Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V37
GPA: 9.1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics
Schools:Delhi University
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V37
GPA: 9.1
Send PM
Re: MSc Finance after Msc in Economics+ CEMS = weird? [#permalink]
ronnie987 wrote:
iLemonade wrote:
Hello!

This forum has really helped me with both TOEFL and GMAT preparation but now I would need a different kind of advice.
I currently pursue MSc in Economics and Business Administration at NHH( Norwegian School of Economics) and am enrolled for CEMS MIM programme with exchange at University of St Gallen. I am originally from Belarus and have received my undergraduate degree there (GPA 9,1/10). Although the choice of study place for masters a year ago seemed to be natural to me( free education for non-EU citizens, nice nature, fine school, CEMS, etc) after a while of failed job applications and talks to seniors and alumnis it appeared to be unwise. Besides, i could not even imagine that i would be admitted somewhere so i did not dare to apply to high ranked schools. Since my future job prospects are not so bright for now, I have started thinking about another degree. When I applied for the first masters I was not quite sure what I wanted and went for International Business major as the broadest one. My previous exprerience comprised of 2 internships in marketing and finance in local firms and now i got more interested in finance.

So getting to the point: Do I have a chance to be admitted for MSc Finance at LSE, Oxford,St. Gallen (or maybe something more suitable) with:
GMAT 710(Q 49, V 37), AWA 4.5
TOEFL ibt 105 (expires in October, will retake and hopefully improve)
BBA GPA 9.1/10
Master GPA B ( going to retake exams to improve)
Basically no fancy financial experience
CEMS MIM
24 by that time?

Will i be excluded from applicants' pools since I already have graduate degree?
Will MSc in Finance degree add value to my job application and will I be considered overqualified?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I think you can go forward and apply to school of your choice. There are a large number of people who already have a masters degree. Your GMAT is close to the average of all the schools you listed, therefore, you have a realistic chance at almost all of them.
I have applied to St gallen for masters in finance program. NHH was also my choice but unfortunately i missed the deadline. Since you are a current student overthere, I would like to ask you about the career services provided by NHH for Non-German speaking candidates. I have heard that it has a very strong network with companies advertising a lot of jobs on campus. How true is that?

sorry for very late reply! but i would not recommend NHH in terms of career advice for non-norwegian students. Most companies are looking for scandinavians, limited offers are for others.Career center is totally useless to be honest
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MSc Finance after Msc in Economics+ CEMS = weird? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts