marketing program that directly feeds to top companies in Washington DC, NY and Atlanta.

Also, most of the people who attend UNC love RTP. You've got the college town feel in Chapel Hill, a more gritty up-and-coming feel in Durham (think Austin, but smaller) and a more conventional city with Raleigh. I've loved my time in NC.

Best of luck with your decision!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Former Austinite here.

No regrets at Owen.

FWIW, I too am a career switcher heading into marketing. I have benefited greatly from Owen's small(er) size, access to faculty, and the absolutely stellar Career Management Center at Vanderbilt. Have you visited all three schools? I applied to 2/3 you mentioned and chose Vanderbilt hook-line-and-sinker after my visit. All have a lot of great things to offer, but I'll just put my $0.02 in for Vandy.

I landed my internship in the Bay Area. We have folks going all over the country. I think over the course of your career Vanderbilt will have the best reputation nationally (say, if you want to work on the East Coast, or move around). So that might be worth considering if you don't want to stay planted in Texas or North Carolina...

I want to put in a plug for Nashville too. I loved living in Austin. There is a lot of great stuff there. HOWEVER, Nashville is 10 degrees cooler, has less traffic, more trees, and pro-football. For me, it was a step up moving from ATX to Nashville. It is worth considering where you want to spend your two years of business school in addition where you want to be in the future. It's a bigger part of MBA students' lives than they realize sometimes.

All three options offer a lot of great things though. I have nothing bad to say about UNC or UT. Good luck on your decision!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your replies. I visited each school and both Texas and Vandy felt great. During the Texas welcome weekend I really liked the incoming class and felt like it was a great fit. Unfortunately I was not able to attend the Vandy weekend, but did a visit on my own. The students at Vandy were great and they have been nothing but helpful responding to emails and talking to me during my visit. I think fit is a split with a slight edge to Texas only because I actually met the incoming class. I have no doubt the incoming Vandy class will be just as strong and level-headed as the current students.

Owen is still very appealing. Not only for the views above by drivechipputt and teleste (though they do go a long way ;) ), but I really do think the Vanderbilt brand will go further on the East Coast where I would like to have as an option either after school or down the road. I am also sold on the CMC. Despite less on-campus recruiting I think the CMC will more than make up for it.

My one other reservation about Owen is the class size which I think lends itself to fewer extracurricular opportunities and clubs. Drivechipputt also mentioned perhaps the less diverse course offerings for marketing (again based on the class size). Can either of you comment on how the relatively smaller class size has benefited you and how you can see it being an advantage?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
McCombs vs. Owen vs. Kenan-Flagler [#permalink]
Kudos
InsideJob wrote:
My one other reservation about Owen is the class size which I think lends itself to fewer extracurricular opportunities and clubs. Drivechipputt also mentioned perhaps the less diverse course offerings for marketing (again based on the class size). Can either of you comment on how the relatively smaller class size has benefited you and how you can see it being an advantage?

First, I'd like to address the point about course offerings. It may be true that Texas is able to offer a larger number of different marketing classes (for example) than Vanderbilt due to its size. I couldn't tell you. However, at McCombs, you'll be on the semester system (if I'm not mistaken). You'll actually get to take far fewer classes than you will at Owen on a quarter system (though we call quarters "mods"). So you might have a larger selection to choose from, but you'll get to partake of fewer of those offerings.

You mentioned you're interested in marketing. If you go ahead with the Brand Management Specialization at Owen you'll still have enough time to fit in a second concentration (or emphasis, or array of "fun classes" you want to take) but your problem will more likely be you won't have the time to fit in everything you want...not that a lack of diverse course offerings keeps you from getting to cover the classes/subjects you want.

Here's a bit on the Brand Management Specialization:
https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/programs ... gement.cfm

On a related note to the quarter system, I thank heaven every single day that I was able to get through certain core classes in ~7 weeks and did not have to spend a whole semester trudging through the drudgery of heavy textbooks in subjects I was not nearly as interested in.

In terms of the small class size, it makes faculty very approachable. They know all the students by name (and their pre-MBA backgrounds in many cases) and have time to help them with academic pursuits and career advice. I found this to be very helpful at Owen. BTW--the faculty at Texas might also be approachable, IDK for sure, I just know it has been a noticeable benefit of the smaller class-size at Vandy and I imagine it is difficult to maintain the larger a school gets. I have also felt that it makes networking with other students and alumni feel very comfortable and natural. You get to know folks pretty well, you are not just another face in the crowd of "this year's class" dropping off a business card and hoping to make a meaningful connection. After a career trek I went on, I sent out a few thank you messages and people remembered exactly who I was. That was a moment I was glad I wasn't a cog in a huge program's wheel.

As a career switcher myself, I can imagine the advantages of bigger schools in terms of the on-campus recruiting presence. That said, I don't know that Texas' is all that much bigger than Vandy's (and if it is, probably not necessarily for companies from the Northeast where you want to be). You might have to be at a school the size of Ross (400+ students per year) to really start feeling a difference. There were far more events and info sessions at Owen this year that I was interested in than I was able to attend. It certainly wasn't a lack of options that I saw as a problem.

In terms of extracurricular activities and clubs, my problem has been I haven't had the time to do everything I want, not that I've felt a shortage of opportunities or wished Owen had more variety. From career treks run by the CMC at Owen to Wall Street, Texas, Atlanta, and Silicon Valley...to professional organizations like the Vanderbilt Marketing Association...to affiliation clubs like the Owen Texas Club and Cork and Barrel, I can't count the number of times I've had to unwillingly decline an Outlook calendar invite just because I was over-booked already. There's "more to do than can ever be done" as Sir Elton would say.

I can imagine if McCombs has something very specific that Owen does not have (a class, a club, a concentration, etc) this would be something to consider. If you don't have something specific in mind though, I don't think you should be overly concerned about the size difference.

By the by, it has been my experience that the vast majority of what you will get out of your MBA experience has to do with what you put into it...not what logo appears on the front of your school's sweatshirt. For example, just because a school has a large(r) alumni base does not mean you are bestowed with that network. It is on you to make connections and reach out to people. And whether you graduate from Harvard or Arizona State...you're going to graduate with the same degree after two years. What you actually learn during those two years is also on you. Again, it isn't based Commodore or Longhorn logo. So go where you think is the best fit, where you'll enjoy yourself the most, and where you think you'll be set-up to succeed the best. If that's ATX, then Hook'em. If not, then c'mon over and Anchor Down.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Teleste. That is really helpful and eases some of my concerns. I appreciate the thoroughness of your response. I will add on if anything else comes to me. Again, thanks all.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts