Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Books Study Advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
A few recommendations:

1) DO NOT force yourself to work through all the material. 6 weeks is enough time to read all our quant books and do some problems, but it's possible to do all that without really achieving mastery or making significant changes to your approach. Emphasize quality over quantity! It's better to find a number of subjects that you actually feel good about than to simply expose yourself to every topic once.

2) If you don't need a really high quant score, most of what you need to know is in our Foundations of GMAT Math guide. Make that book your best friend! Read through the chapters as needed, but also work on at least a few drills from that book every day, even if you've already done them all. Achieving mastery on those basic skills is going to be crucial to your success.

3) If you have time, start working through the books. Follow up with Official Guide problems for each topic. (Our books come with online access to a problem list for the OG.) However, don't simply work through each book and leave it behind. Cycle back through repeatedly! For instance, if you start with Fractions, Decimals, & Percents and then move on to Algebra, make sure to return to FDPs later. You can flag some concepts/problems for review, and you can also hit some new problems from those earlier areas, but leave significant room in your schedule for these repeats. Again, you don't get any credit for finishing the curriculum. It's all about what you can actually do on test day.

4) Use test data to focus your studies. If you're using our CATs, they will be keyed to the topics from our books, so you can adjust your focus by pushing more on trouble areas. You may also find a few areas that are simply not worth the trouble. For instance, many people choose to ignore Combinatorics & Probability, especially if they're not aiming for a really high score.

5) Get used to choosing your battles. You will absolutely need to make guesses (educated or otherwise) on this test, so work on identifying when a problem is too hard. It's tempting to try to beat every problem, but that is not realistic at ANY level, unless perhaps you decide to shoot for a perfect score! :) Know when to give up and move on. Sometimes that will mean picking your favorite letter, and sometimes that will mean narrowing down the choices a bit and accepting that it's not worth your time to try to get down to one definitive answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thank you so much Dmitry, that was so helpful. I will definitely take time to master the concepts instead try to go through all the material. Do you also suggest review the verbal in the next 6 weeks and how often do you suggest? I bought the MGMAT verbal book set and my score shot up from 19 to 28. So I'm definitely feeling hopeful the MGMAT quant set will improve my measly 21 score from my last test.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Glad to help! And yes, you should keep practicing verbal on a regular basis. Typically, you should divide your time evenly between quant and verbal. If you're studying 2+ hours/day, you can do that within each session.
GMAT Club Bot