Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 13:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

MIT Question [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 02:07
I have a question regarding MIT's essays ->

For following two essays what exactly the MIT is looking for:

1) Please give an example when your thinking was different from others’ (up to 500 words).

2) Please give an example when you were part of a high or low performing team (up to 500 words).

Further, for both (1) and (2) I have two situations to talk about
For (1) I have two situations:
one in which my thinking was different and no one agreed to my suggestions and others were were right.
Second in which my thinking was different and everyone agreed and I was right.

For essay (2) again I have two situations:
One in which I was part of low performing team
Second in which I was a part of high performing team.

My question is, which scenario should I talk about?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 06:27
Expert's post
In bothe cases, I think the "less successful" situation could make for a good essay IF you can convincingly demonstrate what you learned from the experience. For the situation where you were wrong, you can talk about how you put aside your pride and pursued the other option once you realized that it was the right thing to do. For the time when you were in a bad team, you can talk about what you learned and, ideally, then show how you put these learnings to use in another situation. That last pasrt is what will really make your essay strong, if you have such an experience.

For the situation where you were right and others were wrong, you can write a good essay about how you persuaded others to see your point of view. This is considered a key trait of a good leader. For the high-performing team experience, you can talk about why it was so great, and again, then hopefully talk about how you applied these ideas in later experiences.

MIT is most likely looking for teamwork and leadership traits with these questions, but they're so wide open that you could demonstrate other traits, such as analytical abilities (proving that your idea was good) and creativity. Don't be shy to take the essay in a slightly unconventional direction if you have a good story to tell.

My main piece of advice, though, is to show how you improved on your own performance in later situations using what you learned. Hopefully you will have experiences like this to write about.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews