Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MFIN before MBA

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 04:32
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

Been a silent watcher of the forums in GMAT Club. Am an US MBA aspirant and my future career goal is Finance. This is not decision taken going by the reputation. i really love finance and amazed at the fact how world revolves around finance.

I do not have finance background and been working for 3 years with an US based IT consulting Giant.

Since i do not have a finance background am planning on doing an year course in MS Financing in US. This is just to get an insight on Financial world. Also planning on working after my graduation which would provide me a little funding for my MBA endeavor and also a niche of having relevant work ex before MBA.
Also i believe this differentiates me from the otherwise normal Indian/IT/Male profile

Is this a viable option to pursue MS finance before MBA, which am considering ..?

Can i do MBA after MSF.? (because have heard many saying some institute provide equivalent degree to MBA)

Is this a right career path to go along.?

if yes which institute would be good.? (considering Princeton, UC Berkeley)

Please provide a general insight on this planned career path. Expecting your valuable suggestions.. Thanks in advance
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 592
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 05:51
I would not pursue a MS in Finance pre-MBA simply as much of what you will cover in finance classes during your MBA studies will be covered in your MS Finance studies. Also, when you apply for your MBA degree you are going to have to present your career goals (either in the essay or in the interview) and if you continue on your finance career theme, the conclusion can easily be that you already have the education you need to successfully achieve your goals so there is no compelling need to award you a spot in a class. Also, there is the case of time, money and energy - all of which will increase due to the additional year of study (based on the schools you are targeting, this will be at least $60,000 if you are not sponsored or awarded scholarship or financial aid).

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
_________________

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 00:28
ManhattanReview wrote:
I would not pursue a MS in Finance pre-MBA simply as much of what you will cover in finance classes during your MBA studies will be covered in your MS Finance studies. Also, when you apply for your MBA degree you are going to have to present your career goals (either in the essay or in the interview) and if you continue on your finance career theme, the conclusion can easily be that you already have the education you need to successfully achieve your goals so there is no compelling need to award you a spot in a class. Also, there is the case of time, money and energy - all of which will increase due to the additional year of study (based on the schools you are targeting, this will be at least $60,000 if you are not sponsored or awarded scholarship or financial aid).

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review


Hi Kim

Really appreciate the reply. Yes i do understand your point. and my further research concluded your point. i do not have a financial under grad or any relevant work ex. So what activities are preferred to show the adcom that i had done some learning towards my career goal. i am very much serious about it and interested to learn some basics in finance. a CFA certification is any good.? please advice. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 03:04
naveenernesto wrote:
ManhattanReview wrote:
I would not pursue a MS in Finance pre-MBA simply as much of what you will cover in finance classes during your MBA studies will be covered in your MS Finance studies. Also, when you apply for your MBA degree you are going to have to present your career goals (either in the essay or in the interview) and if you continue on your finance career theme, the conclusion can easily be that you already have the education you need to successfully achieve your goals so there is no compelling need to award you a spot in a class. Also, there is the case of time, money and energy - all of which will increase due to the additional year of study (based on the schools you are targeting, this will be at least $60,000 if you are not sponsored or awarded scholarship or financial aid).

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review


Hi Kim

Really appreciate the reply. Yes i do understand your point. and my further research concluded your point. i do not have a financial under grad or any relevant work ex. So what activities are preferred to show the adcom that i had done some learning towards my career goal. i am very much serious about it and interested to learn some basics in finance. a CFA certification is any good.? please advice. Thank you.


Perhaps passing the CFA level 1 can help, since I heard that CFA level 1 curriculum is a condensed version of an undergrad in finance. It can shown to the adcom that you are commited to the field and already have some basic knowledge.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 268
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 12:13
Many people do an MSF and then an MBA. Your situation is a little different. The profile of MSF students are usually 0-2 years of experience and looking to break in to front office finance in an analyst role. Since you are already at 3 years of experience you are more of an MBA candidate at this point. The CFA might be a good route for you to go without disrupting your career.

Now, with that said, Princeton's MFin is a great substitute for an MBA if your goal is to work and stay in finance. It is very quantitative and more in depth than anything you will get in an MBA program. Also, you are really looking at MFE programs which are different than an MSF program. If you have an engineering background I think these programs would be a good fit. It would also play well with your IT background since MFE programs tend to incorporate programming and coding.

Hope this helps.
_________________

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 11:24
AnthonyD1982 wrote:
Many people do an MSF and then an MBA. Your situation is a little different. The profile of MSF students are usually 0-2 years of experience and looking to break in to front office finance in an analyst role. Since you are already at 3 years of experience you are more of an MBA candidate at this point. The CFA might be a good route for you to go without disrupting your career.

Now, with that said, Princeton's MFin is a great substitute for an MBA if your goal is to work and stay in finance. It is very quantitative and more in depth than anything you will get in an MBA program. Also, you are really looking at MFE programs which are different than an MSF program. If you have an engineering background I think these programs would be a good fit. It would also play well with your IT background since MFE programs tend to incorporate programming and coding.

Hope this helps.


Thanks for the reply Anthony. Still on the research. Would count your advice in. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 268
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 17:51
If I were you I would study for CFA L1 and look at a financial engineering program. You already have the software background and the education (I am assuming) which will make you eligible for MFE type programs. This will be a much easier path to get into finance and will play off your previous experience. If you wanted to say do investment banking then I would suggest prepping for your MBA application and trying to enter at an associate level.

Economy is tough right now, especially in the financial sector. If you require sponsorship that will only add to the difficulty.
_________________

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 170
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 14:45
Listen to Anthony. ManhattanReview has no clue what they are talking about.
_________________

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 268
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 22:09
LOL Thanks Commdiver. I wouldn't be that harsh, but the MSF is a really niche degree. Not many graduate admissions counselors have had experience with it since it doesn't have the investment that an MBA would have, nor the initial return.

I give advice as someone who not only knows as ton (and always learning some new things), but also as someone who has the degree and went through the process. I've also experienced the common story that most MSF hopefuls have (BO -> MO -> FO).


Either way, happy to help and hope my advice helps!
_________________

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 170
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

Re: MFIN before MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 04:31
Maybe that was harsh, but if a masters weakens your application for an MBA down the road, then engineering students would not make up the largest part of MBA classes (most do UG + 1-year MS engineering).
_________________

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: MFIN before MBA   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2013, 04:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
MBA vs MFIN at Rotman jimjohn 0 22 Apr 2014, 06:06
MBA vs MFin with 10 years leadership experience mbabound24 3 27 Oct 2013, 10:23
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA VERSUS M.FIN anirudh316 2 19 Oct 2011, 23:47
1 Career switching BEFORE an MBA wmcrockett 2 25 Feb 2010, 08:50
Is MBA Required before Phd?? vibhor 6 27 Mar 2006, 23:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MFIN before MBA

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.