Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: My 10th GMAT [#permalink]
saifa08 wrote:
Hi All

I am taking my 10th GMAT by the end of this month to get 650.

I always looked forward to post my success story but it seems I may never do.

I would appreciate your support.

Thanks

Seriously saifa08, thats a real perseverance out there. Good luck with you test and hope you get higher score this time!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi saifa08,

I looked through some of your old posts and in a post from last September, you had just taken the GMAT for the 7th time. Since you're about to go for your 10th attempt, I'd like to know a bit more about the 8th and 9th attempts and how you've been studying:

1) What were your scores on each of those GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) When did you take those two GMATs?

3) How long have you been studying for this latest attempt?
4) What resources have you been using?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
No matter how you do, just appreciate the hard work you put. Good Luck :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi saifa08,

I looked through some of your old posts and in a post from last September, you had just taken the GMAT for the 7th time. Since you're about to go for your 10th attempt, I'd like to know a bit more about the 8th and 9th attempts and how you've been studying:

1) What were your scores on each of those GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) When did you take those two GMATs?

3) How long have you been studying for this latest attempt?
4) What resources have you been using?

Rich

Thanks all

Hi Rich

my scores were as follow:
GMAT 8: 510 ( I canceled it so I do not remember the break down but my verbal was below 25)
GMAT 9: 530 (Q 42, V 23)

I have been study since January, I enrolled in Kaplan course and used its online resources and quiz bank, books. I also used the OG, Verbal and Quant review and GMAT question bank. Previously I used MGMAT Guides and exams, e-gmat, gmatprep now for verbal. for CAT I used the 4 official GMATprep and Kaplan tests. My scores were between 650 and 700 ( 690 on GMAT prep and 700 on Kaplan exam).

Now I am back to the official guides, GMAT question bank, GMATprep exams and MGMAT exams.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi saifa08,

Your practice CAT scores are considerably higher than your Official GMAT scores. When these types of score drops occur on Test Day, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, listen to music, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

On Test Day:
1) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
2) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
3) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
4) Did you finish any sections early?
5) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
saifa08 wrote:
Hi All

Thanks

Goodluck! I salute you. Keep trying and NEVER give up :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Saifa,

If you have the courage to stand up and give it a fight 10th time then am sure your hard work and dedication will pay off!
Considering your dedication I would be happy to extend my help to you on any Quant related doubt for free.
Wishing You best for your preparation.

Ankit
saifa08 wrote:
Hi All

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My 10th GMAT [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

My responses for your questions as below, nothing unusual during the preparation or the actual exams except anxiety!

However, I know that I do not sleep well before the exam, I tried going to gym and relaxing the night before but never worked. Also somehow I am never sure of my answers during the Verbal section!

Not the AWA section during preperation for the the last two exams, but I did take the whole CATs before. My AWA usually bove 5.
Home and Library
Various time
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, listen to music, etc.)?
No, exam condition
Yes, Kaplan twice and the four offical GAMTpre more than 5 tomes!

On Test Day:
20min by train
No
Water, fruits, redbull
No, usually within seconds to spare
5) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?
No, I guessed for the Quants but not more than 3 question

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi saifa08,

Your practice CAT scores are considerably higher than your Official GMAT scores. When these types of score drops occur on Test Day, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:

On Test Day:

Rich

Originally posted by saifa08 on 17 Jun 2015, 05:14.
Last edited by saifa08 on 17 Jun 2015, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Ankit

Many thanks for your support and offer. Defiantly will keep this in mind and contact you if needed.

Regards

nktdotgupta wrote:
Hi Saifa,

If you have the courage to stand up and give it a fight 10th time then am sure your hard work and dedication will pay off!
Considering your dedication I would be happy to extend my help to you on any Quant related doubt for free.
Wishing You best for your preparation.

Ankit
saifa08 wrote:
Hi All

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
By the way, is there a statistic(s) available on what % of test-takers take the thing a second time?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi saifa08,

The extra information that you've provided is useful - one detail in particular helps to point out a problem with how you've been studying. Retaking a CAT almost always leads to an 'inflated' score, since you end up seeing questions that you've already answered (the CAT ends up being less challenging, easier to finish on time, less stressful, etc.). Since you've reused the Kaplan CATs and GMAC CATs so many times, we CANNOT trust those scores as being accurate.

In real basic terms, your practice CATs have been giving you unrealistic scores while your Official GMAT score is giving you the accurate assessment. Your skills are likely NOT close enough to the 650 level right now to make a 650+ likely on your next GMAT attempt. As such, you might want to push that Test Date back and study with some new resources (and NEW CATs).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich

Thank you for your feedback.

I am not if I need to use any other material since I feel I have used the most recommended ones so far including the Official and MGMAT guides. Also since I have reused the 8 Kaplan CATs and 4 GMAC CATs, any suggestion for different CATs?

I have previously used MGMAT CATs (more than a year ago) and considering using them again or possibly GMATClub CATs.

Thanks

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi saifa08,

The extra information that you've provided is useful - one detail in particular helps to point out a problem with how you've been studying. Retaking a CAT almost always leads to an 'inflated' score, since you end up seeing questions that you've already answered (the CAT ends up being less challenging, easier to finish on time, less stressful, etc.). Since you've reused the Kaplan CATs and GMAC CATs so many times, we CANNOT trust those scores as being accurate.

In real basic terms, your practice CATs have been giving you unrealistic scores while your Official GMAT score is giving you the accurate assessment. Your skills are likely NOT close enough to the 650 level right now to make a 650+ likely on your next GMAT attempt. As such, you might want to push that Test Date back and study with some new resources (and NEW CATs).

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi saifa08,

Since you've used many of the other CAT options, the block of CATs available from Veritas would make sense. It might be tempting to 'rush' through these CATs, but that is NOT how you're going to improve your scores. CATs are just 'measuring devices' - if used correctly, they will give you a reasonable estimate of what you might score on the Official GMAT. Improvements are made by learning/practicing tactics, doing practice problems, reviewing past mistakes (and fixing them), etc.

When was the last time you took a *new* CAT and took the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? What were your scores on that CAT?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Your score looks similar to my 3rd attempt. I got a tutor from optimum prep that helped me tremendously. She was great at explaining and the schedule fit right in with my working schedule.
I retook the test the 4th time and my verbal score was v30, I was confused, I kept getting v35 and up on my practice tests. This time, what I found out is that my nerves get me on the test, I panic to where I can't think or read in the last 10min. so I took this herb that I did research on -Rhodiola rosea for a stress reliever and kept studying and took practice tests every 3 days and on my next attempt I got a v35! Huge improvement for me (was at v21)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Wow you get points for perseverance there. Hopefully all goes well and thats a resilience story you can feel proud of later.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

I have taken two CATs in none exam conditions and I do not not think they can be a useful measures to my performance as I took both just as practices.

Kaplan (retake) 650 (Q 48, V 30)
Veritas 570 (Q 42, V26)

Overall, I know I need to improve the verbal, specially the RC which what I am working on right now, however SC was the weakest in my last official exam.

I am planning to take 3 full CATS before my official exam and will update this post with the score.

I have booked my exam for the end of July and this will be my last chance, I think!

Thanks

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi saifa08,

Since you've used many of the other CAT options, the block of CATs available from Veritas would make sense. It might be tempting to 'rush' through these CATs, but that is NOT how you're going to improve your scores. CATs are just 'measuring devices' - if used correctly, they will give you a reasonable estimate of what you might score on the Official GMAT. Improvements are made by learning/practicing tactics, doing practice problems, reviewing past mistakes (and fixing them), etc.

When was the last time you took a *new* CAT and took the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? What were your scores on that CAT?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your support.

ca662 wrote:
Wow you get points for perseverance there. Hopefully all goes well and thats a resilience story you can feel proud of later.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts